Further evidence the transfer portal is the only way to go

The Bobcats almost took down rival SMU, fell in double-overtime to UTSA by a field goal, lost to P5 Boston College on the road, 24-21 - among several other "close calls." And while coming close may only work in horseshoes and hand grenades, it definitely shows that Jake Spavital has this Texas State program trending in the right direction. While most other programs have been focused on recruiting high school players to develop in their system, Spavital has been signing JUCO transfers and cleaning up in the transfer portal. On paper, that looks like the quickest way to build a winner.

read more:  https://www.bcsnn.com/football/556-texas-state-football-transfer-portal-makes-2021-wide-open-for-the-bobcats

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 4

Burning bridges to high school recruits seems like a bad idea on paper, but it might work out for them with the extra COVID year. 

They likely won't be as backlogged on future classes because they have a bunch of guys who are there more short term. Could go either way. I don't think Spavital is going to be there much longer, but who knows

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

10 hours ago, greenminer said:

Didn't feel like this was worthy of its own thread.

...don't like your PT? This guy didn't.  So he entered the portal then showed the world [apparently] why.

Yeah, he's dangerous. Baits his defender with false steps on his breaks. Alphas the ball away from defenders. Splits defenders with burst acceleration. High points well on fades for his size. Strong hands allows him to pluck the ball extremely well. Where do I sign up? 

• Upvote 2

On 6/1/2021 at 2:11 PM, emmitt01 said:

This is a series I have long said we should enter into.  Drivable both ways and San Marcos is a good place to stay overnight for a game.

Couldn't agree more. San Marcos is the prettiest college town in Texas, has a great night life, rivers, not far from amazing BBQ, etc. 

• Upvote 2

On 6/3/2021 at 9:40 AM, DentonLurker said:

Couldn't agree more. San Marcos is the prettiest college town in Texas, has a great night life, rivers, not far from amazing BBQ, etc. 

second.

let's get Sol Ross up to D1 and schedule that yearly home and home. 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Censored by Laurie said:

second.

let's get Sol Ross up to D1 and schedule that yearly home and home. 

As someone who grew up in West Texas and visited Alpine frequently (and not because it was some hipster instagram thing to do), I agree.

For as ugly as it can be in certain places, the Chihuahuan Desert has some breathtaking views. 

• Upvote 3

15 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

As someone who grew up in West Texas and visited Alpine frequently (and not because it was some hipster instagram thing to do), I agree.

For as ugly as it can be in certain places, the Chihuahuan Desert has some breathtaking views. 

I love the progression of Marfa-Alpine-Marathon. from fake Prada store for the 'gram and $200/night hotels, to quaint college town, to old school West Texas stop-light town...all within 50 miles or so. 

• Upvote 1