Hello my feathered friends,

I am excited to return to Denton for a very short visit this week. This will be my first time in about five years so am looking forward to this very much.

At the risk of opening a can of worms, what would be the best BBQ in town? I am meeting a group of classmates for lunch on Friday and would appreciate your recommendations. None of them live in Denton so they are not up on things there.

Please accept my thanks in advance as I will not have an opportunity to thank you personally. I am driving from Durham so will be on the road a great deal.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, letsgiveacheer said:

Hello my feathered friends,

I am excited to return to Denton for a very short visit this week. This will be my first time in about five years so am looking forward to this very much.

At the risk of opening a can of worms, what would be the best BBQ in town? I am meeting a group of classmates for lunch on Friday and would appreciate your recommendations. None of them live in Denton so they are not up on things there.

Please accept my thanks in advance as I will not have an opportunity to thank you personally. I am driving from Durham so will be on the road a great deal.

There isn't a place anywhere around Denton worth buying BBQ, sadly.
I'd recommend driving over to Frisco and hit up Hutchins.

EDIT:  That said, thank you Metzler's & Rudy's for your continued support of the Mean Green!  Y'all are awesome.

Edited by MeanGreenTexan
  • Upvote 7
  • Downvote 1

Thank you to all who provided recommendations. We ended up at Rudy's as I was only in Denton for a very short time and did not want to spend any extra time on the road than was needed. It may not have been the best but for someone who has not had any Texas BBQ in over ten years, it was good enough.

BTW, how Denton has grown!! What a shocker.

• Upvote 7

9 hours ago, letsgiveacheer said:

Thank you to all who provided recommendations. We ended up at Rudy's as I was only in Denton for a very short time and did not want to spend any extra time on the road than was needed. It may not have been the best but for someone who has not had any Texas BBQ in over ten years, it was good enough.

BTW, how Denton has grown!! What a shocker.

Tell us more about your visit.  Did you get to spend anytime on campus?  Bookstore?

5 minutes ago, letsgiveacheer said:

Thanks for asking. I am honored that the UNT Music Library is establishing a special collection in my name so the purpose of this trip was to deliver scores and other materials for this collection.

I had a great time for the two days I was there and was treated very well.  Most importantly, I got to visit with some classmates, most of whom I had not seen in 45 years or so!

The campus has changed so much as you would imagine from the early 70's! There were only 16,000 students enrolled at that time and Denton County had a population of about 30,000. About the only thing that hasn't changed was Voertman's! The loss of the sketchy shops on iconic Fry Street was disappointing.

They had a very nice dinner for me at Queenies where I met the Dean of the College of Music as well as Daniel Cook, the marching band director among other conducting responsibilities. I am so pleased that the band is in his very capable hands. 

Wow, we are in the presence of royalty!

Royalty GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

Seriously though, what a fabulous honor for you.  Congratulations on a great accomplishment.

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 4
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, letsgiveacheer said:

Thanks for asking. I am honored that the UNT Music Library is establishing a special collection in my name so the purpose of this trip was to deliver scores and other materials for this collection.

I had a great time for the two days I was there and was treated very well.  Most importantly, I got to visit with some classmates, most of whom I had not seen in 45 years or so!

The campus has changed so much as you would imagine from the early 70's! There were only 16,000 students enrolled at that time and Denton County had a population of about 30,000. About the only thing that hasn't changed was Voertman's! The loss of the sketchy shops on iconic Fry Street was disappointing.

They had a very nice dinner for me at Queenies where I met the Dean of the College of Music as well as Daniel Cook, the marching band director among other conducting responsibilities. I am so pleased that the band is in his very capable hands. 

Fun fact relating to the fry street observation: 

recently learned that the smoke shop on fry is the oldest standing smoke shop in USA. Been around since the 70’s! I’ve never been/indulged but I thought that was an interesting fact

• Thanks 2

19 hours ago, greenminer said:

Where did you learn this from?

someone who works there. others places have closed down and opened back up or something to that extent, but zebra smoke or whatever it's called has been the longest running.

• Thanks 1