Mens C-USA golf championship

outoftown

About halfway through the back nine. Still tied

Bergson lost (5 and 4) Gopal will win (up 5) and I trust Marzilio to bring his up 3 home too.

That means it will be up to Wilcox (even) and Forslund (down 1) to decide it. If either of them can gain a shot on the competition NT could avoid a shootout. if Wilcox loses one it could be over.

I keep thinking MTSU will come back to earth and cool off, but man they are hot right now and have to be playing with a load of confidence.  If you look back through the tournament, we have avoided the big swings and have been very consistent.  Will be fun to follow tomorrow.  I have faith.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, THOR said:

wilcox....25 ft putt on 18

wilcox....30 ft putt on 19

wilcox can putt

Definitely some nerves of steel there, making big putts with your back to the wall

https://meangreensports.com/news/2021/4/28/Mean-Green-Win-Match-Play-Semi-In-Epic-Fashion.aspx

I also like the story about the burpee practice to simulate crunch time situations

Edited by outoftown

About to start Today. One of the questions that will hopefully stay academic is whether NT would make it into NCAA regionals even if they do not win the conference. NT is currently in 66th on the golfstat rankings (updated just yesterday) and was 71st in golfweeks rankings (prior to the tournament).

According to the below blog on golfweek the cut line looks to be about 67th but that was just before conference championships, so NT could very much be just on the cut line. 

https://golfweek.usatoday.com/2021/03/06/college-golf-blog-road-to-ncaa-championship-grayhawk/

Anyway, win and this becomes an unimportant thought.

Edited by outoftown
  • Upvote 2

MT continues on a hot streak (10 birdies to our 5 in the early going).  Not looking good right now, but still plenty of time to flip some of these matches.  Win a couple holes and all of a sudden the opponent is thinking about that big lead they gave away.  

Just now, keith said:

MT continues on a hot streak (10 birdies to our 5 in the early going).  Not looking good right now, but still plenty of time to flip some of these matches.  Win a couple holes and all of a sudden the opponent is thinking about that big lead they gave away.  

Definitely need a momentum turn. I was worried when i saw that Marzilio was only at the end and the Forslund and Bergson who ended badly yesterday were early, because someone needs to remind those MT players that them losing this thing is a real possibility.

I fear it is time to start speculating whether second place will be good enough to get an at large anyway.

Overall the tournament was fairly good, just today is disappointing.

The trouncing taken today will hopefully not be closely observed by many of those making the decisions, because it is not a good look.

Edited by outoftown

1 hour ago, outoftown said:

I fear it is time to start speculating whether second place will be good enough to get an at large anyway.

Overall the tournament was fairly good, just today is disappointing.

The trouncing taken today will hopefully not be closely observed by many of those making the decisions, because it is not a good look.

We are ranked in the 60s. Not going to get an at large. Zero chance. 

• Sad 1