NCAA Mens Soccer Championship

I also wish we had men's soccer and baseball (my son is at DBU... and good college baseball is awesome).

Although... men's soccer would be *much* less expensive to field a team (facilities already in place - game field and practice field).  I think many D1 soccer teams only have 8-10 players on full scholarship also ... other players are partial scholly's or walk-ons... so wouldn't jeopardize our Title IX balance.

Plus, I think we could quickly field a competitive men's soccer program, making us more attractive to another conference in the future. 

• Upvote 2

32 minutes ago, ForneyGreen said:

I also wish we had men's soccer and baseball (my son is at DBU... and good college baseball is awesome).

Although... men's soccer would be *much* less expensive to field a team (facilities already in place - game field and practice field).  I think many D1 soccer teams only have 8-10 players on full scholarship also ... other players are partial scholly's or walk-ons... so wouldn't jeopardize our Title IX balance.

Plus, I think we could quickly field a competitive men's soccer program, making us more attractive to another conference in the future. 

The very reason we got rid of men's soccer (and tennis) was because of Title IX.  Finances had nothing to do with it.

• Upvote 3

Marshall didn't just win the College Cup National Championship, they took down a lot of soccer royalty in the march to a title:

Marshall's March To The National Title
#23 Fordham- Undefeated coming into the NCAAs -- Marshall 2-1 in OT, Golden Goal by Milo Yosef at the 96:41 mark of the first OT
#1 and 1 seed Clemson- The top ranked team in the nation at 14-2-3 -- Marshall 1 Clemson 1 after 2 OT -- Marshall advances on PKs 7-6
#7 and 8 seed Georgetown- Georgetown was the Defending National Champions -- Marshall 1-0, Goal by Jamil Roberts at the 20:05 mark in the 2nd period
#16 and unseeded North Carolina- UNC had made the College Cup semis the last 3 of 4 years -- Marshall 1-0, Goal by Jamil Roberts at the 30:22 mark in the 2nd period
#3 and 3 seed Indiana- Indiana has the most NCAA wins with 95 and 2nd most titles with 8 -- Marshall 1-0, Golden Goal by Jamil Roberts at the 98:41 mark of the first OT

Clemson - 2 time National Champions (32 NCAAs, Titles 1984, 1987)
Georgetown - 1 National Champions (10 NCAAs, Defending National Champs, Title 2019)
North Carolina - 2 time National Champions (26 NCAAs, College Cup Simis 3 of the last 4 years, Title 2001, 2011)
Indiana - 8 time National Champions (44 NCAAs, 21 College Cup semis, 16 College Cup Finals, Titles 1982, 1983, 1988, 1998, 1999, 2003, 2004, 2012)

13 combined National Titles

The only one not to have a national championship that Marshall beat was Fordham and they had not lost coming into the NCAA Soccer Tournament.

What Marshall done was the equivalent of one team in college basketball taking down last years Cinderella, Kentucky, Duke, North Carolina and then beating UCLA in the title game, all in one tournament.

• Upvote 5

Congrats to Marshall! Best team in the tournament hands down!
* 45 players on his roster half being international. A lot of great players.        

* Head Coach just signed a five year contract at 375k per year! Good for him, well deserved!

Edited by blurbeard
  • Upvote 3

6 hours ago, blurbeard said:

Congrats to Marshall! Best team in the tournament hands down!
* 45 players on his roster half being international. A lot of great players.        

* Head Coach just signed a five year contract at 375k per year! Good for him, well deserved!

In my opinion Coach Grassie is the best DI Soccer coach in the nation. This was his 4th year and he went from under .500 his 1st 2 yrs to a National Title.

The Grassie Coaching File
University of Charleston (DII) HC for 6 years
WVIAC/MEC Coach of the Year 4 times
99-20-8 Record
6 WVIAC/MEC Titles
1 Sweet 16
2 Elite 8
1 Final 4
2 Title Games
2 National Coach of the Year awards

Marshall University (4th year)
CUSA Coach of the Year 2 times
46-24-11 (30-5-6 in the last 2 years)
2 CUSA Ttiles
20 Ranked Wins (Beat #1 Clemson on PKs)
2 NCAAs
1 Sweet 16 (2018)
1 College Cup Final National Championship (2020)
15 straight weeks in the Top 25 (Currently #10, Highest Rank #8) (Post College Cup Ranked #1 in the United Coaches and Top Drawer Poll)

He was also on a Michigan staff that lost in the College Cup swmi's in 2010.

That is is 3 College Cup semi's, 3 College Cup Finals in 11 years.

• Thanks 2

On 5/25/2021 at 4:43 AM, outoftown said:

Its good for the conference overall, if its teams get this kind of titles and recognition. C-USA soccer (which includes some programs that have their football in the SEC) has been really serious for a while.

Coastal Carolina is joining CUSA Soccer in the fall of 2021. They finished the season #24 and have made the NCAA Tournament 16 times. Although they have never been in a conference with multiple ranked teams. Guess we will find out soon enough if they sink or swim.

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, BigGreenTruck said:

Coastal Carolina is joining CUSA Soccer in the fall of 2021. They finished the season #24 and have made the NCAA Tournament 16 times. Although they have never been in a conference with multiple ranked teams. Guess we will find out soon enough if they sink or swim.

Any chance they could be invited for other sports?

• Upvote 1