UNT Signee Willie Simmons reported as victim in Austin shooting

ADLER

Just now, MGNation92 said:

Such a tragic event. My heart goes out to the family and community.

Without sounding too heartless, as I'm genuinely curious, what happens to his scholarship? I'm not sure I've ever heard of this situation before, so I'm not sure what the procedures would be.

A Signed LOI is a contract, right? Then I imagine it is void and non-existent when one party passes.

We have that schollie back to offer someone else.  Maybe SL and Co will do something unique to honor the family of deceased.

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, greenminer said:

A Signed LOI is a contract, right? Then I imagine it is void and non-existent when one party passes.

We have that schollie back to offer someone else.  Maybe SL and Co will do something unique to honor the family of deceased.

As far as the signing class limit goes, I'm fairly sure Willie counts against it.

Regardless, it's all extremely insignificant in light of what has happened.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

8 hours ago, MGNation92 said:

I'm not sure I've ever heard of this situation before.

We've encountered something similar before.

In 1989 Corky had signed Todd Wageman who is probably the greatest player to have ever played for Springtown, Tx. The star running back had piled up over 1300 yards and 18 touchdowns in just 11 games his senior season, earning First Team All-State honors. This speedster was going to be lining up behind star sophomore quarterback Scott Davis. North Texas had been ranked #1 in 1AA during much of the '88 season with wins at Texas Tech, Rice, and the infamous UT officiating debacle.  Anticipation and expectations were high in Denton.

Tragically, Todd was killed in a car accident early in the morning of April 9, 1989.

These tragic events within our North Texas family weigh heavily. Like with Willie Simmons, the loss of life of anybody so young is terrible, and that they were indoctrinated into our North Texas family makes the loss seem so much more personal.  

• Upvote 3