CPI Has Risen .9% Since March. Highest Increase Since April 1982

8 hours ago, LongJim said:

Are we headed for massive inflation?  Might be.

https://www.bls.gov/news.release/cpi.nr0.htm

Looking at the price of cars and homes right now, I’d say so. Plus, many employers are going to have to increase wages to lure folks back into the workforce and that will  increase prices on other goods as well.

• Upvote 3

On 5/12/2021 at 10:18 AM, LongJim said:

Are we headed for massive inflation?  Might be.

https://www.bls.gov/news.release/cpi.nr0.htm

Yes.  Yes we are.  Anecdotally, I've seen it in grocery prices over the past few months, not to mention at the pump.  

With the Fed's easy money policy and all the stimulus money flooding the economy this could be an ugly year.  And the cure will be just as bad.

18 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

Plus, many employers are going to have to increase wages to lure folks back into the workforce... 

Yeah, as long as employers are competing with COVID unemployment checks.  But once they tighten the restrictions on the Covid unemployment checks - which states are already doing, some even opting out - that will change.

• Upvote 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1

16 minutes ago, GBarksdale said:

Yes.  Yes we are.  Anecdotally, I've seen it in grocery prices over the past few months, not to mention at the pump.  

With the Fed's easy money policy and all the stimulus money flooding the economy this could be an ugly year.  And the cure will be just as bad.

Yeah, as long as employers are competing with COVID unemployment checks.  But once they tighten the restrictions on the Covid unemployment checks - which states are already doing, some even opting out - that will change.

Thanks. I really appreciate your reply. Good stuff.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ADLER said:

Too many Americans are either too young or too infatuated in progressing their own special interest groups to be able to remember the wonderful world of stagflation.

Now the government is borrowing and spending trillions of dollars to cover up any symptoms of a self inflicted recession.

What happens when the United States is supposed to start paying back the loans? This will be the new and improved National Malaise. We're already starting to see it.

A good man, but clueless.  Just like now.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Jimmy Biden,  by the beginning of this third year we should be entering a Great Recession.  Bring back the Misery Index........it was such fun times (sarcasm).    

Then Jimmy Biden can put on his sweater and sit by the fireplace and give us a speech just like Carter gave us.

Carter was most likely the most honest president we have had but he is in over his head.  I cant say Biden is as honest.

Edited by southsideguy
  • Upvote 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 4

• 1 year later...
On 5/30/2021 at 8:52 AM, southsideguy said:

Jimmy Biden,  by the beginning of this third year we should be entering a Great Recession.  Bring back the Misery Index........it was such fun times (sarcasm).    

Then Jimmy Biden can put on his sweater and sit by the fireplace and give us a speech just like Carter gave us.

Carter was most likely the most honest president we have had but he is in over his head.  I cant say Biden is as honest.

are we entering a Great Recession?

• Upvote 1

On 1/21/2023 at 10:50 PM, Coffee and TV said:

Nah, the labor shortage is long term.

yet, unemployment sits at 3.5%...so maybe the "shortage" is actually just acutely targeted to certain industries who have consistently under-paid and exploited workers. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

5 hours ago, Censored by Laurie said:

yet, unemployment sits at 3.5%...so maybe the "shortage" is actually just acutely targeted to certain industries who have consistently under-paid and exploited workers. 

Entirely, but it still creates a ripple through a good bit of the economy.

• Upvote 1

I am reading an interesting book right now call the The American Expiration Date.   It talks about our national debt and how it will bring America's living standard way down.  We will exist and it does not discussed the USA going away but talks how we could lose the dollars status at the worlds currency and what follows.

We have to get spending under control and both parties as guilty as the other.  I have also thought term limits would be a good idea.  Maybe knowing they cant be reelected they will be willing to make some hard choices instead of worrying about their reelection. Plus no one person gets to much power.

1 hour ago, Kristoper Wayton said:

It's frustrating that companies are still using 2-3% as their annual "cost of living" raise.   YoY inflation has been 2-3x that for a couple of years.

Not all companies have the ability to pay with the rate of inflation. Earnings growth in '22 was extremely rare and isolated to mostly energy companies. We also have differing inflation rates vs. the CPI basket. As a homeowner, my rate of inflation was much lower than those who were renters.

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 2