15 draft picks

Mab2015

La Tech is averaging 2 draft picks a year since 2013, yet they are consistently middle of the pack in conference recruiting rankings. They have more draft picks than Colorado, K State, Ok State and Texas Tech in the CFP era. How are they developing NFL ready talent at such a consistent level?

83AE08CD-418A-4248-B638-D200949F6859.jpeg

Edited by Mab2015
  • Upvote 3

11 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

SkipHoltz2.jpg?itok=rOm7cYNd

^^^^^^This

I would kill to have Skip Holtz coach for the Mean Green. He routinely develops guys for the next level and remains competitive year in and year out.

Littrell has a glimmer of that, but nowhere near the consistency. 

• Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1

TAKE SOMINEX TONIGHT OR READ THIS EPISTLE...

My gut feeling tells me the pendulum is fixen’ to swing back in the direction of North Texas as far as La Tech is concerned.
 •••The pics below of which so many Texas HS coaches & future recruits have yet to see these venues in person are just a few reasons why.

For whatever reason, Skip Holtz has not been seriously considered for P5 job openings enough as to hire him.  Lucky for the Ruston school inasmuch that it gives the “appearance” to recruits that the LaTech HFC had (all the time) unpacked all his suitcases years ago with intentions to stay awhile.  That unexpected continuity from a winning G5 Coach has undoubtedly helped the Bulldog’s recruiting.  No other job offers for Holtz most definitely has had its percs for LTU.

Say what you will, but that Big 12 job offer to Seth Littrell cost us. (Reliable media say it was the demands by KSU’s Bill Snyder that Seth keep his son on as a Wildcat assistant coach which subsequently became a deal-ender for our HFC.
I honestly believe that the “almost” hire of SL by KSU ended up costing North Texas 2 “AAC  & UH-type” recruiting classes plus I believe it created the lack of a full focus for our football program.  

🦅 OK, like many of you, I‘m a Seth Littrell supporter.  We all need to be for the greater good of all things Mean Green.
SL ain’t going anywhere because a fan forum wills that he do. Yet I believe Seth’s Oklahoma connections helped build for UNT a fabulous Indoor Practice Facility in record time. (Remember back in the day when we used to talk about doing that kind of thing for about 10 years before dirt would even be turned)?  

56CFC47F-0311-475B-92F6-05AB86121698.jpeg.4293e5150cc3c9ec94c3ffd35e195957.jpegEC8B7590-2AC0-4B7A-A058-AEAACC038685.jpeg.0105df3c628f2c53f191850e2eed3117.jpeg8DBDC8C8-8745-4B50-A86B-2B90D824D513.jpeg.40b56988e8a0a3d6005456fdf4bcacc6.jpegD6767CCD-E8E0-4746-91C8-8E4B44990958.jpeg.be32e20ef835b1ed09a45fe3ef83d7e3.jpegA5320167-14C1-4231-ADEB-F7569072867D.jpeg.c55af4d1795022db977a143b03a2c4d7.jpeg

5D5AA219-A7E6-4918-8CCC-283900A2F99F.jpeg

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

Yet I believe Seth’s Oklahoma connections helped build for UNT a fabulous Indoor Practice Facility in record time. (Remember back in the day when we used to talk about doing that kind of thing for about 10 years before dirt would even be turned)?  

I agree with your post, but what OK connections helped build the IPF considering it is named for the McNatt and Lovelace families due to their large donations?

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

33 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

I agree with your post, but what OK connections helped build the IPF considering it is named for the McNatt and Lovelace families due to their large donations?

Just confirmed with another alum to make sure, but Seth’s parents of Oklahoma & the Lovelace family of Denton were longtime friends.  As I also recall it was Lovelace who used his Leer(?) to fly out to North Carolina to bring SL to Denton for his first news conference as new UNT coach.  Lovelace made the initial financial commitment for the new  IPF.  McNatts followed suit.  I know the MG Nation are beyond glad that both families were that gracious.

❇️🦅❇️ GMG!

• Upvote 5

5 hours ago, meangreen11 said:

Agreed.  I think we really need for SL to blossom as we have invested way too much money and time into him to let him go now.

I don't disagree but that's also buying into the sunk cost fallacy. Do you keep pouring money into that drain or pull it? I really hope he blossoms. There are sparks.

Edited by Udomann
  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

On 5/7/2021 at 8:53 AM, MGNation92 said:

^^^^^^This

I would kill to have Skip Holtz coach for the Mean Green. He routinely develops guys for the next level and remains competitive year in and year out.

Littrell has a glimmer of that, but nowhere near the consistency. 

I’m not sure you can put that entirely on Seth. Our school had some sort of negative reputation with front offices for some reason. Look at the contrast between Jeff Wilson and Kenneth Dixon. Jeff was much better prepared for the NFL despite not being drafted.  I think it has to do more with LaTech having a better reputation than us as opposed to Skip being some fantastic developer. Jaelon was the player the NFL front offices could not ignore. He SHOULD have won the Biletnikoff.

• Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1

On 5/9/2021 at 7:04 AM, Cr1028 said:

I’m not sure you can put that entirely on Seth. Our school had some sort of negative reputation with front offices for some reason. Look at the contrast between Jeff Wilson and Kenneth Dixon. Jeff was much better prepared for the NFL despite not being drafted.  I think it has to do more with LaTech having a better reputation than us as opposed to Skip being some fantastic developer. Jaelon was the player the NFL front offices could not ignore. He SHOULD have won the Biletnikoff.

You can now in year 6.

There's no excuse for having a bad history. If you're the coach that's going to put us on the map, you've had the time to invest in your guys, your staff, and your program. I'd say the biggest problem has been our inability to develop quality OL/DL prospects for the next level. LaTech routinely has D-linemen go in the 2-4th round seemingly every year. WKU seems to have solid OL prospects every year. We can only get so far with receivers and running backs, especially when there's a wealth of talent at both positions every year.

Edited by MGNation92
  • Upvote 3