Tailgating

Sorry if this is an irrelevant post. I graduated in '19 and didnt attend any games last year due to COVID. I've been looking at grabbing a tailgate spot this year to go along with my season tickets. Basically just curious what the best way to go about it is. Where should I get a lot, and do I need to grab one of the packages the school offers or is there a way to just secure a lot without all the tents/equipment included?

• Upvote 3

55 minutes ago, WanderingEagle said:

Sorry if this is an irrelevant post. I graduated in '19 and didnt attend any games last year due to COVID. I've been looking at grabbing a tailgate spot this year to go along with my season tickets. Basically just curious what the best way to go about it is. Where should I get a lot, and do I need to grab one of the packages the school offers or is there a way to just secure a lot without all the tents/equipment included?

Definitely not irrelevant!

Not sure how much you're looking to spend on tickets/parking, but if you can get into the Blue Lot, there are a lot of great tailgating spots that you can set up yourself in there, or join in with existing tailgate groups.    I know you can tailgate over in the Orange Lot (where the old Fouts Parking lot is) as well.   As long as you have your own equipment, you can set up/tear down yourself.    I wasn't aware of a tailgate package Athletics sold!

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Not sure how much you're looking to spend on tickets/parking, but if you can get into the Blue Lot, there are a lot of great tailgating spots that you can set up yourself in there, or join in with existing tailgate groups.    I know you can tailgate over in the Orange Lot (where the old Fouts Parking lot is) as well.   As long as you have your own equipment, you can set up/tear down yourself. 

I REALLY appreciate the help! Do I have to contact someone to pay for a lot or is it like a first come first serve type of deal?

• Upvote 3

Join the MGSF:

https://meangreenscholarshipfund.com/benefits.html

It says that at $300 level you get a blue parking pass. At that point, it is first come situation. Only the black, green and white lots are assigned parking. 

• Upvote 5

Just now, WanderingEagle said:

I REALLY appreciate the help! Do I have to contact someone to pay for a lot or is it like a first come first serve type of deal?

When you say "lot", do you mean a spot to tailgate?     If so, it's a first come, first serve, and for the Blue Lot, most of the sweet spots are taken several hours before kickoff.

Officially, the "Lots" are the Green/Black/White lots for the uppity, hoity-toity folks, the Blue lot for the majority of season ticket holders on the Home side, and the Orange & Yellow lots, which are pay-per-game lot for those that buy tickets per game, or have cheaper season tickets.   The Red "lot" is just an empty field, so I'd recommend you have ability to drive on it if you want to try it.  But I believe it's also pay-per-game.

apogeeparking2020_All.png

• Upvote 3

43 minutes ago, golfingomez said:

I used to tailgate right here it served me well... there was a port a potty nearby and the shade from the tree was clutch... of course this was 5 years ago when i lived in Dallas.

image.png.baba00e46b1361f2a3d0a80cf41bd4b3.png

I am about 100 feet from that spot! Usually almost aligned with the IPF.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, WanderingEagle said:

Heh. Appreciate it. Still in Denton but none of my UNT friends are football fans. Need to find some.

Once you are set up that first game, wander around (shouldn't be hard from your handle here on the board) and mingle with some of the other tailgates.  I am certain you will have new UNT friends that ARE football fans within about an hour. 

• Upvote 6

24 minutes ago, emmitt01 said:

Once you are set up that first game, wander around (shouldn't be hard from your handle here on the board) and mingle with some of the other tailgates.  I am certain you will have new UNT friends that ARE football fans within about an hour. 

Sweet! I'll take you up on that. Goes both ways, I love to cook so my tailgate will be an open door. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, THOR said:

rvs do have some reserved spots in certain areas of green grass....be wary of that.  the spot golfinggomez highlighted is fine on the left, but the grassy area may be reserved for rvs.  

got damned dudes that are giving rvs for the rvs....love you folks!

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, WanderingEagle said:

Heh. Appreciate it. Still in Denton but none of my UNT friends are football fans. Need to find some.

Come swing by my tailgate on September 4th. Lined up with the IPF in a white tent, we love new tailgaters. Be ready for some shots

• Upvote 1