Jaelon Darden Updates

MEEN2018

Some thoughts from a Bucs blog are positive on Darden's night...

https://thepewterplank.com/2021/08/15/buccaneers-key-takeaways-2021-preseason/2/

Jaelon Darden 

Get Darden the ball in his hands. Whether through screen passes, punt or kick returns, or as a downfield receiver, Darden made every play feel dangerous. The Bucs hit a home run on their recent fourth-round pick, and he makes a compelling case to steal some reps from the likes of Scotty Miller this season.

• Upvote 4

This is BIG! With how deep the Bucs are at every position, unless Hambone and Brooks started playing defense at NFL All-Pro levels, how they are playing on defense isn’t nearly as important as special teams play for them to make the team. The only thing the Bucs really needed to improve on was special teams play so this is a huge step forward for them making the team. Brooks also had a big pass breakup at the goal line that saved a TD in the first preseason game. Obviously only 1 game, but I’d say they went from being clear cut candidates to having a shot to make the team. The Bucs already cut a rookie corner they seemed pretty high on after the game, so I’d say that is another good indication for Brooks.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, UNT 90 Grad said:

Darden had 2 receptions for 18 total yards (long of 12) in yesterday’s Tampa Bay loss to the Titans.  He was thrown to 4 times. 

He didn’t have the best game. He dropped a long pass that he should’ve had. On his 12 yard catch, it was 3rd and 13 and he ran backwards and lost yardage to not get the first down. He also fumbled a punt return and didn’t have a great night of kick returns. He lost ground to Tyler Johnson for WR5 spot so Darden is clearly in the WR6 spot. Will still make the team but needs to clean up his drops that he has had recently in practice and games.

In other UNT news, Nate Brooks got cut. He had a huge offsides penalty on a 3rd down stop that gave the Titans a first down. Also gave up a big TD, so kinda saw it coming. 

• Sad 2

On 8/23/2021 at 6:02 AM, jtm0097 said:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/08/22/tom-brady-bucs-training-camp-nfl-fmia-peter-king/

Peter King Football in America article about Tom Brady mentoring Jaelon Darden. Pretty cool to read this.

Tom kinda has a ventured interest in this pick considering he told Arians personally to select him. 

• Upvote 3

I don’t think North Texas folk in general realize what this Darden Brady connection could mean for North Texas.  It would literally be the biggest national story UNT has had as a University since probably Mean Joe Greene or perhaps Charles Whitman.  We have not had an offensive player of this caliber in the NFL in the history of the program.

• Upvote 3
  • RV 1
  • Confused 2
  • Oh Boy! 2
  • Eye Roll 1

On 8/24/2021 at 10:12 AM, Tom McKrackin said:

It would literally be the biggest national story UNT has had as a University since probably Mean Joe Greene or perhaps Charles Whitman.  

Ummm, he didn't attend North Texas.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

I don’t think North Texas folk in general realize what this Darden Brady connection could mean for North Texas.  It would literally be the biggest national story UNT has had as a University since probably Mean Joe Greene or perhaps Charles Whitman.  We have not had an offensive player of this caliber in the NFL in the history of the program.

I think you mean Charles "Tex" Watson 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

I would be pleasantly surprised if we see anything like this within the next few years.  My understanding is it takes years for QB-WR relationships to develop.  Aren't there a couple all-Pros ahead of JD, too?

I'm also not convinced (here come the downvotes) that JD will see a career much different than Lance's: situational, a couple explosive plays to raise our glass to every now and then, but not an every down guy.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

9 minutes ago, greenminer said:

I would be pleasantly surprised if we see anything like this within the next few years.  My understanding is it takes years for QB-WR relationships to develop.  Aren't there a couple all-Pros ahead of JD, too?

I'm also not convinced (here come the downvotes) that JD will see a career much different than Lance's: situational, a couple explosive plays to raise our glass to every now and then, but not an every down guy.

Very good points. I think one of the most positives is that TB seems to want him to be a player. JD is in a great place to learn and develop. It's nice seeing him and Guyton progressing.

One more follow-up:

I have been reading the Tom Brady-JD saga and never interpreted this as Brady seeing JD as a future all-Pro or every-down guy.  Brady sees JD as a perfect fit for what the team needs, and simply wants to help him feel comfortable and maybe bring him up to speed a little faster than what would otherwise happen.

Just my 0.02.  If JD turns all-Pro, I'd be ecstatic to be wrong.

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 2