Jaelon Darden Updates

MEEN2018

It’s amazing how fluid NFL rosters are beyond their 1s and 2s. Darden is a great player, and likely a great addition to an NFL roster, but because he’s stuck one or two deep below an all-pro, he’s going to have to constantly prove himself worthy of a contract.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I followed him quite a bit last year and TB seemed frustrated with him not knowing the playbook, etc...  After watching how hard he worked here, I was surprised to read that.  I really hope he sticks.

• Upvote 1

Just now, UNTLifer said:

I followed him quite a bit last year and TB seemed frustrated with him not knowing the playbook, etc...  After watching how hard he worked here, I was surprised to read that.  I really hope he sticks.

That's always been the knock on Air Raid receivers.   The Air Raid playbook/route tree is small, and predicated on repetition and the QB knowing where the receivers are going to be while reading defenses pre-snap to know where to throw the ball.

Obviously, a pro-style offense is going to require a lot more routes & offensive understanding from the receivers.   Definitely not saying Darden can't do it, but I can understand it being a tough transition early.   

Darden puts in the work, we know that.   He'll come through.  Special player.

• Upvote 3

He is playing under tough circumstances, I mean the best QB in NFL history is throwing the ball to you. 
He is talented enough to be a key role player, hopefully this first season gave him more to look at and reevaluate what he needs to do to stick.

Giving up on a guy they purposely traded up for would be odd…

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 1

21 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

That's always been the knock on Air Raid receivers.   The Air Raid playbook/route tree is small, and predicated on repetition and the QB knowing where the receivers are going to be while reading defenses pre-snap to know where to throw the ball.

Obviously, a pro-style offense is going to require a lot more routes & offensive understanding from the receivers.   Definitely not saying Darden can't do it, but I can understand it being a tough transition early.   

Darden puts in the work, we know that.   He'll come through.  Special player.

It'd probably help if he got a bit more reps. He could barely sniff the field last year other than punt returns. I realize he needs to prove himself in practice first but some players perform differently in games. I follow him on Instagram and it seems he's working every single day. I really hope he succeeds somewhere in the NFL.

• Upvote 3

15 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

It'd probably help if he got a bit more reps. He could barely sniff the field last year other than punt returns. I realize he needs to prove himself in practice first but some players perform differently in games. I follow him on Instagram and it seems he's working every single day. I really hope he succeeds somewhere in the NFL.

With the guys they had ahead of him, there aren’t many you’d want to steal reps from.

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

With the guys they had ahead of him, there aren’t many you’d want to steal reps from.

Yeah absolutely. Initially I thought he landed in a great spot with Brady at QB and the veteran talent on the roster but now it seems that may be hindering his development. My hope is gets a chance to show a little something and can land somewhere else after his rookie contract.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, GMG_Dallas said:

Certainly didn't help his cause that when he did get reps he was pouting if he wasn't the primary. He didn't even put his mouth guard in when it wasn't a passing play. He looked checked out. 

• Upvote 3
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

48 minutes ago, SteaminWillieBeamin said:

Certainly didn't help his cause that when he did get reps he was pouting if he wasn't the primary. He didn't even put his mouth guard in when it wasn't a passing play. He looked checked out. 

I did not notice that. Certainly disappointing, if true.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, SteaminWillieBeamin said:

Yep.  Read a number of comments from Bucs' fans that were none too happy.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Yep.  Read a number of comments from Bucs' fans that were none too happy.

I had read some criticism from their fan site about some of his punt returns looked tentative or calling for fair catches too early, but maybe it was just fans wanting more action?

• Upvote 2

On 5/19/2022 at 8:56 AM, GMG_Dallas said:

Yeah absolutely. Initially I thought he landed in a great spot with Brady at QB and the veteran talent on the roster but now it seems that may be hindering his development. My hope is gets a chance to show a little something and can land somewhere else after his rookie contract.

The Antonio Brown experiment hurt him drastically.  Darden is perfect take at least 1/3 of the snaps they would have with a WR in the slot.  With AB there he took all those snaps.  Not to mention being a A-hole that I don't think would mentor a young player it turn from a great situation to a challenging once when AB joined the roster.

Edited by Mike Jackson
  • Upvote 3

• 3 weeks later...