12 team model looks likely for Playoff

Let's see 

• 5 teams - P5 Conference Champs
  • 1 team   - Highest rate G5 team
  • 4 teams - Next 5 highest ranked teams **
  • 2 teams - At-Large - So they can make sure a team like Notre Dame or Texas get in

** Not more than 3 teams from any one conference

Another change I would like to see - No more split conferences. Play every team in your conference like the B12 does

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Let's see 

• 2 teams - At-Large - So they can make sure a team like Notre Dame or Texas get in

Another change I would like to see - No more split conferences. Play every team in your conference like the B12 does

If we're talking 12, then each G5 should have their champ represented as well.   Having just the 1 highest-ranked G5 represented should be satisfactory for an 8-team playoff (which is where it actually should land).

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 2

From a purely spectator standpoint, I would love to watch these games. Pure entertainment value.

Pragmatist in me says that anyone outside of top 5 or 6 will just decide to sit out for NFL draft until the playing field is leveled. It'll still just be clemson/alabama/ou/ohio...whatever. 

Doesn't solve the problem, but it's a foot in the door.

• Upvote 3

7 hours ago, Moobs said:

G5 needs to do their own playoff and anoint their own national champion. 

If we are all FBS, there can be only one FBS champion.

It's the paradox of our times: The P5s desperately don't want to include us in their partie$, but we are all by NCAA definition supposed to be on the same playing field.

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 4
  • Confused 1

On 6/8/2021 at 1:18 PM, Texas Stranger said:

Yep.  All 10 FBS conference champs + 2 At Large.

This will catch all the Top 5 (usually)

100% agree, plus this could set up a psedo-“March Madness” where you have first round upsets and Cinderellas. It could be very exciting.

• Upvote 3

23 hours ago, 97and03 said:

I just think it is disgusting that Notre Dame gets the same day that a 10 or 16 team conference gets. 

When the old timer traditionalists relinquish their power, there will be a happening that takes place in regards to Notre Dame. They will either be forced to full time join OR they will be left to the wayside. Either way, it's not far away. They're feeling somewhat pressure hence their decision to part-time associate themselves with the ACC a few years back. Eventually, their hand will be forced. 

On 6/8/2021 at 4:14 PM, Moobs said:

G5 needs to do their own playoff and anoint their own national champion. 

Yuck. No. 

On 6/8/2021 at 1:18 PM, Texas Stranger said:

Yep.  All 10 FBS conference champs + 2 At Large.

This will catch all the Top 5 (usually)

Will never happen. That type of "seat" isn't even afforded in non-football sports. We just need a seat. I mean, in the theory of fairness and equality, sure. That would be the logical things to do. But, it will not happen. A spot, MAYBE 2 spots at the very most will be set aside for "G5" universities. 

On 6/8/2021 at 1:09 PM, El Paso Eagle said:

Let's see 

This will be somewhat accurate to what they do. 

Nevertheless, this is excellent news. This puts someone at the table to fight for a title. 

• Upvote 3
  • Confused 1

I’d be thrilled with any G5 team being given a chance in a playoff setup. It would be the best thing to ever happen to schools in our current status. And it can really help in recruiting, as everybody can say they now truly have a chance to play for a national championship.

Quite honestly, I never imagined the P5s letting it happen. But the current system is just completely boring and has really made non Playoff bowls almost seem worthless, unless your team Is playing in it. Ratings and fan interest was swooning with the same teams always being in the “playoff” picture. Bama, Clemson, Ohio State, OU, ND, UGa, and LSU are basically the teams in the hunt every year. When you have 66 Power teams, as well as 64 G5’s, that’s a lot of teams to basically stop caring as soon as their teams are left behind.

• Upvote 3

17 minutes ago, Monkeypox said:

Proposal currently is:

6 highest-ranked conference champions

6 next highest-ranked teams

NO LIMIT ON NUMBER OF CONFERENCE MEMBERS IN PLAYOFF

The best conference in CFB, the SEC, will look to establish/reinforce their dominance. The more of them in the playoffs, the better, they’d say.

there were four SEC a teams in the final CFB Playoff rankings Top 10 last year. It’ll be interesting to see what that kind of scenario would do to the rest of CFB. How would we, or even other P5 conferences, feel if one-third of the 12-team playoffs are SEC?

Having said that, this current proposal seems to almost (not certainly) guarantee that we will no longer see an undefeated G5 team left out.

• Upvote 1