Seth Littrell's future

untjim1995

Its been a long time since I have seen a coach who literally has hit the crossroads of his career as a head coach at this level. Anything can happen to him after this upcoming season...he could be fired, he could be extended, he could get to come back for one more year (with everything on the line again), or he could conceivably have an incredible year and get hired away. Here's the look at each possibility:

To get hired away, we would have to have an incredible season--like 9+ wins, a division title, and a conference championship/bowl win--to get P5s to think he has really found the touch again and is a bright offensive mind. Obviously, the chances of this happening seem incredibly remote, but they are possible because CUSA is unpredictable and SL may have a few tricks under his sleeve with this roster.

To get extended, basically SL needs to win 7+ games and that probably has to include winning something of importance (division title, conference title, or bowl win), again, that seems unlikely with this schedule and the questions at QB and the new coordinators, as well as the questions we still have on the defense.

To get fired, it would seem like anything under 5 wins would be an automatic trigger here. Seems very likely, but hopeful that SL doesn't have to endure this because we achieve a higher amount of success. Also, see below...

To stay for another year, that would be completely about saving $1.3 million dollars in buyout money, which would be able to get this down to a manageable buyout if its just one season. We have bought out a higher amount to get rid of McCarney after the PSU debacle on Homecoming, so its kind of out there that we will buy out a contract...but its also at a university that is traditionally known to hold off on big money decisions until they become "affordable". This also seems possible, but I think SL has to win 4-6 games to stay without an extension and have one final year to make it happen.

Obviously, it will be very interesting to see where and how this plays out...

• Upvote 5
  • Lovely Take 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Downvote 2

Just now, Tom McKrackin said:

I doubt many see this happening given the schedule.

I agree, but I do think many on this board think we will win more than 6 games this season and will say that he should be able to at this juncture of his tenure here, which is tough to argue. BUt that defensive philosophy from the Leach tree ain't changin' anytime soon. And I think that he's got to have INCREDIBLE QB play to make it work for his system and he hasn't ahs that since Mason finished his Junior year. After that, Graham Harrell left and the cumulative beating Fine took finally caught up to him his senior year, when our OLine was even worse than it had been before his last year. Maybe he gets that from one of his QBs this fall, but if he does, it will basically come from out of nowhere. Aune or Ruder have a lot to prove--and that doesn't usually make 6+ wins become a reality if neither of them can assert themselves. And, as you mentioned, that schedule, especially the first half of the season, is  just brutal for where we are right now as a program. Brutal.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

The bottom line is the Mean Green need to win and win as many games as possible.  With the schedules we have and the teams we play it is unacceptable not to win 6 plus games, year in and year out.  Until we consistently win games and at least 6 a year, any head football coach at UNT should be sweating for his job.  I like SL but he needs to win again and soon.

GO MEAN GREEN!!!
WIN GAMES!!!

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, GrandGreen said:

You are discussing extensions, the real issue is whether he will keep his job.

Yes, 7+ wins would probably mean a new contract, at NT or somewhere else.

Less than 5 wins and a contract buyout and termination may happen.   Five to six wins and probably nothing happens. . 

I maybe drinking the green kool aid, but I think NT has the intra-structure, location and budget to be dominant in CUSA football.    Mediocre seasons should not be tolerated. 

Let's hope for the best for Seth and North Texas. His success next season will bode well for our long term success

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Hunter Green said:

Let's hope for the best for Seth and North Texas. His success next season will bode well for our long term success

Correct. Seth has had very good recruiting classes the past two years. If he leaves, with the ease and popularity of the portal, we could have quite a few players take off

• Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Ray 1

6 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Only two options unless we go 0-fer.

He has a great year and gets hired away.  Otherwise, he will be here a minimum of two more years.  I hope he is successful and has a long, great career at UNT.

Anyone catch the show on ESPN about Coach K called "The Class That Saved Coach K"?  He was basically a .500 coach prior to the class of Johnny Dawkins, Jay Bilas, Mark Alarie, David Henderson and Weldon Williams.  His record since then is incredible.  Hope SL has found his class.

It really is all up to Wren.  If Wren is happy and can settle for ending up at North Texas Seth may retire here.  If Wren is wanting to move up the AD food chain he will fire Littrell for another mediocre season.  I tend to think it is somewhere in between.  I seriously doubt Phil Bennett decided to come out of retirement only to be be shown the door along with Littrell after this season.  My spidey sense says that he has two more years and the pressure to win comes hard in 2022.

• Upvote 5

42 minutes ago, RBP79 said:

Seth can win 6.....we're in CUSA-West for God sake!

I think the years of the CUSA west being a dumpster fire are over. Rice is vastly improving, UTSA is probably the best team in the conference *gag*, Southern Miss was so young last year they should be back to 6-7 wins, La Tech might have a down year but usually consistent, and UAB is a top team in the conference.

UTEP is just UTEP, Dimel has destroyed the program even more than it already was…

My point is, we missed the window to dominate and now we have to reevaluate each year while other teams are gaining momentum.

I think we should be fine this year , but Seth wasted 4 years worth of opportunities to win a championship. 

Edited by NorthTexasSportsNetwork
  • Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

You are discussing extensions, the real issue is whether he will keep his job.

Yes, 7+ wins would probably mean a new contract, at NT or somewhere else.

Less than 5 wins and a contract buyout and termination may happen.   Five to six wins and probably nothing happens. 

I maybe drinking the green kool aid, but I think NT has the intra-structure, location and budget to be dominant in CUSA football.    Mediocre seasons should not be tolerated. 

Very 

Very true. It’s like Texas, they have all the amenities  to succeed but can’t.

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 1

I can't believe some are thinking Littrell is safe after this year if he has a less than .500 season because Bennet has a two year contract.  

All NT fans and I hope Littrell and NT have a great year.  

However if he doesn't, worrying about a sub-par coach leaving because NT will lose players is suspect. 

What makes those with this view think that a new hopefully better coach couldn't recruit as good or better?   

Edited by GrandGreen
  • Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

6 hours ago, Tom McKrackin said:

I doubt many see this happening given the schedule.  So in that sense your criteria seems unrealistic.  Other than that I agree with you premise.

It may be unrealistic, but compared to what we are paying him vs the others, it *should* be realistic. Earn what you make!

• Upvote 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Downvote 2

12 minutes ago, golfingomez said:

i don't think he gets hired away unless he wins 11 jobs... i think the P5 would notice the 3 years of mediocrity after his first 2 seasons (yes, the 9-4 season was mediocre)

SL is widely respected for his offensive mind.  It's not out of the question that they overlook the 3 years of mediocrity.  Someone out there could think, "he has figured it out."

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, greenminer said:

SL is widely respected for his offensive mind.  It's not out of the question that they overlook the 3 years of mediocrity.  Someone out there could think, "he has figured it out."

I could see him getting hired as an OC at a p5, again, but that's not his career trajectory. No one is going to look at him (at this stage) and say he's a complete head coach package though. 

• Upvote 3

29 minutes ago, greenminer said:

Agree and he will always have a place at a P5  as OC based on what he can do with that side of the ball.

• Upvote 2

59 minutes ago, golfingomez said:

i don't think he gets hired away unless he wins 11 jobs... i think the P5 would notice the 3 years of mediocrity after his first 2 seasons (yes, the 9-4 season was mediocre)

That 9-4 season finished rather blah, mostly because SL and GH were at the top of the wish lists for several openings, but to the strong majority of the CFB world, his success in his first three years here were considered damn near miraculous. Him coming back here for Mason Fine's senior season was basically thought to be his swan song here, at least until the wheels fell off and Fine was pounded into the ground over and over.

• Upvote 3

25 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

That 9-4 season finished rather blah, mostly because SL and GH were at the top of the wish lists for several openings, but to the strong majority of the CFB world, his success in his first three years here were considered damn near miraculous. Him coming back here for Mason Fine's senior season was basically thought to be his swan song here, at least until the wheels fell off and Fine was pounded into the ground over and over.

langston.jpg?width=300

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

21 hours ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

UTEP is just UTEP, Dimel has destroyed the program even more than it already was…

Even during their bad time it seemed a lot of Miner fans were always optimistically hopeful. Dimel seems to have crushed the souls of even the biggest Miner fans. This man needs to go.

• Upvote 2