Sit down.......

DeepGreen

My older brother came by for a visit yesterday.  He's a huge Univ of Texas fan, graduate, donor, season ticket holder, etc.  Yes, he gets on my nerves regarding UT.  Quickly the conversation turned to football.  I mentioned to him our upcoming season and future schedules and some of the teams we would be facing down the road.

Sit down folks.

Out of the blue he said he wouldn't be a bit surprised if smut, aka smu, is invited to join the Big 12 Conference.   For the record, my brother is no great predictor.  But I wondered, what made him come up with little smu?  They certainly have the money.  Surely the university presidents of those institutions know the sordid past of smu.  Surely.

If this were to come to pass, life as we know it would never be the same.

My response to him was, "you must be smoking your shorts".

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2
  • Ray 1
  • RV 1
  • Confused 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 2

30 minutes ago, DeepGreen said:

My older brother came by for a visit yesterday.  He's a huge Univ of Texas fan, graduate, donor, season ticket holder, etc.  Yes, he gets on my nerves regarding UT.  Quickly the conversation turned to football.  I mentioned to him our upcoming season and future schedules and some of the teams we would be facing down the road.

Sit down folks.

Out of the blue he said he wouldn't be a bit surprised if smut, aka smu, is invited to join the Big 12 Conference.   For the record, my brother is no great predictor.  But I wondered, what made him come up with little smu?  They certainly have the money.  Surely the university presidents of those institutions know the sordid past of smu.  Surely.

If this were to come to pass, life as we know it would never be the same.

My response to him was, "you must be smoking your shorts".

Will never happen...if UH can’t get in, SMU has no chance.

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

SMU has a much longer history with those schools.  Not saying I see either one happening, though.

So does Rice...and they don't share a market with a current member of the conference like SMU does with TCU.

I think a lot of older Texas alums of the SWC think highly of the old days when a conference game was usually a close drive (except for Arky and Tech) and they wax nostalgic about Doak Walker, Don Meredith, and Eric Dickerson. National TV ended those days--small private schools don't have the numbers to compete with the big public schools, nor do they provide markets that the big state schools in these P5 leagues don't already dominate.

The current Big XII might not make it because of a lack of eyeballs in the Midwest and WV. That's why their Media partners paid them more to keep at 10--they know UH adds nothing to the current TV deals, nor do they have any confidence in the Memphis/Cincy/UCF/USF big city schools. And SMU, Rice, Tulane, and Tulsa all provide even less than any of them.

• Upvote 4

I'll say this--When the P5s realign, the Big XII and the Pac 12 need to figure out some stuff. They both need a conference network for everyone (IOW, not the Longhorn Network) that is managed by a network, not the conference itself (IOW, not the Pac-12 network).

The Pac-12/Big XII has these schools as AAU Research Institutions, which brings in even more money to a school than athletics:

Iowa State, KU, Texas, Arizona, Cal, Colorado, Utah, Oregon, Stanford, UCLA, USC, and Washington= 12 schools

Now, OU is obviously not getting left behind, so that makes 13.

So what's left--Arizona State is basically in Phoenix, so that market isn't gonna get left out, so make that 14.

Tech, OSU, WVU, KSU, TCU, Baylor, Oregon State, and Washington State are the teams left to choose from if you want to go to 16. If not, those 7 schools are who the MWC and AAC are dreaming of adding.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 2

18 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

I'll say this--When the P5s realign, the Big XII and the Pac 12 need to figure out some stuff. They both need a conference network for everyone (IOW, not the Longhorn Network) that is managed by a network, not the conference itself (IOW, not the Pac-12 network).

The Pac-12/Big XII has these schools as AAU Research Institutions, which brings in even more money to a school than athletics:

Iowa State, KU, Texas, Arizona, Cal, Colorado, Utah, Oregon, Stanford, UCLA, USC, and Washington= 12 schools

So what's left--Arizona State is basically in Phoenix, so that market isn't gonna get left out, so make that 14.

Tech, OSU, WVU, KSU, TCU, Baylor, Oregon State, and Washington State are the teams left to choose from if you want to go to 16. If not, those 7 schools are who the MWC and AAC are dreaming of adding.

I guess anything is possible, but I don't know how likely this is.  One the one hand this suggests that AAU status is the key driver (Texas dragging Iowa State and KU with them to a west coast conference), but on the other hand it's not really (OU, because it's OU and ASU because of market).  If they are going to blow-up the Big12 and the Pac12 to create a conference of like-minded, AAU schools, then why stop there?  Swap OU for Rice and forget about ASU or get UCDavis to step up to FBS.    

On 5/17/2021 at 6:11 PM, untjim1995 said:

Look, nobody would love to see SMU in a P5 conference more than myself but this is not a realistic scenario.  

You're suggesting bringing two schools with historically weak football teams and no TV markets along to a conference that has nothing culturally in sync with them, at a time when neither school has been mentioned once in conference realignment discussions.  This at the same time they are going to kick out a reasonably successful member who has contributed for half a century - the politics of kicking out ASU alone could be overwhelming.  No. Hell, why would schools want to join that conference?

Texas is going to bitch and complain about their conference but they're making more money than anybody in college athletics and any movement away from there current position threatens that, so all other things being equal they're staying put.  

I could see OU leaving for the SEC, but that probably means OSU is coming along and the SEC has already said if they expand they want into NC/VA.  I could also see CU looking at their move to the PAC 12 as a mistake and considering coming back, but that's also a bit drastic.  The Big XII has already recently looked at expansion and gave it a big 'no' so it's probably a mute point unless the corporate gods at ESPN say otherwise.  

We've got to look at the AAC as our conference for the next generation and better start to build membership around that, otherwise we are going be in a permanent state of limbo until the second coming.  

Edited by SMUleopold
grammer
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, SMUleopold said:

Look, nobody would love to see SMU in a P5 conference more than myself but this is not a realistic scenario.  

You're suggesting bringing two schools with historically weak football teams and no TV markets along to a conference that has nothing culturally in sync with them, at a time when neither school has been mentioned once in conference realignment discussions.  This at the same time they are going to kick out a reasonably successful member who has contributed for half a century - the politics of kicking out ASU alone could be overwhelming.  No. Hell, why would schools want to join that conference?

Texas is going to bitch and complain about their conference but they're making more money than anybody in college athletics and any movement away from there current position threatens that, so all other things being equal they're staying put.  

I could see OU leaving for the SEC, but that probably means OSU is coming along and the SEC has already said if they expand they want into NC/VA.  I could also see CU looking at their move to the PAC 12 as a mistake and considering coming back, but that's also a bit drastic.  The Big XII has already recently looked at expansion and gave it a big 'no' so it's probably a mute point unless the corporate gods at ESPN say otherwise.  

We've got to look at the AAC as our conference for the next generation and better start to build membership around that, otherwise we are going be in a permanent state of limbo until the second coming.  

If OU leaves it will be for the PAC 12

• Haha 2