DRC: Key UNT women's basketball player headed to the portal

I think she is leaving because of the incoming talent. Her playing time will probably dwindle and maybe she was told that so she could start looking now. You have a healthy Randy Thompson coming back along with the two transfers coming in and the high schoolers that are set to arrive. I don't think this hurts as much as it seems on the surface.

• Upvote 2
  • Confused 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Downvote 2

57 minutes ago, Venson said:

I think she is leaving because of the incoming talent. Her playing time will probably dwindle and maybe she was told that so she could start looking now. You have a healthy Randy Thompson coming back along with the two transfers coming in and the high schoolers that are set to arrive. I don't think this hurts as much as it seems on the surface.

DEBBIE DOWNER: Bare minimum this kind of loss hurts depth.
OPTIMIST: We are better equipped than normal to deal with this loss.
RON BURGUNDY: If I were to give you some money out of my wallet, would that ease the pain?

1497881882-ron-burgundy.jpg?resize=768:*

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 2

Boyd was a good player and I believe a loss.  As with many of these transfers, you don't know what the motivation is.  

Mitchell did not sign a grad transfer pg not to play.  Boyd could have been recruited somewhere else, and Mitchell signed another pg because of that knowledge.   

Boyd certainly was not run off, she was recruited elsewhere or truly wants to test the waters. 

The positive is, Mitchell will recruit a good player to replace her.  

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 2

3 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

Mitchell did not sign a grad transfer pg not to play.  Boyd could have been recruited somewhere else, and Mitchell signed another pg because of that knowledge.

Are you saying Boyd was a grad transfer? She was not a grad transfer. She came to us directly out of Mesquite Horn. She was a true Freshman last year. This year Mitchell signed a grad transfer guard from Fresno State named Aly Gamez and she was a starter at Fresno State. She also signed Chloe Callahan a guard  out of Canyon High School, a 4A program. She is an All State Guard who was also the state tournament MVP on the state champion team. She also signed Kendall McGruder, a guard at South Grand Prairie, a 6A program. McGruder is also a McDonald's All American. That's three guards that I feel will be an upgrade to N'Yah Boyd. Sure Boyd adds depth and experience, but I just don't think it hurts too much. Like Rochelle Lee left and I think it was because of the way that Emma Villas-Gomis came on at the end in my opinion. She ended up at NC A&T which is certainly a step down from UNT. I just do not see her landing at a program better than ours. I personally think she doesn't want to compete against the incoming talent.

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, Venson said:

Are you saying Boyd was a grad transfer? She was not a grad transfer. She came to us directly out of Mesquite Horn. She was a true Freshman last year. This year Mitchell signed a grad transfer guard from Fresno State named Aly Gamez and she was a starter at Fresno State. She also signed Chloe Callahan a guard  out of Canyon High School, a 4A program. She is an All State Guard who was also the state tournament MVP on the state champion team. She also signed Kendall McGruder, a guard at South Grand Prairie, a 6A program. McGruder is also a McDonald's All American. That's three guards that I feel will be an upgrade to N'Yah Boyd. Sure Boyd adds depth and experience, but I just don't think it hurts too much. Like Rochelle Lee left and I think it was because of the way that Emma Villas-Gomis came on at the end in my opinion. She ended up at NC A&T which is certainly a step down from UNT. I just do not see her landing at a program better than ours. I personally think she doesn't want to compete against the incoming talent.

I said Boyd transferred, said absolutely nothing about her being a graduate.  Also stated I had no idea what her motivation to transfer came from.   Somehow though, I don't think a two year starter is that concerned about competition.

I will stick with my speculation that Mitchell is replacing Boyd because she left the program and Boyd is not leaving because NT signed other pgs.  Just a guest, but it seems at least as likely.  

By the way, NT did not sign any McDonald All American that would be outstanding, but didn't happen.  They signed an McDonald All American nominee which there are hundreds and hardly worth mentioning. 

• Ray 2

• 2 weeks later...
20 minutes ago, Venson said:

Looks like she landed at Oklahoma State. I take back what I said. I now know she was definitely recruited. That should be a violation if it isn't.

The NCAA going after a Big XII school...

The Preseason ... in Seinfeld GIFs - Our Daily Bears

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Tom McKrackin said:

Don’t understand why our fans are so accepting about this.

Are you suggesting:

1) We get upset over sports?
2) We start a protest?
3) We type in ALL CAPS for three pages to demonstrate our fierce internet rage?
4) ...that other fanbases have a tactical response to transfers during this exceptional year, designed to change the student-athlete's mind? And that we should adopt this strategy?

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, UNT86 said:

Seems like the transfer portal is working exactly like the NCAA intends.

Schools like NT are farm teams for schools like OK St.

This is exactly the intent.  They make the money, so they get to poach our players.

We've gotten some players from P5 schools.  Might be interesting to see the gain/loss ratio between us and P5s.