2013 vs 2017 offensive trio

Just now, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

Should I do one where it’s 2013 defense vs 2017 offense?

One of the problems when you look at how "older" defenses would do against "newer" offenses is the rule changes. It seems almost every year the officials emphasize rules to increase offense and protect the QB. The 2013 D was able to play in a way the 2017 couldn't, and in 2021+ the D has even more limits. 

That being said, the 2017 O-line would not be able to handle the 2013 D-line. It would probably be a case where the 2017 O would probably put up good numbers but would still be held enough to be outscored by the opponents O that was not as good.

2017 is miles better at QB, better at running back, and loses out to 2013 if you are talking college only...in fact, if Brelan is on last year’s team we win about two more games 

Now, I want to know who everyone’s first, second, and third choice would be if we threw the trio of Scott Hall, Jamario Thomas, and Johnny Quinn in there

Edited by emmitt01
  • Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1

29 minutes ago, emmitt01 said:

Now, I want to know who everyone’s first, second, and third choice would be if we threw the trio of Scott Hall, Jamario Thomas, and Johnny Quinn in there

Suggesting Hall makes it hard to decide without thinking about schemes.

I'll always feel like Hall was in the perfect scheme for his skillset, and likewise for Fine and SL's scheme.  I just can't wrap my mind around fitting them into the same offense and comparing.

Freshman Jamario wins this decision by a landslide, no matter the scheme.  Wilson is a comfortable 2nd.

Still no clear cut front man at WR.  Q probably had more precise route running than Darden, but didn't have that elite level "twitch" that puts JD in the NFL.  Guyton is a deep threat.  For some reason, never seemed comfortable in college but clearly has League-level ability.

Honestly, I'll never understand why Brelan didn't make the NFL cut.  I thought he was that special.  Different mold than Guyton but I liked him more.

49 minutes ago, emmitt01 said:

2017 is miles better at QB, better at running back, and loses out to 2013 if you are talking college only...in fact, if Brelan is on last year’s team we win about two more games 

BTW, if you're asking to rank these trios keeping them in their respective groups, I'd say this:

*this list was edited because I realized this was indeed freshman year Jamario.

Edited by greenminer

Well, if we're going to expand beyond the question, then I have to talk about the 1968 trio of Steve Ramsey, Leo Taylor, and Barry Moore.  National rankings:  Ramsey #3 TD Passes; #4 Passing Yards; #5 Total Yards.  Taylor #15 Rushing yards behind O.J., Mercury Morris,  Paul Gibson, Steve Owens, and Chris Gilbert, but ahead of Leroy Keyes and Jim Otis; #10 Yards from scrimmage ahead of Keyes, Elmo Wright, Jerry Levias and Calvin Hill, and #11 in TDs from scrimmage. Barry Moore #6 Receptions and #9 receiving yards (and that's sharing receptions, yards, and TDs with Ronnie Shanklin!)  As with 2013, it sure helps the offense to have a great defense.  As to the question, I'm going with 2017.

Leo Taylor Scan_20210424 (3).jpg

Edited by Eagle71
  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 2

28 minutes ago, TIgreen01 said:

Mason Fine, Freshman JaMario, Brelan

Not a loser in the bunch, though.  Freshman JaMario is still the second best player I’ve ever seen in green behind Booger.

Factor in the entire offense, and 2013 goes to first, 2004 second and 2017 third.  Oline matters.

If Jamario never hurts his hamstring, the rushing record gets put out of reach.

Of course, if Jamario played under today’s NCAA rules he enters the transfer portal and goes to UT the next day (you know, with no improper contact prior to his decision to leave 😉)

• Upvote 3
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, TIgreen01 said:

JaMario is still the second best player I’ve ever seen in green behind Booger

I share this view, but have always thought JaMario might have passed Booger had he not gotten injured.

having said that, we’ve been very blessed at RB. Booger was a generational player at a position which we struggle to recruit well.

• Upvote 1