Jump to content

CPI Has Risen .9% Since March. Highest Increase Since April 1982


Recommended Posts

8 hours ago, LongJim said:

Are we headed for massive inflation?  Might be.

https://www.bls.gov/news.release/cpi.nr0.htm

 

Looking at the price of cars and homes right now, I’d say so. Plus, many employers are going to have to increase wages to lure folks back into the workforce and that will  increase prices on other goods as well.

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/12/2021 at 10:18 AM, LongJim said:

Are we headed for massive inflation?  Might be.

https://www.bls.gov/news.release/cpi.nr0.htm

 

Yes.  Yes we are.  Anecdotally, I've seen it in grocery prices over the past few months, not to mention at the pump.  

With the Fed's easy money policy and all the stimulus money flooding the economy this could be an ugly year.  And the cure will be just as bad.

18 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

Plus, many employers are going to have to increase wages to lure folks back into the workforce... 

Yeah, as long as employers are competing with COVID unemployment checks.  But once they tighten the restrictions on the Covid unemployment checks - which states are already doing, some even opting out - that will change.

  • Upvote 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, GBarksdale said:

Yes.  Yes we are.  Anecdotally, I've seen it in grocery prices over the past few months, not to mention at the pump.  

With the Fed's easy money policy and all the stimulus money flooding the economy this could be an ugly year.  And the cure will be just as bad.

Yeah, as long as employers are competing with COVID unemployment checks.  But once they tighten the restrictions on the Covid unemployment checks - which states are already doing, some even opting out - that will change.

Thanks. I really appreciate your reply. Good stuff.

  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, ADLER said:

Too many Americans are either too young or too infatuated in progressing their own special interest groups to be able to remember the wonderful world of stagflation.

Now the government is borrowing and spending trillions of dollars to cover up any symptoms of a self inflicted recession.

What happens when the United States is supposed to start paying back the loans? This will be the new and improved National Malaise. We're already starting to see it.

 

A good man, but clueless.  Just like now.

  • Upvote 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Jimmy Biden,  by the beginning of this third year we should be entering a Great Recession.  Bring back the Misery Index........it was such fun times (sarcasm).    

Then Jimmy Biden can put on his sweater and sit by the fireplace and give us a speech just like Carter gave us.

Carter was most likely the most honest president we have had but he is in over his head.  I cant say Biden is as honest.

Edited by southsideguy
  • Upvote 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 year later...
On 5/30/2021 at 8:52 AM, southsideguy said:

Jimmy Biden,  by the beginning of this third year we should be entering a Great Recession.  Bring back the Misery Index........it was such fun times (sarcasm).    

Then Jimmy Biden can put on his sweater and sit by the fireplace and give us a speech just like Carter gave us.

Carter was most likely the most honest president we have had but he is in over his head.  I cant say Biden is as honest.

are we entering a Great Recession?

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/21/2023 at 10:50 PM, Coffee and TV said:

Nah, the labor shortage is long term.

yet, unemployment sits at 3.5%...so maybe the "shortage" is actually just acutely targeted to certain industries who have consistently under-paid and exploited workers. 

  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Censored by Laurie said:

yet, unemployment sits at 3.5%...so maybe the "shortage" is actually just acutely targeted to certain industries who have consistently under-paid and exploited workers. 

Entirely, but it still creates a ripple through a good bit of the economy.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I am reading an interesting book right now call the The American Expiration Date.   It talks about our national debt and how it will bring America's living standard way down.  We will exist and it does not discussed the USA going away but talks how we could lose the dollars status at the worlds currency and what follows.

We have to get spending under control and both parties as guilty as the other.  I have also thought term limits would be a good idea.  Maybe knowing they cant be reelected they will be willing to make some hard choices instead of worrying about their reelection. Plus no one person gets to much power.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Kristoper Wayton said:

It's frustrating that companies are still using 2-3% as their annual "cost of living" raise.   YoY inflation has been 2-3x that for a couple of years.

Not all companies have the ability to pay with the rate of inflation. Earnings growth in '22 was extremely rare and isolated to mostly energy companies. We also have differing inflation rates vs. the CPI basket. As a homeowner, my rate of inflation was much lower than those who were renters.

  • Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Please review our full Privacy Policy before using our site.