DRC: Jaelon Darden selected by Buccaneers, snaps UNT's draft drought

Congrats to the Tampa Bay Bucaneers. This is how championship level teams make decisions: trading up to ge tthe underrated WR with the absolute elite twitch and work ethic.

1 minute ago, RiseUNT said:

Is this the first time @Brett Vito gets to write a positive article about the draft?

Probably. None of us really know what he would do if this became when this becomes a regular thing.

• Upvote 2

Arians entering Day 3...

“We’re always looking for guys that can run,” Arians said. “Speed in any kind of category…defensive backs who can be gunners. We need to improve our special teams. For those guys tomorrow, we’ll be looking at guys who can fill roles, but also be really core special teams players that can help us in those areas.”

Source: https://www.pewterreport.com/arians-bucs-day-3-nfl-draft-plans/

Based on punt return stats last year, looks like there may be an opportunity for Darden...

• Jaydon Mickens - 16 returns, final year of contract with $0 guaranteed
  • Kenjon Barner - 13 returns, currently a free agent

Proud of Jaelon. Well deserved.

• Upvote 7

As a life-long, die-hard Bucs fan and UNT alum, I love the move. They have the best WR core in the NFL (truly five deep before Darden) but was still hoping they’d draft him. Arians has a history of using and loving smaller speedsters. He will definitely get the first opportunity to be the PR and KR as that is really their only weakness currently. He will definitely have to fight for playing time as he will come in as WR6, but they will definitely scheme up ways to get him the ball. Arians said that he has been talking to Tom about the draft picks and that Brady is already really excited about Jaelon. I think it is a homerun pick and glad that Jaelon will get to win a Super Bowl as a rookie! 🙂 

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, SilverEagle said:

Now that all of the draft drama is behind us, let me ask what I think is a very important question.

Who was the assistant coach that spotted JD in the first place, assessed his talent, and then signed him to play at North Texas? I certainly hope he is still with us.

I feel like it was either Filani (who’s at Texas Tech now), or Tommy Mainord who was at the time the inside WRs coach.