DRC: Baker, Littrell endorse move to 12-team playoff

Brett Vito

13 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Why do I get the feeling the P5 schools will get a larger increase in the split than the G5 schools

BS! It's still based on polls / rankings. Easily manipulated. It clearly states the highest ranked conference winners get in. So much smoke and mirrors.

• Upvote 2

I know that we will still be screwed but I do believe that it will result in the G5s getting a little (probably should have been Italicized) more money and could be a foot in the door for more equalization or Baker and Littrell wouldn't have signed off on it.

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Ray 1

2 hours ago, GrayEagle said:

I know that we will still be screwed but I do believe that it will result in the G5s getting a little (probably should have been Italicized) more money and could be a foot in the door for more equalization or Baker and Littrell wouldn't have signed off on it.

Heck back in your day it was hard for a school like North Texas to get to a bowl.  Wasn’t that why Hayden Fry left us high and dry?  So yes it has come a very long way and we should be grateful in that particular regard.

Edited by meangreen11
  • Eye Roll 1

I may be stupid, but if there are 10 conferences and you are going to allow 12 teams in the playoffs, wouldn't it make since to put all 10 conference champs in and then the next two highest rated teams that are not conference champs? That way, you are guaranteed five G5 schools. At least then a kid knows that if he goes G5, he has a chance to compete for the biggest prize in the game. May not get there, but at least you have the opportunity. Kind of like basketball.

• Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Venson said:

I may be stupid, but if there are 10 conferences and you are going to allow 12 teams in the playoffs, wouldn't it make since to put all 10 conference champs in and then the next two highest rated teams that are not conference champs? That way, you are guaranteed five G5 schools. At least then a kid knows that if he goes G5, he has a chance to compete for the biggest prize in the game. May not get there, but at least you have the opportunity. Kind of like basketball.

Stop making sense.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Venson said:

common sense lol GIF by Lifetime

4 hours ago, meangreen11 said:

Heck back in your day it was hard for a school like North Texas to get to a bowl.  Wasn’t that why Hayden Fry left us high and dry?  So yes it has come a very long way and we should be grateful in that particular regard.

Well, we had Hayden Fry for 6 years & if anybody left anyone  high & dry it is the same group who in Seth Littrell’s best seasons in Denton left him high & dry as well or in other words—we still had too many empty seats at Apogee even during both his 9 & 2 seasons. It has gotten better as we’ve had record-breaking Freshmen enrollment for about 6 Falls in a row now.

If anyone doesn’t think any NCAA FBS school’s Head Football Coach doesn’t notice attendance we’d all be very naive. 
UNT had an all time single game  student record attendance couple years back & the next week we had a couple drops of rain & then it was—WHERE THE HELL ARE THE STUDENTS?😱

Even TCU went thru a spell where Coach Patterson was getting all over their fans for not showing up en mass & supporting a winning Big 12 football team & then it became about Frog fans tailgating way too long into the 1’st quarter at their Amon Carter Stadium matchups.  Remember this photo of a TCU home game?

BAE48004-6082-45E5-8697-943727132F6A.jpeg.a1bcba8dc125ddcdefbbf46a9f94875b.jpeg

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
To add pic
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Venson said:

Kind of like basketball.

Exactly.  And every sport at every level except FBS football.

I won't deny that this new proposed arrangement gives us a better chance than the 4-team playoff.  But it's still strongly tilted away from us.

And if we cave in on this, what is to stop the P5s from appealing to this precedent in the future, and say, "Not every conference in football gets an autobid....Why should every conference in basketball get an autobid?"?

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

Exactly.  And every sport at every level except FBS football.

I won't deny that this new proposed arrangement gives us a better chance than the 4-team playoff.  But it's still strongly tilted away from us.

And if we cave in on this, what is to stop the P5s from appealing to this precedent in the future, and say, "Not every conference in football gets an autobid....Why should every conference in basketball get an autobid?"?

Maybe we should think, bball is having an influence on football, and not possibly the other way around.

• Skeptical Eagle 1

15 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

There are only 5 of the P5 conferences. So if the Top 6 Conferences champs are in then at least one will get in

You can bet they will try to get Notre Dame or BYU in that slot before a G5.

Edited by 97and03