DRC breaking news (updated with story) -- Charges against Wallis dismissed

Brett Vito

2 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Curious, if the charges have been dropped why not allow him back if it was possible?

Because charges like this get dropped all the time due to technicalities. Or because a victim chooses not to testify.

If another program wants to take him on, fine. Good luck to him unless they’re playing us. I just think there has to be equally or better qualified people out there to fill the spot than him. And without the baggage. 

• Upvote 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 9

4 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

So, as far as your concerned, once accused and not convicted you should still be punished??

He wasn’t just accused. Charges were brought up and he was arrested. DA’s don’t usually press charges in a case of he said, she said when they can’t actually prove something. I’m not saying he was guilty. That’s for a jury to decide after hearing all evidence, which won’t happen. I’m just pointing out that it wasn’t as simple as just saying he was accused.  Charges have been dropped so he’s no longer being punished. He’s free to find employment anywhere he would like.

Since a jury won’t be hearing all the evidence, and none of us know all the evidence either, I’d prefer he find his employment somewhere else.  

• Upvote 13
  • Thanks 2
  • Downvote 10

• Brett Vito changed the title to DRC breaking news (updated with story) -- Charges against Wallis dismissed

improper relationship between a student and educator

I really haven't been keeping up with this.  But I just wonder, what the hell does this mean?

Is the student in question underage? If so, then where I come from, if it was a sexual relationship, then we used to call it statutory rape.  

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

So, as far as your concerned, once accused and not convicted you should still be punished??

He never said that.  Lots of scenarios here

Charges dropped do not mean he is innocent
Charges dropped mean the accusation's case was weak.

Regardless, this was a career-altering scenario.  Even though the charges are dropped, many potential employers (and former friends) will not want any part of him.  Unfortunately for Tate, I do not think we are obligated to resume his employment.

• Upvote 4

9 hours ago, SilverEagle said:

I really haven't been keeping up with this.  But I just wonder, what the hell does this mean?

Is the student in question underage? If so, then where I come from, if it was a sexual relationship, then we used to call it statutory rape.  

I know @emmitt01 has already addressed this, but I’ll add one more thing.  Even if the student is 18, a relationship with an educator is against the law.

• Upvote 3

6 hours ago, greenminer said:

He never said that.  Lots of scenarios here

Charges dropped do not mean he is innocent
Charges dropped mean the accusation's case was weak.

Regardless, this was a career-altering scenario.  Even though the charges are dropped, many potential employers (and former friends) will not want any part of him.  Unfortunately for Tate, I do not think we are obligated to resume his employment.

But do you think the situation is fair if he was, in fact, innocent? What are the accused to do if regardless of a not guilty outcome, they are still branded as guilty?

• Upvote 5

@Cr1028 I don't know what happens.  Maybe he'll resume in Denton (I don't know how SL will handle), maybe he'll continue football elsewhere or in something other than football.

He's legally in the clear right? After seeing all the nepotism in the football coaching world, I'm sure he'll land somewhere and be fine.

I'm shocked how quickly our world wanted Penn State back.  Tate's situation IMO doesn't carry the same weight.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Just looking at the Google results for a search on "Tate Wallis", there is a DRC story titled "Tate Wallis offered his resignation and we have accepted" attributed to "UNT". I don't think that indicates that UNT owes him anything, much less his old position back. Just because a case has been dismissed in a criminal court doesn't mean that the accused also has rights to employment unless there is something between them and their former employer that amounts to their employment being other than "at will" (subject to termination at the pleasure of the employer).

Honestly, even at the college level, and when the student is 18 or over, the whole thing of a teacher/student "relationship", other than professional, is just a nightmare for a school if it draws public attention (which it probably does only rarely). I'm sure the leadership of UNT was quite happy to accept the "offered resignation". The rights to employment (such as they are) are nothing like the rights of defendants in a criminal proceeding, where the accuser bears the burden of proof. An employer, unless there is something like academic tenure, can hire, fire, or "accept resignation" with no reason given at all.

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1