NCAA looks ready to pass the one-time no sit transfer rule

El Paso Eagle

Will the "No Sit" transfer rule help or hurt G5's/North Texas?  

45 members have voted

1. 1. Will this offer a benefit or easier way for top players to move?

• Will hurt as players will be quicker to leave
    • Overall should even out as we can add transfers
    • Will benefit North Texas and G5 schools

10 minutes ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

So these (seemedly) not well thought out new ideas are what we get from the NCAA offices when they are trying to make work to justify their jobs?  
They sound  & function more like government bureaucrats every passing day. 

The NCAA looks like it is trying to appease P5s and players in hope of hanging on and not giving the P5s the "last straw' they are looking for to form their own league. College sports at the top levels stopped being amature sports a long time ago. I think once enough of the P5 college presidents are willing to publicly admit that these are semi-pro programs attached to a school and that they are athlete-students in as far as making money for the schools the P5 will break off in some form.  

23 hours ago, BillySee58 said:

Agreed. I think something really adding to the fear here is this happening at the same time as all of the senior class getting an extra year of eligibility. We have an entire extra class of student-athletes retaining eligibility who normally would be on their way out making room for HS athletes and JUCOs. That’s creating an overflow of athletes available for essentially the same amount of roster spots.

Would Jalen Jackson and Mykell Robinson be transferring if Thomas Bell, JJ Murray, and Jahmiah Simmons had vacated their spot on the roster like they would have in a normal year? Not sure, but it’s happening all across the country and it’s necessitating transfers if teams want to keep their guys, or other teams’ seniors.

As long as P5 schools don’t get to raise their scholarship limit, it will all even out.

From ESPN

Combine the number of transfers with the NCAA's decision to give athletes in all sports a free year of eligibility because of the pandemic and there is little doubt that there will be more scholarship-worthy major college football players than available scholarships over the next few seasons.

Coaches have already begun lobbying for relief in the form of increasing either the yearly cap of 25 signees or the overall roster cap of 85 scholarship players. Mack Brown is among those who have mentioned allowing programs to add a transfer if they lose a transfer.

Edited by El Paso Eagle

if you look at the past 25 years of North Texas football, how many players have we had that would transfer "up" because they knew they could start at a P5?

Booger? 

anyone else? I would argue that Rico Bussey was as talented as anyone we've had here for the past 15 years, and he only transferred to Hawaii...

Guyton Transferred here, so that means he would have to sit to transfer again, same with Trice... 

Robertson, Orr, Lance, Wilson were all outstanding players for us... but i doubt any P5 recruiting them could guarantee them a starting spot...

• Confused 1

30 minutes ago, golfingomez said:

if you look at the past 25 years of North Texas football, how many players have we had that would transfer "up" because they knew they could start at a P5?

Booger? 

anyone else? I would argue that Rico Bussey was as talented as anyone we've had here for the past 15 years, and he only transferred to Hawaii...

Guyton Transferred here, so that means he would have to sit to transfer again, same with Trice... 

Robertson, Orr, Lance, Wilson were all outstanding players for us... but i doubt any P5 recruiting them could guarantee them a starting spot...

I think the key for the P5s is the player not having to sit. Might be worth it to provide depth and start if needed.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, golfingomez said:

Guyton transferred from a junior college so he could’ve transferred from us without sitting out a year under the current rules. That being said, I doubt he would have since he just chose to go pro instead.

• Upvote 1

On 4/19/2021 at 1:03 PM, golfingomez said:

Booger? 

You forgot about Kansas.

• Upvote 1