Athlon projects the best of the C-USA for 2021

Since we’ve added probable portal & transfer starters in recent weeks (& even days), I’d wonder how many summer college football magazines would have that vital information since you get the feeling even in past years some of them use the prior seasons Summer editions & from those the writers figure out who graduated  & then take it from there—not very scientific I’d say, especially with G5 football programs. 

IMO, we are  really not going to know how good this 2021 MG  team could be until about the 3’rd or 4’th game is my take so—outside DCTF & Phil Steele’s 2021 Summer magazine coming out in just weeks, other Summer college football  magazines I will take with the grain of salt.  
Some writers may not know of the Phil Bennett influence on the 2021 MG defense & how he has played a big part in recruiting defensive talent.  Still most on GMG seem to feel PB is going to make a difference.  I know I do—& I think a big difference.  

•••I also believe the 2022 North Texas football team is going to be a lights out football team.  FWIW, folks, we haven’t been recruiting junk plus we’ve been recruiting more talent on the defensive side since the arrival of Phil Bennett.😊

Just my .02 cents.

❇️🦅❇️

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 5
  • Eye Roll 2

This schedule is brutal for where we are right now...we can be better than last year and still only be a 4-win team. The OOC FBS competition is just well above our level right now. We can argue all we want to about this being SL’s 6th year here, but it’s the reality. For us to get back to anything close to where we were, we have to find the next Mason Fine. That’s how football works these days. The QB has to be over the top for us to succeed. SL’s system is that of the Leach system, which is to score more than the opponent. That’s not possible here until our QB play improves greatly, especially if the defense is still putrid.

• Upvote 3

12 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

This schedule is brutal for where we are right now...we can be better than last year and still only be a 4-win team. The OOC FBS competition is just well above our level right now. We can argue all we want to about this being SL’s 6th year here, but it’s the reality. For us to get back to anything close to where we were, we have to find the next Mason Fine. That’s how football works these days. The QB has to be over the top for us to succeed. SL’s system is that of the Leach system, which is to score more than the opponent. That’s not possible here until our QB play improves greatly, especially if the defense is still putrid.

I agree and disagree. Our offense has been serviceable. However, we do score a lot of garbage points while gaining garbage yards. Even with that, our offense isn't really the major problem. For the last 2 or 3 recruiting classes, or even since SL has been leading recruiting efforts since he's been here, defense has been neglected in large part. Well, we're seeing the fruits of that labor. We have to get stops and we have to stop allowing constant opposing personal bests albeit RB, QB, WR. We'll see. 

• Upvote 2

On 5/27/2021 at 1:21 PM, PlummMeanGreen said:

Since we’ve added probable portal & transfer starters in recent weeks (& even days), I’d wonder how many summer college football magazines would have that vital information since you get the feeling even in past years some of them use the prior seasons Summer editions & from those the writers figure out who graduated  & then take it from there—not very scientific I’d say, especially with G5 football programs. 

IMO, we are  really not going to know how good this 2021 MG  team could be until about the 3’rd or 4’th game is my take so—outside DCTF & Phil Steele’s 2021 Summer magazine coming out in just weeks, other Summer college football  magazines I will take with the grain of salt.  
Some writers may not know of the Phil Bennett influence on the 2021 MG defense & how he has played a big part in recruiting defensive talent.  Still most on GMG seem to feel PB is going to make a difference.  I know I do—& I think a big difference.  

•••I also believe the 2022 North Texas football team is going to be a lights out football team.  FWIW, folks, we haven’t been recruiting junk plus we’ve been recruiting more talent on the defensive side since the arrival of Phil Bennett.😊

Just my .02 cents.

❇️🦅❇️

Well in the past that was probably the case, but those magazines and companies change and adapt with times just like everything else.  They now offer digital copies, they had a 1 hour phone call with Littrell last week sometime or maybe the week prior about the team and the upcoming season.  Those guys have to change with all the things the Portal (Transfers in and out), JUCO, and late hs signees due to spots opening up.  I would be very surprised if this years article on us was too far off.  

• Upvote 1

Seems when Coastal Carolina  was playing BYU last season that during the telecast a sportscaster said the 2020 Chanticleers were picked last in the Sun Belt?  Now they’ll be in every pre-season 2021 Top 25 poll.

Seth Littrell’s offense will be fine.  I think Aune will exceed all expectations, but I am interested to see a Phil Bennett Mean Green defense in action.  UNT has had 4 good recruiting classes in a row & I think it’s shake & bake time.  Methinks this team wins 6, goes bowling, but in 2022 this “experienced” team could do some very, very special things.  

•••Concerning Summer college football magazines?  Whatever Phil Steele’s magazine says in a few weeks  I’ll go with on summarizing our 2021 outlook.  ️And Dave Campbell’s Texas Football magazine?  Still a lot of old SWC bias with that group & that’s all I‘ll say. 

❇️🦅❇️

Edited by PlummMeanGreen