ESPN: College Football Playoff Expansion, 12 Team Historic Simulations

1 hour ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Yeah... I'm sure your ECU vs Temple ratings are banging. Or should I switch over to the Tulsa vs Memphis game? Or the Tulane at USF game in USF's empty NFL stadium? You guys have a good media contract.  But ultimately nobody cares about your games all that much either, regardless of how good your commish is at negotiating. 

The AAC gets a good TV contract because they have a great commissioner who takes advantage of a few teams having great seasons. UCF, UH, Memphis, Cincy, and Navy have all had great years at different points and that has translated well to the ESPN folks wanting to sell the David vs Goliath story. And for reasons that just floor me, ESPN acts like SMU is some great story to really celebrate when they are good and love hardening back to the Death Penalty. 

I’ve given up on the AAC teams ever wanting anything to do with other regional teams joining the conference, except for UTSA. Nobody else moves the needle for anyone with pull in the AAC.

Now, the MWC is another story, but that’s got to be a long play…

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Yeah... I'm sure your ECU vs Temple ratings are banging. Or should I switch over to the Tulsa vs Memphis game? Or the Tulane at USF game in USF's empty NFL stadium? You guys have a good media contract.  But ultimately nobody cares about your games all that much either, regardless of how good your commish is at negotiating. 

You hush.  You can see the Houston skyline from their stadium.

• Haha 1
  • Downvote 1

On 6/15/2021 at 2:21 PM, NorthTexasWeLove said:

You do know you can look up TV ratings right?  AAC has a relatively good media contact vs CUSA because it draws better viewership.   There is data for this,unlike some is the magical or wishful thinking from a bizarre few in this board vis expansion.

Plus AAC is defacto P6 in the new playoff structure and quite possibly officially P6 after. Nobody is leaving except to a richer conference.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 1

6 hours ago, DentonStang said:

Plus AAC is defacto P6 in the new playoff structure and quite possibly officially P6 after. Nobody is leaving except to a richer conference.

Not sure five P5 conferences are going to be tripping all over themselves to add any G5 conference (like the AAC) who would only get into their P5 Fort Knox’esque TV revenue package.
 If all this recent NCAA 12 team play-off proposal would have included more TV revenue for G5 conferences (of which the AAC will be part of for the unseeable future) I would have had “more than a yawn” response, but it didn’t.
 The content of the link below all but proves “that the rich really do get richer.”  

https://footballscoop.com/.amp/news/heres-how-much-each-power-5-conference-made-last-year

❇️🦅❇️

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

6 hours ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

Not sure five P5 conferences are going to be tripping all over themselves to add any G5 conference (like the AAC) who would only get into their P5 Fort Knox’esque TV revenue package.
 If all this recent NCAA 12 team play-off proposal would have included more TV revenue for G5 conferences (of which the AAC will be part of for the unseeable future) I would have had “more than a yawn” response, but it didn’t.
 The content of the link below all but proves “that the rich really do get richer.”  

https://footballscoop.com/.amp/news/heres-how-much-each-power-5-conference-made-last-year

❇️🦅❇️

Nobody can argue the playoff format brings any kind of financial parity at all.  But I'm blown away that you would downplay the 6th conference champion spot. Perhaps it's because UNT is not at the level of recruiting where it truly matters yet, but for a good chunk of AAC, plus Boise and some others it is HUGELY transformational for recruiting and prestige, and though it will not being absolute parity, it will increase parity over time.  It is absolutely massive. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, DentonStang said:

Nobody can argue the playoff format brings any kind of financial parity at all.  But I'm blown away that you would downplay the 6th conference champion spot. Perhaps it's because UNT is not at the level of recruiting where it truly matters yet, but for a good chunk of AAC, plus Boise and some others it is HUGELY transformational for recruiting and prestige, and though it will not being absolute parity, it will increase parity over time.  It is absolutely massive. 

It pains me to say this, but you’re right on this. The AAC and MWC are both just better leagues and will end up in really good shape with all of this new playoff scenario of 12 teams. Their champion will never get to host anything or get a bye, so don’t make any mistake in thinking otherwise, but Boise State, UCF, and others can compete and now say they have a path to an actual national championship, which wasn’t the case ever for any G5 before.

As for the 3 lower G5’s, the best thing that can happen to us, beyond the new playoff opportunity, is to have the Big XII stay together. Because that still gives teams in these three leagues the opportunity to get better TV money in the AAC/MWC. 

Until TV doesn’t dictate conference affiliation, and nothing suggests it is going away anytime soon, we are still gonna be behind SMU. It sucks—I can’t stand it, but it’s the reality of the situation. They have the money, the history, and, almost amazingly, media love, mostly from guilt that their program got decimated from cheating for so long back 40 years ago. It’s just frustrating. 

• Downvote 1

38 minutes ago, DentonStang said:

2021 Recruiting Rankings 24/7 - Avg

• Alabama 95.00 (top)
  • SMU  85.46
  • North Texas 83.09
  • Navy 79.64 (AAC)

I wouldn't gloat so much about the recruiting difference between SMU and NT.   You guys are pretty much right there with us and a LONG way from the upper echelon. 

Edited by akriesman
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, DentonStang said:

OMG!😊  When did I say anything about the “6’th conference championship spot?”   You remind me of the ($)turds in Washington who sidestep a question & turn their answers 180 degrees from the original question & into a how bad a country America is.  (Check out how many are illegally busting thru U.S. borders just so they can live in a bad country). 

••• As I recall, when SMU first entered CUSA as a new member the Stangs weren’t exactly setting the woods on fire as a football program, but since y’all won an NC back in the 1930’s(?) y’all were instantly relevant for CUSA.  Nice hard work to get in, SMU.  And the SMU  teams that beat UNT in the early 80’s were Dallas’ 2’nd professional football team.  Maybe y’all could have even beaten the Cowboys back then.  Go figure...
Notice how SMU instituted its post-Portal & massive transfer program almost immediately (as in the next morning?)  after UNT’s drubbing of your favorite team at Apogee & that so UNT would not come to Ford the next season to give y’all a double-dosed  beating in front of your fine distinguished fans?  Would a normal Texas HS recruiting class at the time  have done a one pony trick instead?  I don’t think so.  

Mustang Mania!   Maybe SMU should be working on not so cute’sy  billboards in enemy territory,  but rather filling half the capacity of Ford Stadium when y’all even had a ranked football team?  •••While on that topic, just how many SMU students actually come to home games even when your team is winning? Just curious—that’s all. ❇️🦅❇️ YOU KNOW— If the Green Brigade brings 560 bandsmen to Ford this Fall to fill out all 560 of their sparkling new band uniforms, would that be half of the SMU student body at most home games?   Looking at media pics, it still looks kind of sparse in that newly concocted “reduced seating” student section at Ford to me.  

Stang’?  Really now—just why are you here?  Seems to me you are on a UNT forum promoting all things SMU while at the same time  your moderators on PonyFans censor anything or any comments that have any semblance of a green tint.  ••• At least GMG mods do let you express yourself (but at our expense, of course). 

BTW, UNT now has the Pope on our side & I hope we don’t hear about any of your group sneaking behind our backs trying to get his Holiness to “transfer” his allegiance to—s-m-u. 😱
...All the aforementioned epistle in good fun & in the spirit of a intercollegiate non-rivalry.  

Au revoir.  Stay safe—stay cool!  

71B4A453-5BD2-4FEB-B63C-5BD6B83F73B6.jpeg.7e9556597a7e5062e65ed1b0e985c0ce.jpeg

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, akriesman said:

• Alabama 95.00 (top)
  • SMU  85.46
  • North Texas 83.09
  • Navy 79.64 (AAC)

I wouldn't gloat so much about the recruiting difference between SMU and NT.   You guys are pretty much right there with us and a LONG way from the upper echelon. 

Recruiting rankings don't include transfers, which is how all the AAC schools (obviously excluding Navy) are building right now. Most of our best talent since Dykes arrived has been via transfer.  Most of our best talent we are looking at and fighting for now are transfers. 

33 minutes ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

OMG!😊  When did I say anything about the “6’th conference championship spot?”   

Stang’?  Really now—just why are you here?  Seems to me you are on a UNT forum promoting all things SMU while at the same time  your moderators on PonyFans censor anything or any comments that have any semblance of a green tint.  

1. You said the 12 team playoff structure doesn't get "more than a yawn" because there is no financial component.  Despite not fixing the money, the key element of the playoff is the 6 conference champion auto bids.

2. Never go to pf.  Any competent SMU poster moved to the pay boards like 247 or rivals (most are on 247).  Only the real looney or clueless are on pf, save maybe a couple.

1 hour ago, akriesman said:

• Alabama 95.00 (top)
  • SMU  85.46
  • North Texas 83.09
  • Navy 79.64 (AAC)

Furthermore, your selections of rankings is misleading. It looks like we are very close, but that's a big gap.

Below is how many schools that average is greater than for SMU and UNT by conference:

Big 12: SMU 2, UNT 0

Big 10: SMU 3, UNT 0

PAC: SMU 4, UNT 0

ACC: SMU 5, UNT 0

SEC: SMU 2, UNT 0

And this still doesn't include transfers, which helps us even more

Edited by DentonStang
  • Upvote 2

On 6/18/2021 at 1:23 AM, DentonStang said:

You do know you can look up TV ratings right?  AAC has a relatively good media contact vs CUSA because it draws better viewership.   There is data for this,unlike some is the magical or wishful thinking from a bizarre few in this board vis expansion.

No shit.

Ratings better than CUSA, sure. Peanuts compared to real P5 matchups. 

• Upvote 2

21 hours ago, DentonStang said:

1. You said the 12 team playoff structure doesn't get "more than a yawn" because there is no financial component.  Despite not fixing the money, the key element of the playoff is the 6 conference champion auto bids.

2. Never go to pf.  Any competent SMU poster moved to the pay boards like 247 or rivals (most are on 247).  Only the real looney or clueless are on pf, save maybe a couple.

You're purposefully forgetting the fact that it's the 6 HIGHEST RANKED conference champions. That doesn't submit an auto bid to the AAC by any means.

• Thanks 2

49 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

You're purposefully forgetting the fact that it's the 6 HIGHEST RANKED conference champions. That doesn't submit an auto bid to the AAC by any means.

His argument is the strength of conference schedule helps the AAC whence compared to the other G5 conferences but your point is well taken.

another interesting ramification might be that we see more FCS programs wanting to move up to G5 now that they can boast a place at the playoff table.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, meangreen11 said:

His argument is the strength of conference schedule helps the AAC whence compared to the other G5 conferences but your point is well taken.

another interesting ramification might be that we see more FCS programs wanting to move up to G5 now that they can boast a place at the playoff table.

Oh I know he is, but the data is there. Every G5 conference (with the BS exception of CUSA) would've already had a conference champion playing in the playoffs in this format. He's just bumpin gums. 

• Upvote 2

On 6/18/2021 at 8:47 AM, untjim1995 said:

It pains me to say this, but you’re right on this. The AAC and MWC are both just better leagues and will end up in really good shape with all of this new playoff scenario of 12 teams. Their champion will never get to host anything or get a bye, so don’t make any mistake in thinking otherwise, but Boise State, UCF, and others can compete and now say they have a path to an actual national championship, which wasn’t the case ever for any G5 before.

As for the 3 lower G5’s, the best thing that can happen to us, beyond the new playoff opportunity, is to have the Big XII stay together. Because that still gives teams in these three leagues the opportunity to get better TV money in the AAC/MWC. 

Until TV doesn’t dictate conference affiliation, and nothing suggests it is going away anytime soon, we are still gonna be behind SMU. It sucks—I can’t stand it, but it’s the reality of the situation. They have the money, the history, and, almost amazingly, media love, mostly from guilt that their program got decimated from cheating for so long back 40 years ago. It’s just frustrating. 

Sure. But the MAC and the Sunbelt would've already had representatives too. Don't play into his hand with his half truths. 

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Sure. But the MAC and the Sunbelt would've already had representatives too. Don't play into his hand with his half truths. 

I just think the SBC and MAC having had members make this hypothetical playoff doesn’t change the fact that their conferences aren’t destinations, either. The three Lower G5’s realigning to get geographically closer would help them immensely, but it’s not gonna happen.

• Thanks 1