DRC: UNT star pitcher Hope Trautwein enters transfer portal

I bet she will be looking for a school where she can make the NCAA Tournament.  Unfortunately this year proved, that CUSA Softball is one and done.  If you do not win the conference tournament you will probably not get a bid.

I appreciate all she did, and she has earned the right to see what options are available for her.

• Upvote 8
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

Is that not the purpose of the transfer portal, the rich can get richer at the expense of the poorer?

Expect transferring to get easier, and a bigger divide between the P5 and G5's.   The NCAA is more interested in accommodating the money schools than competition. 

Edited by GrandGreen
  • Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

I think this is a surprise to Delong as he stated that he was excited to have her for another year.

Also learned that two other pitchers, Bailey Tindell and Ariel Thompson, have also entered the portal.  I kind of expected Tindell but Thompson is a surprise.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, untbowler said:

I would be more upset if she did not already have her Degree. 

Wish her well on her next endeavor, wish she would have stayed for one more year, but she got her degree and now time for a master's. 

1 hour ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Folks...   Hope graduated from NT.   She's a graduate transfer.   This type of transfer rule has been around MUCH LONGER than the transfer portal.

I'll be interested to see where she pops up... her being from Pflugerville, there should be some mutual interest with UT.

Yep.  And the graduate transfer rule does have academic justification, even if it isn't always used that way.  Hate to see her go, but if she finds a master's program that fits her future career plans, more power to her.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

4 hours ago, dml7007 said:

I bet she will be looking for a school where she can make the NCAA Tournament.  Unfortunately this year proved, that CUSA Softball is one and done.  If you do not win the conference tournament you will probably not get a bid.

I appreciate all she did, and she has earned the right to see what options are available for her.

If last year was a full year and they somehow didn’t win the tournament, they would’ve got a bid. You don’t beat OU and ULL and dominate conference to not get a bid.

Sad this years squad couldn’t finish, but the lack of experience hurt a lot.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, UNTLifer said:

I think this is a surprise to Delong as he stated that he was excited to have her for another year.

Also learned that two other pitchers, Bailey Tindell and Ariel Thompson, have also entered the portal.  I kind of expected Tindell but Thompson is a surprise.

I would bet that their phones have bring ringing non-stop. The portal is a cluster as is, but the recruiting before players before they enter the portal is as active as recruiting HS players, maybe more.

Edited by El Paso Eagle
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Folks...   Hope graduated from NT.   She's a graduate transfer.   This type of transfer rule has been around MUCH LONGER than the transfer portal.

I'll be interested to see where she pops up... her being from Pflugerville, there should be some mutual interest with UT.

Really don't know, but I do know that if the graduate transfer has been active; it didn't have much effect.  The issue now is that extra year has enabled many to be graduates still eligible for sports 

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Tom McKrackin said:

Does it really not bother you that one the greatest softball players ever to play at UNT will no longer be a UNT alumnus?  Do you like being considered a junior college?  When your wife left you for your best friend did you send her a congratulatory bouquet of roses? 

Why wouldn't she be an alumnus?   She has a degree from North Texas!   I'm bummed she's leaving, of course, but I'm not going to say she's making a mistake or get mad at her.   She can make her own decisions.  She's still a sure-fire NT Hall-of-Famer when her time is up.   I look forward to her coming back during her induction.

And FYI, he's NOT my best friend anymore!

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 1

37 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

The article I read stated that she is going to explore her options and then decide, so there is a chance she is pitching for us next year.

I suppose this is true.
This may be the most important recruiting battle that coach DeLong and staff ever face.
No doubt, #1 Oklahoma, #5 Arkansas, #7 OKSt, #11 Texas, among others, will likely kick the tires.

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...