UNT predicted to only win 2.5 conf games in 2021

• meangreen11 changed the title to UNT predicted to only win 2.5 conf games in 2021
18 hours ago, meangreen11 said:

Maybe, they still think we have a D-coordinator from ( of all places) Kansas!!!

Our season will depend on the D-side of the ball totally. Basically, that's why we went so heavy on that side of the line this year. Losing 40+ to our oppositions 50+ is telling. I pray the money we are spending on D will show up in the Win column since we will be able to score points with who we have on the field this fall. But, can we stop the other's from scoring?

Edited by Mo Green
Ironic that no matter where we go in the win/loss column we will win more than Kansas U!
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Mo Green said:

Maybe, they still think we have a D-coordinator from ( of all places) Kansas!!!

Our season will depend on the D-side of the ball totally. Basically, that's why we went so heavy on that side of the line this year. Losing 40+ to our oppositions 50+ is telling. I pray the money we are spending on D will show up in the Win column since we will be able to score points with who we have on the field this fall. But, can we stop the other's from scoring?

When Phil Bennett was at Baylor, under Art Briles, as their DC, Briles made it known to him that his job was to make at least one stop per half and our offense will do the rest. Briles and SL are both from the Mike Leach coaching tree, where defense is a pure after thought. At Baylor, their defense eventually got pretty good, but it was about 3 years in and by that time, Baylor's offense was amongst the best in the country, so teams were falling behind and having to pass more to get back in those games, which led to more turnovers and more stops.

Look, I like Phil Bennett as our DC. But I think its gonna take at least this year to get them used to his scheme and for him to see who can actually play that scheme. And the schedule is not going to make his job any easier for the few couple of months of the season. My guess is 2022, at the earliest, is when we could see his scheme help make a difference here, but there are so many variables to consider with that possibility, its hard to feel like there is any certainty in that guess. But if SL is still here in 2022 AND if his QB play is strong, that's when I could see defense being a bigger success here than it has been during SL's tenure.

• Upvote 2
  • Sad 1

Personally, I think CUSA, as a whole, is a toss-up this year.  Sadly, utsa, probably has the strongest team in the West with the most returning talent.  La Tech and USM are replacing QB's and other talent.  If Bennett can get our defense squared away, then there is no reason we can win the west.  I would argue that we have the best talent and now have the coaching staff to pull it all together.  Bennett and Gush have skins on the wall, Joseph is an up and coming coach, and the remainder of the staff is strong.  It is time to put it all together and that is my expectation.  I don't look at anyone in the West and think we can't beat them.  You can include CUSA East as well.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1

I think there are many reasons to be optimistic about next year.

Also I don't think you can really judge the effect of the virus on last season's results.  The year before was an obvious rebuilding season.  

Positives are a substantial uptick in recruiting rankings, a hopefully much better defensive coaching staff and NT plays in CUSA.   A league that is far from strong and doesn't have a real dominant team. 

Add with all the transfers, predicting winners and losers is close to impossible.  

I don't think there is any real basis for picking NT to have a good season.   However,  there is also no firm basis to pick as low as predictions.   

• Upvote 2

I feel like we have one for-sure win in conference play, which is UTEP, then games that I think we should compete well in/win (@Rice, @USM, and @FIU) during conference play. UAB, @LT, Marshall, and UTSA all appear to be much farther along in talent and size than we are currently, so it'd take an upset or two to get to .500. It makes the Northwestern State game an absolute must-win, in my opinion.  

• Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

9 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

I feel like we have one for-sure win in conference play, which is UTEP, then games that I think we should compete well in/win (@Rice, @USM, and @FIU) during conference play. UAB, @LT, Marshall, and UTSA all appear to be much farther along in talent and size than we are currently, so it'd take an upset or two to get to .500. It makes the Northwestern State game an absolute must-win, in my opinion.  

How do you assess those teams are more talented? I can see an argument for it but I wonder what your metric is for that assessment. Our 2017 recruiting class was pretty weak but there are three guys from that class in the NFL and another at UCLA now so there clearly was some talent. Plus Siggers and Novil. Since then the trend has been steadily upwards, including the second place class the last two years. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, 97and03 said:

How do you assess those teams are more talented? I can see an argument for it but I wonder what your metric is for that assessment. Our 2017 recruiting class was pretty weak but there are three guys from that class in the NFL and another at UCLA now so there clearly was some talent. Plus Siggers and Novil. Since then the trend has been steadily upwards, including the second place class the last two years. 

Those teams ahead of just have better combos of physical talent, especially up front, and have head coaches that have skins on the wall, except for UTSA’s coach. I just don’t think we have the physicality or the defensive talent to keep up with them.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

Those teams ahead of just have better combos of physical talent, especially up front, and have head coaches that have skins on the wall, except for UTSA’s coach. I just don’t think we have the physicality or the defensive talent to keep up with them.

Ok so just your personal eyeball test. And coaching is a different argument than player talent. I am not rejecting your argument that those teams might be better coached, but that is a separate discussion. On pure athletic talent/potential, our last three classes are superior (excluding any transfers in and out) than those teams. Whether  SL can do anything with it going forward is debatable. 

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, 97and03 said:

Ok so just your personal eyeball test. And coaching is a different argument than player talent. I am not rejecting your argument that those teams might be better coached, but that is a separate discussion. On pure athletic talent/potential, our last three classes are superior (excluding any transfers in and out) than those teams. Whether  SL can do anything with it going forward is debatable. 

So what do you expect this year to look like, record wise? Im On record for 4-8, but can easily see it being off on either side by a game or two.

• Upvote 1