Is it time to start lobbying for the AAC?

I hate the thought that we have to wait until some other school is finished before we can get a seat at the table.  I hate thinking thus, but I think adding baseball would add an impressive page to out application portfolio.  Currently, we are one of two schools in DFW that don’t offer the great game.  If we played baseball, we could tout our better “well rounded” athletics menu.  

irs been said many times. If we could get the weight of our ALUMS in the DFW area behind BB I think we could get it done.  Money.

Edited by greenjoe
  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

10 minutes ago, greenjoe said:

I hate the thought that we have to wait until some other school is finished before we can get a seat at the table.  I gate thinking thus, but I think adding baseball would add an impressive page to out application portfolio.  Currently, we are one of two schools in DFW that don’t offer the great game.  If we played baseball, we could tout our better “well rounded” athletics menu.  

irs been said many times. If we could get the weight of our slums in the DFW area behind BB I think we could get it done.  Money.

I know teachers and musicians (what we are most known for) aren’t typically the most well paid, but do we really have the “weight of our slums” to throw around?  😆😆

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 4

Why do so many think that SMU would prevent NT from entering the AAC?  They would probably try to, but they are only one vote.  

I seriously doubt that UH, Tulsa, Tulane or any of their East coast teams would support NT membership.  

As an aside, not many outside of NT fans would agree that NT is the best CUSA program.  Most of NT's strength is in the women's sports, and leagues seldom pick teams based on that. 

• Upvote 3

23 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

Why do so many think that SMU would prevent NT from entering the AAC?  They would probably try to, but they are only one vote.  

I seriously doubt that UH, Tulsa, Tulane or any of their East coast teams would support NT membership.  

As an aside, not many outside of NT fans would agree that NT is the best CUSA program.  Most of NT's strength is in the women's sports, and leagues seldom pick teams based on that. 

Why would any school in the region where we recruit against support us moving up and perhaps having more leverage in recruiting

4 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Why would any school in the region where we recruit against support us moving up and perhaps having more leverage in recruiting

I am not sure what your point is.  I just stated that NT probably would get no support from AAC conference teams.  

The obvious reason is that they don't want to help a team they have a big recruiting advantage over. 

That could change if NT's programs got to the point that they would elevate the AAC conference with their presence.    A program that consistently was in the top 10 G5 teams in football and basketball would be attractive.

The most likely scenario for NT moving up would be based on an reorganization of the conferences based on location.   The problem is that the AAC has a very good media contract and has no reason to do anything as long as it is in effect.   

• Upvote 1

This has always been an easy formula.  Dominate your current conference and other conferences will not need to be persuaded.  They will be chasing us.  That has never happened around here as even our best years we were not exactly spectacular.   If football gets its act together and basketball maintains or improves then the AAC will be knocking at our door.  But we have know this for decades and here we are.  

• Upvote 5

17 hours ago, Tom McKrackin said:

My tweet!

A few things.

1.We have won the most championships in the conference in the past 2 years, and had 3 MVPs with a Male Athlete of the year.

2. Football and SMU is holding us back. I don't see what would be wrong with us in the same conference as smu. If smu claims they are a AAC powerhouse, they shouldn't need to worry about little ole us. If they're the powerhouse, they shouldn't have a problem with TV and attendance ratings, recruiting, and so on.

To be  honest, it's between us and UAB. Both are building great programs, and while UAB is building back basketball, we are building back football. If we can get a few years of success in football, I don't see why we wouldn't be a fancy choice to add to the AAC.

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

Because you don’t share TV markets...that’s why it won’t happen. SMU has that power. Nobody else is voting to add us into a TV market they already have.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

36 minutes ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

My tweet!

A few things.

1.We have won the most championships in the conference in the past 2 years, and had 3 MVPs with a Male Athlete of the year.

2. Football and SMU is holding us back. I don't see what would be wrong with us in the same conference as smu. If smu claims they are a AAC powerhouse, they shouldn't need to worry about little ole us. If they're the powerhouse, they shouldn't have a problem with TV and attendance ratings, recruiting, and so on.

To be  honest, it's between us and UAB. Both are building great programs, and while UAB is building back basketball, we are building back football. If we can get a few years of success in football, I don't see why we wouldn't be a fancy choice to add to the AAC.

Again most leagues looking for new members couldn't care less about how many non-revenue sports championships a team has. 

NT has won one men basketball CUSA tournament and one regular conference championship.   No championships in football or women's basketball.  

An excellent sign SMU does not worry about NT's football, is that have a long term contract to play NT.   However, that certainly doesn't mean they want NT in the same conference.  

The major determinate in recruiting is conference affiliation.   I highly doubt SMU and even more so Tulsa and Tulane would want NT has a league mate. 

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

Because you don’t share TV markets...that’s why it won’t happen. SMU has that power. Nobody else is voting to add us into a TV market they already have.

Even if we add 300,000 new viewers?  That's the opinion of many but no one to my knowledge has figured the plusses and minuses.  We'd have to build a strong football program in the next few years to make a good case.  As for SMU I don't believe that there is the animosity that once existed between us.  We left the teachers college status about 70 years ago and most of that stigma has been removed.  As to openings, Connecticut hasn't been replaced.  If that is decided before we gain support then the only other possibilities are Tulsa throwing in the towel or the AAC deciding to expand to 14 teams. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, GrandGreen said:

Again most leagues looking for new members couldn't care less about how many non-revenue sports championships a team has. 

NT has won one men basketball CUSA tournament and one regular conference championship.   No championships in football or women's basketball.  

An excellent sign SMU does not worry about NT's football, is that have a long term contract to play NT.   However, that certainly doesn't mean they want NT in the same conference.  

The major determinate in recruiting is conference affiliation.   I highly doubt SMU and even more so Tulsa and Tulane would want NT has a league mate. 

Schools like Tulsa, ECU, USF aren’t helping the AAC. I read an article that I’ll find later, that Tulsa and the other 2 were barely scraping the surface money wise.

Also, those 3 don’t win in any major sport, or when they do it’s one in 5 years.

I guess my bias on this topic is too strong

• Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1

Yes, I understand our other sports are doing well. 

However, Football we are very meh.

We barely compete in C-USA, much less AAC. The football team had those 2-9 win seasons, and the 1 good season with McCarney. Other than that, we have been very mediocre in the conference.

20 hours ago, greenminer said:

If 10+ other members want us in, what can SMU do or say to deny us?

I don't know..but I do know they were very successful when that guy named Hayden Fry tried to get NTSU into the SWC....they led the private schools in their desire to keep us out..

• Upvote 1