Opting Out In HS

A while back I commented that I wondered how long until "elite" HS school players would start opting out (I know were not supposed to say quit on their team since that is "old school" thinking). Sorry, but "opting out" before the season is quitting on your team

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/recruiting/football/story/_/id/31483492/no-82-recruit-jaydon-blue-skip-senior-season-high-school-football-prepare-commitment-texas-longhorns

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 2

Follow-up:

The decision, Blue said in a statement posted to Twitter on Thursday, took into consideration the wear and tear of the running back position.

"This has been a very difficult decision for my family & I," Blue said in his Twitter post. "Football is a brutal sport, and the wear and tear associated with the RB position is undeniable. 

Generations of people surviving the position and this argument loses a ton of merit, IMO.  Shoulda gone with "learning the Longhorn system/culture", or something like that.

Step further: this is a kid that is already over-thinking his NFL money potential.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

i read this article earlier today. seems like a bold move, college coaches move quickly nowadays, and unless you have a signed LOI, you are not guaranteed to be in Austin next year. A full season is a long time for other seniors to shine and take away his spot

Good luck to him, but it seems like a bold move to me

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, NT93 said:

If he’ll “opt out” in high school, he’ll “opt out” in college too.  Not the mentality I’d want to add to my team.

To play devils advocate.... Thanks to insane NFL salaries and now CFB likeness income... The risk is now in not opting out. They are making the smarter risk averse decision. So it's not really their fault, its a broken system.

Any MBA will tell you this is the logarithmic result of a very simple equation: do you have the probability to gain more by sitting or by playing? 

Blame the system not the product

Edited by Udomann
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

3 hours ago, MeanGreen_MBA said:

This will not bode well for more players than it will help. Somebody got into this kids head. He is not even working on his Longhorn career, he was talking about getting ready for the NFL. I would almost lay even money he does not see the NFL. 

And if he does,  he'll quit on UT too.

• Upvote 2

On 5/21/2021 at 2:12 PM, NT93 said:

If he’ll “opt out” in high school, he’ll “opt out” in college too.  Not the mentality I’d want to add to my team.

Agreed. If he's willing to go to this extreme I won't be surprised to see him opt out of non-conference and bowl games in college. 

• Upvote 1