Will Boise State, Liberty U, UT, OU, Others Eventually Find ‘Major Independent’ TV Gold?

Just Speculating..:

Lberty U has done in a few years what others have yet to do.  OK, UNT will mostly stay where its been for the next 50 years, but always have a plan B?  You know, gotta’ keep those all important  “money-making”(not) All Conference team opportunities in tact but—if we ever want to venture out to join the bold & the brave, the option is to remove ourselves from all this hodge-podge & over-abundance of FBS schools with 30,000 (+/-) seat stadiums, expand Apogee to 45,000 seats & join the exclusivity of being Major Independent.  ((Those Sams Club margaritas do expand the horizons of thought).😊

https://tvrev.com/college-football-independence-and-how-conference-less-teams-can-stay-on-tv/amp/

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1

• PlummMeanGreen changed the title to Will Boise State, Liberty U, UT, OU, Others Eventually Find ‘Major Independent’ TV Gold?

Plumm and Sam’s Club Margarita.  What could possibly go wrong.

I see fewer advantages than disadvantages here.  On the plus side, there is no revenue split.  What we earn, we keep.  We schedule our games to fit our needs.  No Thursday night 9:00 kick games, unless that’s what we want.  I think that’s it. 

Now for Neg Ned.  As an independent, we can play anybody we want the first 4 or 5 weeks of the season.  After that, most teams get into league play.   Now, the season writes itself beginning in about October.  No more TV contract negotiated by the conference.  No more “all-conference team” to strive for.  No automatic bowl tie in or, in BB,  no conference tournament.  I bet there are many items I don’t know about like where the referees come from or who to whine to to protest a bad call or problem at an opponent’s stadium/gym.  

I’m pretty well satisfied with our colleagues in CUSA.  Until a “greener” opportunity comes along, we need to dominate here and be ready to respond should the opportunity arise.

Pass the Sam’s.   

for a big enough organization it might work, but for how long?  TV and cable TV are are dying out, everything is moving to app based subscription or pay-per-view content.  I think the first conference that can cut out the middle man, and offer a QUALITY direct to consumer streaming service, will have a massive advantage for the next 50 years.  

• Upvote 2