In Austin and the rest of the nation, the business of college sports is changing

Fans of the University of Texas athletics programs may not notice a major difference on the field this fall, but the college sports business model at UT and universities around the country is preparing for a shift.

A bill that passed both chambers of the Texas Legislature and went to the desk of Gov. Greg Abbott June 1 would allow athletes to receive payments for their names, images and likenesses, or NIL, in a move state lawmakers say is an attempt to keep up with the shifting tides of athletic recruiting nationwide.

Senate Bill 1385, authored by state Sen. Brandon Creighton, R-Conroe, would not allow athletes to be paid directly for participation in sports, but they would no longer be prevented under NCAA rules to profit off of endorsement deals and commercial opportunities.

Emily Sparvero, an assistant professor at UT’s College of Education who focuses on sports management, said the change likely will have the biggest initial impact on social media, where athletes will now have the ability to monetize their large followings.

“The way high school students are growing up, people don’t watch TV anymore. In some ways, it’s giving [athletes] the opportunity to take advantage of those social media outlets,” she said. “It’s a natural outgrowth of the work they’re doing to build their brand.”

read more:  https://communityimpact.com/austin/central-austin/government/2021/06/14/in-austin-and-the-rest-of-the-nation-the-business-of-college-sports-is-changing/

• Upvote 1

hypothetical: I own Eastside (oh to be John Williams...)...after the NCAA tourney, I chat with Javion Hamlet about putting this awesome picture on t-shirts that I plan to sell and having him come to the bar for a few hours one evening to sign autographs, take questions and hang out with fans. 

is Javion being a "me, me, me a-hole" if he wants to be compensated for his likeness and time? 

usa_today_15726700.jpeg

• Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1

2 hours ago, Censored by Laurie said:

hypothetical: I own Eastside (oh to be John Williams...)...after the NCAA tourney, I chat with Javion Hamlet about putting this awesome picture on t-shirts that I plan to sell and having him come to the bar for a few hours one evening to sign autographs, take questions and hang out with fans. 

is Javion being a "me, me, me a-hole" if he wants to be compensated for his likeness and time? 

usa_today_15726700.jpeg

He would not be able to use this picture as above.  As I read it, he can only use *his* name, image, or likeness.  Not UNT's.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Censored by Laurie said:

IMO, the burden is on you to want to compensate Javion for his time.  In this version of the hypothetical, if I am Javion, I would have done it regardless but am grateful for the fact that my friends, fans, and family want to support me.

• Upvote 1