UTEP coach admires McCasland

"There's good players out there," he continued. "There's going to be good players a week from now. There's going to be good players a month from now. Transfer portal is nuts. The JUCO route, the high school kids—we're all navigating this and trying to figure this out."

Over the course of the three years Terry was at the helm, the program saw 18 players enter the transfer portal. The new coaching staff will prioritize retention to establish continuity within the roster, despite the ever-growing transfer portal.

"Retention is a big deal," Golding stated. "Look at North Texas. I've studied Grant (McCasland). He had the job at ACU, left for Baylor and I got the job, so we go way back. Grant's retained a lot of that roster. That's why they've won. Western Kentucky has retained some and that's why they've won. I don't subscribe to the idea that you're going to lose 10 guys to the portal. Yeah, the portal has changed. Yes, kids are going to leave.

Read More: The Latest Scoop on UTEP Men's Basketball Recruiting | https://krod.com/the-latest-scoop-on-utep-mens-basketball-recruiting/?utm_source=tsmclip&utm_medium=referral

"There's good players out there," he continued. "There's going to be good players a week from now. There's going to be good players a month from now. Transfer portal is nuts. The JUCO route, the high school kids—we're all navigating this and trying to figure this out."

Over the course of the three years Terry was at the helm, the program saw 18 players enter the transfer portal. The new coaching staff will prioritize retention to establish continuity within the roster, despite the ever-growing transfer portal.

"Retention is a big deal," Golding stated. "Look at North Texas. I've studied Grant (McCasland). He had the job at ACU, left for Baylor and I got the job, so we go way back. Grant's retained a lot of that roster. That's why they've won. Western Kentucky has retained some and that's why they've won. I don't subscribe to the idea that you're going to lose 10 guys to the portal. Yeah, the portal has changed. Yes, kids are going to leave.

Read More: The Latest Scoop on UTEP Men's Basketball Recruiting | https://krod.com/the-latest-scoop-on-utep-mens-basketball-recruiting/?utm_source=tsmclip&utm_medium=referral
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Coach Andy Mac said:

"Retention is a big deal," Golding stated. "Look at North Texas. I've studied Grant (McCasland). He had the job at ACU, left for Baylor and I got the job, so we go way back. Grant's retained a lot of that roster. That's why they've won..."

@97and03 thoughts?

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

9 hours ago, Coach Andy Mac said:

Wait... huh?

giphy.gif

I didn't know about this:
https://acusports.com/news/2011/7/18/MBB_0718113941.aspx
... oddly enough, under current Mean Green Deputy AD, Jared Mosley.

Because, according to his Mean Green Sports profile (https://meangreensports.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster/coaches/grant-mccasland/264), there's no mention of ACU: 
"Prior to Arkansas State, McCasland spent five seasons as an assistant coach at Baylor, helping lead the Bears to NCAA Tournament appearances in 2012, 2014, 2015 and 2016. The Bears also won their first-ever postseason title in program history in 2013, capturing the National Invitational Tournament (NIT) championship.

Before Baylor, he spent two seasons as the head coach at Midwestern State and led the program to back-to-back Elite Eight appearances in the NCAA Division II Tournament."

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Wait... huh?

giphy.gif

I didn't know about this:
https://acusports.com/news/2011/7/18/MBB_0718113941.aspx
... oddly enough, under current Mean Green Deputy AD, Jared Mosley.

Because, according to his Mean Green Sports profile (https://meangreensports.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster/coaches/grant-mccasland/264), there's no mention of ACU: 
"Prior to Arkansas State, McCasland spent five seasons as an assistant coach at Baylor, helping lead the Bears to NCAA Tournament appearances in 2012, 2014, 2015 and 2016. The Bears also won their first-ever postseason title in program history in 2013, capturing the National Invitational Tournament (NIT) championship.

Before Baylor, he spent two seasons as the head coach at Midwestern State and led the program to back-to-back Elite Eight appearances in the NCAA Division II Tournament."

It is true, Mosley is one of the biggest reasons Gmac is here. It is also the reason Benford wasn't instantly let go because Grant was the target right away. Mosley was also the reason ACU hired Golding. That move took awhile to show returns, impressive that ACU stuck with him to let him build things up.

Edited by xyresic
  • Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Coach Andy Mac said:

Western doesn’t make JUCO kids into star players, they get top end players that choke in the championships

• Haha 1