New UNT 2021 Starting Lineup

I hope we land Curtis Jones too. I love his floor game and his size as a 6’4” point guard. Jones does a great job getting to the middle of the paint and forcing post defenders and wing defenders to collapse on him giving him wide open looks for the offensive post player and spot up shooters. Perry on the other hand is great at creating his own shot and bombing threes efficiently but not as effective at getting good looks for others. Jones averaged 5.5 assists per game to Perry’s 2.5. 

I think Perry would be really good off the bench as a 6th man. Sort of like a DJ Draper who is able to run point or kill teams with his off-ball shooting. Then use the last two spots we have on a big who can either start over Ousmane or at least rotate with him, and a forward who can play the 4 and rotate with Bell. Preferably a stretch 4 like Bell.

Old habits die hard. Even in the transfer portal era Mccasland still seems to be favoring his JUCO roots.

• Upvote 8
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, drex said:

I am confident McCasland will field the best talent he could get, no matter where they came from.

GM has shown he has a plan to put together a competitive team come conference tournament time. With all of the new faces we might start slow, but I have faith in GM to have the team ready for the conference tournament. 

• Upvote 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

I think the big difference between Grant and the Benford, when it comes to recruiting, is that Benford went after the best overall talent he could get (star power).   Grant seems to go after the players that best fit his system.   Grants guys are still talented.  But, they seem to be a bit more under the radar.     

It's so nice to have a coach that has a long term plan and follows through with it.

• Upvote 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, akriesman said:

I think the big difference between Grant and the Benford, when it comes to recruiting, is that Benford went after the best overall talent he could get (star power).   Grant seems to go after the players that best fit his system.   Grants guys are still talented.  But, they seem to be a bit more under the radar.     

It's so nice to have a coach that has a long term plan and follows through with it.

It is also nice to have a coach that can develop that talent.  I would love to have Trilli back as lead recruiter and Mac developing those kids.

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, 97and03 said:

Grant also recruits a ton of players that don’t last. He turns over the majority of the roster every year. 

That also will turn a lot of players away sadly. You have to be able to developers your players and keep them. We have had great success  with some proven JUCO guys but Ruben Jones seems to be the only player Grant had been to snag as a freshman who had high potential. We also still have to developed and keep him. 

Then again, mid majors tend to lean on the JUCOs more so maybe that’s Grants plan. I highly doubt if her ever lands a bigger job he recruits like he did here. He would definitely be hitting up the HS recruits more. 

• Downvote 1

3 hours ago, 97and03 said:

Grant also recruits a ton of players that don’t last. He turns over the majority of the roster every year. 

Have you ever looked at the turnover at other schools.   Most schools, it is contribute within 2 years are you are gone if not after year one. 

I think McCasland is about as fair a hc as you are going to find in D1.  NT does not pay McCasland or any other hc to be a nice guy, you have to win. 

Edited by GrandGreen
  • Upvote 1
  • Confused 1

On 4/19/2021 at 10:07 AM, Tom McKrackin said:

On 4/20/2021 at 12:09 AM, BillySee58 said:

Let’s try and look at this from an unbiased standpoint to back that claim. Let’s say another school in our conference lost 3 starters and was going into the season with the following starting lineup:

PG: 5’11” JUCO signee with offers from ETSU, UIC, Montana State, and Florida Gulf Coast

SG: Returning starter coming off 7.7 points/game

SF: 6th man coming off 6.2 points/game

PF: Returning starter coming off 10.4 points/game

C : Bench player coming off 2.9 points/game

If this was a team not named North Texas coming into next season with a lightly recruited JUCO PG and the other four starters coming off of 27.2 points/game combined, would we be looking at that as a top end CUSA starting lineup on paper? I like the way the team is shaping up with 3 spots left to use, but it’s hard to say that is currently a top-end CUSA starting lineup without personal biases.

I am not sure Perry is lighted reguaded after the JUCO championships.   My guess is his stock went way up.

Of course, you are right the team above would be picked to be a middle of the pack CUSA team.   However, that doesn't matter because McCasland has 3 or more ships to give and this squad will look a lot better.

I have no idea where this kid will land, but I would go all in on Texas Tech reserve transfer, Tyreek Smith 6-9. Would be a Geu 2.0. Local kid that played at Trinity Christian - Cedar Hill about 2 years ago. Initially signed with Texas A&M. Got into a few games for Tech but would move immediately into this starting lineup.

Longshots:

Tristan Clark, Baylor transfer may have given up the game due to leg issues but he is in the portal. Played 1 season with J. Jackson at SA Wagner. I think he was POY in Texas during his senior year, after winning the 6A title. Actually started for Baylor prior to his injuries.

Jacob Young, formerly of UT and Rutgers. 5th year senior that only scored about 6 ppg. Would be the best Reese replacement. Houston Yates product. 

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 3