ADHD meds good or bad?

Have some experience with one of our kids.  I freely admit that I was skeptical about the diagnosis of ADD (which is what we dealt with).  We did not have issues with hyperactivity.

We tried the meds at prescribed strength, and kid complained that they felt zoned out all day, though they definitely helped with concentration.  Checked with doc, who approved cutting dose in half, which worked better.  Meds helped with schoolwork, and concentration, but kid did not like taking them because of elevated heart rate.

I would definitely monitor how the meds work for your child, and make detailed note of it to report back to your doc.  We wanted as little use of meds as possible as long as they were working for our kid.

Also, don't be afraid to try a different med if one doesn't work right.  A transdermal patch is what worked for us.  Easy to cut in half for half a dose if necessary (and approved by your doc).

Ours is grown now, and no longer uses meds.  Has more control and recognition of when it's necessary to moderate actions and behavior.

Good luck!

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

We used a doctor out here in Midland that is great.  He is definitely against big pharma and getting kids on meds.  The first step he took with both of my boys was genetic testing that resulted in him "prescribing" supplementation of vitamins and minerals, looking at their  overall diet, lifestyle, etc...  We discovered that both of my boys had a mutation that led to anxiety.  He immediately stated that they should avoid caffeine and put them on a supplementation program that has been extremely beneficial for both of them.  They were like different kids in about a week.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 2

37 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

We used a doctor out here in Midland that is great.  He is definitely against big pharma and getting kids on meds.  The first step he took with both of my boys was genetic testing that resulted in him "prescribing" supplementation of vitamins and minerals, looking at their  overall diet, lifestyle, etc...  We discovered that both of my boys had a mutation that led to anxiety.  He immediately stated that they should avoid caffeine and put them on a supplementation program that has been extremely beneficial for both of them.  They were like different kids in about a week.

I was just going to say, try diet and lifestyle before resorting to pills and chemicals.  This should be everyone's approach to anything.

You said it much better.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Eye Roll 1

Unfortunately I have 2 kids on ADHD, my oldest is off now that he is 19, but he needed it due to birth mom's drug and alcohol use as well as poor nutrition. My youngest son started at 2nd grade and it has helped, but I also see the zoning out issue. IMO I would say try everything nutritional first, exercise, being outside not sitting in front of a TV or Screen, as I believe ADD is over-prescribed. 

But if you choose the meds, make sure to watch over your kid for behavioral changes.

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 2

It is one of those issues that truly depends on each child. Some medicines will work and others will overmedicate. This should be something that you do for your child's good, not something to do because the school wants you too.

If you feel medication is the right path at this time I would recommend you let the Doctor know you want to start a low of a dosage as possible so you can monitor the changes. If you make the choice to try, watch how the medicines impact your child.

• Thanks 3

@Cr1028 was diagnosed with ADD in 1st grade- took ritalin until high school (2 doses a day) i guess it helped? In high school, took concerta (one a day) and some part of college ( took adderall for all nighters) 

tried it professionally as well- didnt like the feeling- but realized i needed a more structured role . 'Different meds work on different people, exercise helped me a lot as well. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 2

https://www.amenclinics.com/

I consider Dr. Amen to be the authority on brain research, including ADHD. I strongly recommend you read his book, Healing ADHD.

As others have already mentioned, diet, exercise, and supplements first, with meds as a final resort.  If meds are required, it can sometimes take a while to find the right dose of the right medicine for your child’s ADHD.

Edited by NT93
  • Upvote 3
  • Thanks 2

I have experience taking them. It is dependent from person to person, but the strategy I found was not taking them everyday because it would make me zone out, so I’d only take it on days when I had classes where I really needed to focus. Through time I also developed good time management strategies for completing work without it that have been extremely beneficial in my life. At the end of college and in post-grad I've stopped taking meds as I’ve learned coping strategies for myself. As someone who was in a position your kid was in at some point, I’d ask that you be patient and understanding with your kid. It’s hard when there’s a chemical imbalance that makes it annoying to focus, and when you get frustrated that they can’t focus, just know they’re frustrated too. I was... not a great student in high school because of it. Would have had a much better time if it was caught and started to be fixed earlier.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 3

I have a now 12 year old that was diagnosed ADHD at the age of 6.  We tried everything we could before going on Meds.  Our last resort was to pull the dye *Red 40* completely out of his diet and it turned him into a different child.  And when he slips up we can see difference almost immediately, then once its back out of his system he is back to the good child we have raised.  

May be worth trying.  Just be careful because once you start  looking you will be shocked as to how many and what type of foods contain Red 40. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 3