So tormented

I am finding myself drinking the koolaid, and getting hyped about this season.  

I was doing so well about not letting myself get sucked into the hype, and being more honest with myself. 

Why am I getting so hyped for this team??  

I think it’s because of PB.   I just listen to him, and I believe. His brother was the HFC of my high school for so long, and my senior year we had the number 5 recruit in the nation/number 1 rb. We had all 5 of our o-line get d-1 scholly’s, and we still did nothing. So I don’t know why I put so much faith in him. 

someone please talk some sense into me. 

• Upvote 6

2 hours ago, untlynchka1 said:

I was doing so well about not letting myself get sucked into the hype, and being more honest with myself. 

I think it’s because of PB.   I just listen to him, and I believe. His brother was the HFC of my high school for so long, and my senior year we had the number 5 recruit in the nation/number 1 rb. We had all 5 of our o-line get d-1 scholly’s, and we still did nothing. So I don’t know why I put so much faith in him. 

Haha his brother Jerry was my high school's coach for a while as well. They have very similar coaching styles. I think our defense will be much improved.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, untlynchka1 said:

Maybe because of this class being (arguably) the best recruiting class (with transfers) in our history?  
Darrell Dickey had a class with about 8  DCTF Top 100’s in it & Fry’s best class had Kenny Washington, Burks Washington & others of similar talent in it. 

I think we know Seth Littrell will have a productively good offense this Fall, but adding Phil Bennett as Defense Coordinator gives all hope for our 2021 MG defense.  (I think it could take a few games this Fall for it to jell, though, so patience will be required). 

••• Remember how those 4 New Orleans Bowl teams of the early 2000’s would be 0 & 5 or 1 & 4 before they’d start a 5 or 6 game winning streak?  That might be our 2021 team repeating that scenario once again.  I also think it will be fun to watch this Fall’s team develop, too.  

I also believe this season will be the beginning of consecutive winning seasons in a row, too.  (Fry was the last coach at UNT to have 4 consecutive above .500 seasons in a row). 1C965D3E-DA44-4A36-B484-B984817AB0AD.jpeg.2c4f019c98ba7a7f7a59a1a18b847ce2.jpeg

❇️🦅❇️ GMG! 

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 3
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 1

4 hours ago, untlynchka1 said:

When we moved from Bennett as HC to June Jones, our defense improved. Let that sink in.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 2
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 4

5 hours ago, untlynchka1 said:

It happens to all of us before each and every season...like some form of Mean Green disease.  It's just something we have to accept and live with.  There is no cure.

Edited by keith
  • Upvote 3
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, untlynchka1 said:

Still unknown what we’ll get at quarterback.  An offense that struggles against good teams. Coming off back to back losing seasons. Even with substantial improvement in the defense it will be at best average. Tough schedule. 

Will we be better this year? Definitely. But I still see a year where we beat the bad teams and lose to the good teams which means a 6-6 or 7-5 year. And the bad teams in CUSA are getting better so I expect a lot of close games 

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

dentonStang, this may not support your narrative, but don’t you think Coach Bennett did a pretty good job at Baylor U as Defensive Coordinator? 

I can't say I know enough to really pass judgement, but he certainly must have been doing what he was supposed to do to last that long at that program.   I just don't know how similar being at Baylor, with a HC of the caliber and recruiting of that caliber compares to UNT or SMU.  I do think SMU compares much more similarly to the situation at NT, even though he was HC.  

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, DentonStang said:

I do think SMU compares much more similarly to the situation at NT, even though he was HC.  

Plenty of evidence to suggest some coaches just aren't meant to be HC.

What I take from all of this is, we don't know what will happen.

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 2

7 hours ago, untlynchka1 said:

The SL era has taught me that CUSA ain't great, but is good enough & strange enough to not get cocky in, based on where we are at right now.  Temper your enthusiasm.  Bleed Mean Green, but be of the mindset "I'll believe it when I see it."

In the back of my mind, I think this will be a make-or-break year for SL.  We will either be sucked into another mediocre season and he will be gone, or all the pieces (that I believe are there) will finally fit together and we will compete for 'ships.

• Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, greenminer said:

The SL era has taught me that CUSA ain't great, but is good enough & strange enough to not get cocky in, based on where we are at right now.  Temper your enthusiasm.  Bleed Mean Green, but be of the mindset "I'll believe it when I see it."

In the back of my mind, I think this will be a make-or-break year for SL.  We will either be sucked into another mediocre season and he will be gone, or all the pieces (that I believe are there) will finally fit together and we will compete for 'ships.

I think it would have to be a Portland State type of season for SL to be canned.  Bennett got a 2 year deal and that sort of solidified that they would keep SL around another year.

• Upvote 3

I went and did some research on the points per game allowed by Baylor's defense under Phil Bennett's direction from 2011-2016, which was his entirety at Sodom on the Brazos.

2011--first year as DC--37.2 ppg allowed--113th out of 120

2012--second year as DC--37.2 ppg allowed (again)--113th out of 124

2013--third year as DC--23.5 ppg allowed--36th out of 125

2014--fourth year as DC--25.5 ppg allowed--49th out of 128

2015--fifth year as DC--28.3 ppg allowed--81st out of 128

2016--sixth and final year as DC--29.0 ppg allowed--72nd out of 128

Here's what I see--positive spin: It has to get better than what we have seen. We have looked so physically overwhelmed at the line against, which forced our DBs to play ten yards off the receiver for a cushion. This is where PB's scheme can help the most fairly quickly, which is with the defensive backfield. They have to be better at coverage AND tackling. The physical shape of the front seven has a ways to go, IMO, but we have to get better at keeping guys in front of us and getting them down/out of bounds. And a new voice with skins on the wall can get better performance from guys who buy in to the motivation of a new voice.

Negative spin--PB still doesn't have the horses up front to compete with the better teams on the schedule. Forget Mizzou, SMU, or Liberty--I'm talking about CUSA teams outside of Texas.  Seth Littrell is basically entering a make-it-or-break-it year, so there is the reality that a rough start may very well sour the locker room and it may not matter anyway. If he has to get to 5 wins to keep his job, that's gonna be a tough hill to climb, when you combine this schedule with a new QB and two new coordinators. As I see it, NW State, Rice, and UTEP look to be the best candidates for probable wins on the schedule, so you will need at least 2 more wins somewhere on the schedule, which is possible, certainly, but its just tough to see who those teams are that we will upset. And if SL doesn't get it done, PB's tenure here could very well be over just as soon as it began...unless he is Wren's backup plan to take over if SL has to be canned.

• Upvote 2
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 1

1 hour ago, Jonnyeagle said:

I think it would have to be a Portland State type of season for SL to be canned.  Bennett got a 2 year deal and that sort of solidified that they would keep SL around another year.

I agree 100%.   It would have to seem as though he lost the team.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jonnyeagle said:

Maybe.  As long as I have been around college athletics, I don't put a ton of weight on those contract lengths..

• Upvote 2

23 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

I went and did some research on the points per game allowed by Baylor's defense under Phil Bennett's direction from 2011-2016, which was his entirety at Sodom on the Brazos.

2011--first year as DC--37.2 ppg allowed--113th out of 120

2012--second year as DC--37.2 ppg allowed (again)--113th out of 124

2013--third year as DC--23.5 ppg allowed--36th out of 125

2014--fourth year as DC--25.5 ppg allowed--49th out of 128

2015--fifth year as DC--28.3 ppg allowed--81st out of 128

2016--sixth and final year as DC--29.0 ppg allowed--72nd out of 128

Here's what I see--positive spin: It has to get better than what we have seen. We have looked so physically overwhelmed at the line against, which forced our DBs to play ten yards off the receiver for a cushion. This is where PB's scheme can help the most fairly quickly, which is with the defensive backfield. They have to be better at coverage AND tackling. The physical shape of the front seven has a ways to go, IMO, but we have to get better at keeping guys in front of us and getting them down/out of bounds. And a new voice with skins on the wall can get better performance from guys who buy in to the motivation of a new voice.

Negative spin--PB still doesn't have the horses up front to compete with the better teams on the schedule. Forget Mizzou, SMU, or Liberty--I'm talking about CUSA teams outside of Texas.  Seth Littrell is basically entering a make-it-or-break-it year, so there is the reality that a rough start may very well sour the locker room and it may not matter anyway. If he has to get to 5 wins to keep his job, that's gonna be a tough hill to climb, when you combine this schedule with a new QB and two new coordinators. As I see it, NW State, Rice, and UTEP look to be the best candidates for probable wins on the schedule, so you will need at least 2 more wins somewhere on the schedule, which is possible, certainly, but its just tough to see who those teams are that we will upset. And if SL doesn't get it done, PB's tenure here could very well be over just as soon as it began...unless he is Wren's backup plan to take over if SL has to be canned.

Agree. To it all. 

• Upvote 1

I'm thinking with the payroll North Texas has they need to come up out of the cellar and win more than 5 games. Worst division and worst conference in college football in 2020. Wren has shown Seth the money now Seth needs to show us some wins...IMO.

https://syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2926411-ranking-every-college-football-conference-after-the-2020-season.amp.html

Edited by RBP79
  • Upvote 3

10 hours ago, RBP79 said:

I'm thinking with the payroll North Texas has they need to come up out of the cellar and win more than 5 games. Worst division and worst conference in college football in 2020. Wren has shown Seth the money now Seth needs to show us some wins...IMO.

https://syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2926411-ranking-every-college-football-conference-after-the-2020-season.amp.html

It'll be interesting to see if Sun Belt continues this success, or if this was a one-off.

• Upvote 2