Doubt Their Doubt: The Tylor Perry Basketball Story

meangreen11

This is Tylor Perry in his own words.

In 2019, we spoke to Tylor Perry, a Class of 2019 recruit out of Fort Coffee, Oklahoma, about his basketball journey up to that point. Now two years later, Tylor Perry is back to share what happened over the last 24 months of his basketball life between graduating from Spiro High School to committing to North Texas on Sunday.

Doubt Their Doubt: The Tylor Perry Basketball Story

#JUCOPRODUCT

I think people pass the word underdog around way too much sometimes. I’m not sure if they really know what that word means. I don’t even use it anymore, because every kid in America tries to use it. Personally, I say, “I am the odds.” 

Let me tell you what I mean by that. My mother wasn’t a star basketball player, but my dad was pretty good. He had the smarts to the game, but he wasn’t this big-time NBA guy or overseas guy. Don’t get me wrong, he could hoop from what I’ve been told. Butmy dad was in prison the first nine years of my life. So, to tell you the truth, all the knowledge I missed out on those first nine years, I’m learning from him now. Both of my brothers were solid basketball players, but they weren’t those types of players who are going to sell out gyms or just make the crowd go absolutely crazy. 

In other words, I really didn’t come from a basketball family. 

My whole family on my mother’s side is athletes and football players. Then there are a few of my cousins who could ball. But my dad’s side? Nah. I think it’s just me and him, to be honest. 

With all that being said, God picked me and said, “Here son, go be great with that ball.” I know it didn’t just come from me and my dad. The feeling I get when that rock is in my hand and the way I think the game, some say it is second to none. But I know where it came from, so let me stop messing around: with the help of God! And plenty of hard work. 

As an 8, 9, and 10-year-old, I remember waking up at the crack of dawn and sneaking outside before I had to get ready for school just to work on my game. I’d try to get at least an hour in every day before one of my brothers or mom came outside and yelled at me to get in the house before I woke the neighbors up. But I didn’t care, man, I really didn’t. I wanted to hoop.

Read more:  https://nothingbutnylon.com/tylor-perry-doubt-their-doubt-my-basketball-story/

• Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 1