Do Letter Winners Support the Mean Green ?

greenjoe

How many former players come to the games ?  How many contribute to the Mean Green Scholarship Fund ?  I’ve never had the feeling most make the game a priority on home game Saturdays.  Sure, distance is a problem for some but I see no reason former players wouldn’t be in mass to watch the game they played here.  Do they need to be reminded that Saturday means college football like I hear the general student population needs ?  Is there a Letterman’s Room like there was at Fouts ?  I assume most letter winners gave good jobs now and don’t need “free tickets” to attend.  Maybe I’m wrong and the stands are thick with former players.

GO MEAN GREEN

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1
  • RV 1
  • Eye Roll 2

Now don’t be a Neg-Ned, greenjoe.🙄😆 Just kiddin’.  Your messages are always important & timely. 
••• Other than UT-Austin, TAMU & B12 Texas schools,I wonder what letterman participation would be at all other TEXAS D-1 schools? 
••• Don’t our Letterman have a suite at fabulous Apogee Stadium?

❇️🦅❇️

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, greenjoe said:

How many former players come to the games ?  How many contribute to the Mean Green Scholarship Fund ?  I’ve never had the feeling most make the game a priority on home game Saturdays.  Sure, distance is a problem for some but I see no reason former players wouldn’t be in mass to watch the game they played here.  Do they need to be reminded that Saturday means college football like I hear the general student population needs ?  Is there a Letterman’s Room like there was at Fouts ?  I assume most letter winners gave good jobs now and don’t need “free tickets” to attend.  Maybe I’m wrong and the stands are thick with former players.

GO MEAN GREEN

1 hour ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

Now don’t be a Neg-Ned, greenjoe.🙄😆 Just kiddin’.  Your messages are always important & timely. 
••• Other than UT-Austin, TAMU & B12 Texas schools,I wonder what letterman participation would be at all other TEXAS D-1 schools? 
••• Don’t our Letterman have a suite at fabulous Apogee Stadium?

❇️🦅❇️

I think it might have been during McCarney's tenure that the athletic department started reaching out to lettermen in a consistent manner.   It has definitely continued and grown since then. I haven't had a conversation about the issue with any letterman, but I have always felt that, for most of them, they felt that they were cut loose and forgotten after they played out their eligibility with UNT. This feeling I had was reinforced by a conversation that I had with a letterman during a game over at Fouts toward the end of the Fouts era. I've told this story several times, so for those who have already heard/read it go ahead and roll your eyes and go to something else to read. 

I was watching a game when I overheard a conversation taking place behind me where one guy mentioned that he had gone by to visit with "Coach Mills' before the game. I turned around and asked it he played for Coach Mills and he said yes. When I asked him his name he said "Tom Middaugh". I just smiled and said "well, there he is #87 on your program".  I'll never forget the look of surprise on his face. He was pleased that I remembered him, but he was more shocked than anything else.  What was obvious to me in listening to his response and reading his body language was that he had no expectation that anyone would ever remember him....much less his number.  It was sooooo......well.....NT.

I think the situation is getting much better But like our endowment fund that wasn't started until 1972 and a private athletic fund that wasn't started until about 1974, we have a lot of catching up to do with everyone else at our peer level.

Edited by SilverEagle
  • Upvote 3
  • Ray 1

Plumm, my question was sincere.  We may have hundreds of lettermen in the stands in any given Saturday.  It has simply been my experience that when this guy or that guy is present, it creates a buzz.  It seems to be the exception rather than the norm.  It was just an honest question.

i presume they were football fans before coming to NT.  Are many no longer fans of college football and especially North Texas College Football ?

Edited by greenjoe
  • Upvote 1

My understanding is that the upcoming scoreboard changes are in part so that they can build a huge lettermen’s party patio at the south end zone above where the players enter.  That may help bring in even more lettermen. 

Edited by UNT 90 Grad
  • Upvote 6

3 hours ago, UNT 90 Grad said:

My understanding is that the upcoming scoreboard changes are in part so that they can build a huge lettermen’s party patio at the south end zone above where the players enter.  That may help bring in even more lettermen. 

HOPE THIS IS IN THE PLANS

• Upvote 2

18 hours ago, greenjoe said:

Plumm, my question was sincere.  We may have hundreds of lettermen in the stands in any given Saturday.  It has simply been my experience that when this guy or that guy is present, it creates a buzz.  It seems to be the exception rather than the norm.  It was just an honest question.

i presume they were football fans before coming to NT.  Are many no longer fans of college football and especially North Texas College Football ?

I’ve seen several former players in the stands at games. 

• Upvote 1