NT lands UNLV transfer Safety, Greg Francis

2019: Started seven of his 11 games after missing all of spring practice while recovering from a 2018 injury … Finished sixth on squad with career-high 42 total tackles … Posted a career-high 10 stops vs. Boise State … His two pass breakups included the most important one of the season … In the home finale vs. SJSU, the Spartans were throwing into the end zone to win the game when Francis batted Josh Love’s pass attempt high in the air where it was hauled in by DL Kolo Uasike to seal the thrilling 38-35 victory. 

2018: Played in the first eight games and totaled 12 tackles at safety and on special teams … Made his first career start at nickel at San Jose State but suffered a season-ending injury vs. the Spartans.

2017: Earned his first letter as a Rebel by playing in all 12 games … Totaled 21 tackles as a true freshman in the backfield and on special teams ... One of 26 Academic All-Mountain West honorees in 2017.

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, UNT18Grad said:

Slightly off topic but our editing game on recruiting graphics has definitely fallen off..I've seen this same graphic used with all of our commits and the giant head on a different body is a pretty weird choice.

So yes and no.

Yes the graphics have been awful recently, and they don't really have a true graphics person. Really really slopping and lazy, which is incredibly sad because of the fact UNT is a large university.

No on the fact of the template. They use a template for each class and stick with it. That's how most schools do recruit graphics, but I do wish ours were more creative.

• Upvote 6
  • Eye Roll 3

15 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I thought Gaddie was the "Hawk" in Bowen's system last year.  Is he actually a Safety?

Yes but I think the coaches were and are trying to get him to play safety. Already have Upton Stout, Quinn Whitlock and either John Davis or a transfer at CB. The safety position is lacking and not deep at all, so maybe Francis gives Sanders a run for his money.

If I remember correctly, Gaddie was playing a lot of safety during the spring, but I could be wrong.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I thought Gaddie was the "Hawk" in Bowen's system last year.  Is he actually a Safety?

Gaddie and Sanders are the deep safeties is my understanding. Sanders was listed as the Hawk last year.

I think Gaddie, Sanders, Francis, and Keelan Crosby probably get first crack at those two deep safety spots (not as sure what Bennett will call each). Then I think that 5th DB in our base will likely be a CB (I believe John Davis) but Sean-Thomas Faulkner from The Citadel will probably get a chance to play there as more of a box safety type when we want that type of personnel.

That’s my gauge on what I would expect to see as of now but a lot of time for changes left.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1