Jaelon Darden Updates

MEEN2018

11 hours ago, meangreen11 said:

No more much much more…

For this season only, I think the Dunbar comparison isn’t too far off. Dunbar maxed out at 316 tards of total offense and I bet Darden finishes with around around 300-500 yards of total offense. They still have 3 All-Pro WRs in Mike Evans, Chris Godwin, and Antonio Brown ahead of him. Those three combined will probably be around 2,800 yards receiving. Then you have Scotty Miller as the WR4/5 who had 500 yards receiving last year and Tyler Johnson, who they really like, who had 170 yards receiving last year. That doesn’t include Gronkowski, OJ Howard, and Cam Brate at TE who will get lots of snaps and targets. The amount of talent on offense that they have is basically unfair. They basically have like 9-10 WRs/TEs that would easily be starters on most teams in the NFL.

Darden’s year is really going to be next year and beyond. From how Antonio Brown caught fire down the stretch after signing midseason and from the rave reviews he’s gotten in camp so far (reports are that he’s been the best WR in camp), I bet AB moves on after this year. That would open the WR3 role for Darden.

• Upvote 1

Bucs rookie receiver Jaelon Darden knows a thing or two about tough routes

TAMPA — The fluttering trinity is inscribed in black ink on the outer edge of his right calf. Three butterflies, vertically aligned, floating skyward.

Toward heaven, by way of Jaelon Darden’s heart.

“My granny, my dad and then my other granny. They all passed, so that’s what the butterflies mean,” the Bucs rookie receiver said late Saturday morning. “I actually saw one today, so I know he’s watching over me — or one of them.”

Sort of stands to reason that Darden’s first order of business as a professional football player likely will be to field a punt, which requires gazing upward. A moment frozen in hang time for a son who lost his dad 15 months ago.

read more: https://www.tampabay.com/sports/bucs/2021/08/10/bucs-rookie-receiver-jaelon-darden-knows-a-thing-or-two-about-tough-routes/

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

@ntexeagle Or other TB fans - Any word on how Brooks and Hamilton are doing?

From what I’ve read and seen I doubt either makes the team. I’ve seen them make a few plays here and there but seems like most of what I’ve seen hasn’t been too positive. However, both would make it mostly off of special teams so the preseason games will be huge for both of them. I’d say Brooks has a better chance than Hamilton if I had to guess. 

Edited by MEEN2018
  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 2

Wide Receiver – The Bucs' top four remain the same as last year with starters Mike Evans and Chris Godwin backed up by Antonio Brown and Scotty Miller. Brown took most of the snaps in three-receiver sets after arriving at midseason in 2020 but Miller was the source of a string of big plays, including an enormous touchdown in the NFC Championship Game. Jaydon Mickens and Tyler Johnson occupy the fifth and sixth spots at the moment but have plenty of competition from rookie fourth-rounder Jaelon Darden, first-year man Travis Jonsen and others. Mickens and Darden are the top two competitors for the return job, as well, which could prompt the Bucs to go seven deep at receiver if possible.

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, southsideguy said:

Thought Darden was doing better than that.

It is the depth chart for the first preseason game. Teams basically have their depth chart from last year and add the rookies in at the end. There isn’t much thought to it as they only release it bc they are required to by the NFL. He has had a great camp so far.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 2