NCAA looks ready to pass the one-time no sit transfer rule

El Paso Eagle

Will the "No Sit" transfer rule help or hurt G5's/North Texas?  

45 members have voted

1. 1. Will this offer a benefit or easier way for top players to move?

• Will hurt as players will be quicker to leave
    • Overall should even out as we can add transfers
    • Will benefit North Texas and G5 schools

I dont think this will be good for anyone except for the perennial top 25 teams. The best G5 and FCS players will get poached more easily because the disincentive has been removed. The headache prima donna bench players from those top 25 teams will jump to G5 teams without having to sit. I see it as a net negative for the teams not traditionally seen as elite around the country. It is essentially free agency without a salary cap. Gonna have about 25 NY Yankees and nearly a hundred Milwaukee Brewers.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

I dont think this will be good for anyone except for the perennial top 25 teams. The best G5 and FCS players will get poached more easily because the disincentive has been removed. The headache prima donna bench players from those top 25 teams will jump to G5 teams without having to sit. I see it as a net negative for the teams not traditionally seen as elite around the country. It is essentially free agency without a salary cap. Gonna have about 25 NY Yankees and nearly a hundred Milwaukee Brewers.

In agreement. I think you will see P5 team using this to fill holes. Hopefully we find a way to use this to our advantage. Adding this and the upcoming ability to pay for players (NIL), big $$ schools will feast.

• Upvote 1

i was coming here to post this. i think it's good and bad, it'll make kids feel less bad/nervous about potentially picking the wrong school. On the flip side, any time you encourage transferring, it makes it harder to finish a degree because of non-transferrable coursework/different degree plans

• Upvote 3

30 minutes ago, emmitt01 said:

“P5” schools will use this to turn the lower level schools into a D-League.  

Watch CUSA/MAC/AAC/Belt games, figure out who can play, and recruit them that off-season.  

@emmitt01Great point. The G5 schools that take the time and chances on players to develop them will be screwed.  If a G5 player tears it up you can bet the will be recruited.

This will mainly affect schools that lose their coach or or will lose their coach.

Have we had a sophomore or Junior who was good enough to go to a good p5?

I feel freshman who wanted to leave left anyway before this. Seniors and some Juniors could grad transfer. So that leaves sophomores and juniors.

I feel this will benefit G5s. Redshirt sophomores and juniors at power schools not getting PT or the love they were getting when they signed will be recruited heavily.

• Upvote 1

For all of you concerned that the good mid-major players are going to be poached be the high majors...  2 things:
1. Those spots will often-times be opened by guys who are transferring out (likely "down" to mid-majors), and High School/JUCO players not getting signed by those high majors in their place, which opens up some more HS/JUCO options.
2. This will also work for DII studs wanting to move up to D1.

It works both ways.  It's not just going to hurt the mid-majors.

• Skeptical Eagle 2

4 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

For all of you concerned that the good mid-major players are going to be poached be the high majors...  2 things:
1. Those spots will often-times be opened by guys who are transferring out (likely "down" to mid-majors), and High School/JUCO players not getting signed by those high majors in their place, which opens up some more HS/JUCO options.
2. This will also work for DII studs wanting to move up to D1.

It works both ways.  It's not just going to hurt the mid-majors.

Agreed. I think something really adding to the fear here is this happening at the same time as all of the senior class getting an extra year of eligibility. We have an entire extra class of student-athletes retaining eligibility who normally would be on their way out making room for HS athletes and JUCOs. That’s creating an overflow of athletes available for essentially the same amount of roster spots.

Would Jalen Jackson and Mykell Robinson be transferring if Thomas Bell, JJ Murray, and Jahmiah Simmons had vacated their spot on the roster like they would have in a normal year? Not sure, but it’s happening all across the country and it’s necessitating transfers if teams want to keep their guys, or other teams’ seniors.

As long as P5 schools don’t get to raise their scholarship limit, it will all even out.

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1

1 hour ago, BillySee58 said:

Agreed. I think something really adding to the fear here is this happening at the same time as all of the senior class getting an extra year of eligibility. We have an entire extra class of student-athletes retaining eligibility who normally would be on their way out making room for HS athletes and JUCOs. That’s creating an overflow of athletes available for essentially the same amount of roster spots.

Would Jalen Jackson and Mykell Robinson be transferring if Thomas Bell, JJ Murray, and Jahmiah Simmons had vacated their spot on the roster like they would have in a normal year? Not sure, but it’s happening all across the country and it’s necessitating transfers if teams want to keep their guys, or other teams’ seniors.

As long as P5 schools don’t get to raise their scholarship limit, it will all even out.

Transferring by itself might not change that much, but combine it with the NIL and it is opening up a lot of opportunities to recruit and bid on players. 

I think for G5 schools you will see a lot of Jr/Sr players from P5 schools become available. As the P5's bring in the new talent, they will be forced to play younger players out of concern they will easily transfer out if they don't play. As the younger players take the time, older players might be looking to move on. 

• Upvote 2

I mean it’s not surprising at all. College football only wants the same 20 teams to basically dominate the sport as it has got 60 years. The next 46 want to hang on for money and staying on top of those beneath them, which Is the next 65 schools, who are in this world of limbo, where they are funded way more than the FCS but are well below the P5s. 

The money and prestige will remain with the rich and powerful. One thing that might surprise these P5 giants though is that HS players that would normally go to UT, A&M, OU, etc...may find those spots taken by the top players at the G5’s instead. It’s not out of the question to see HS kids going G5 more than now. And getting a contributing kid to leave is not always going to be simple. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, meangreen11 said:

And some seem giddy that he left us at the alter similar to Mo.

What lesson is this teaching these guys?  When the going gets tough bail and head to greener pastures?  What about loyalty?

Lost me here.  Who are you talking about?

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, BillySee58 said:

Oh, this would be a catastrophe.   I mean, even if Mid-majors could increase their limits as well, it would still be bad.   

I think FBS football having 85 scholarships is too many.   Knocking that number down would really open up recruiting opportunities for G5 schools.

8 minutes ago, southsideguy said:

So the big boys tell players to go to a G-5 develop in the first two years and we will give u call when it time to come up? 

G5 the new developmental league for P5? Hope not, but it will be interesting to see what happens. There will still be options for G5s to pick up good players in the transfer portal, maybe even more options if a player coming up on his Jr/Sr season knows he can transfer without sitting. It will be more important than ever to have a good "transfer recruiting" program to know which transfers can contribute. SMU has shown what a difference transfers can make if you use the transfer process well.

If I am a coach I wonder how I might react. A number of coaches might try to take transfers after their first year rather than HS recruits (transfers with 3/4 or 4/4 of eligibility), and develop those rather than HS recruits, just because those will not be able to leave like the HS recruits, because they already did their one free transfer.

Potentially also makes it less important to be in thick with the HS coaches.

Edited by outoftown

11 minutes ago, outoftown said:

If I am a coach I wonder how I might react. A number of coaches might try to take transfers after their first year rather than HS recruits (transfers with 3/4 or 4/4 of eligibility), and develop those rather than HS recruits, just because those will not be able to leave like the HS recruits, because they already did their one free transfer.

Potentially also makes it less important to be in thick with the HS coaches.

It might make it more important than ever to stay thick with HS coaches. Have heard comments where one of the most common ways for other schools to "reach out" to a player who they think might be transferring, or not happy where he's at is for the new school to "mention" it to their HS coaches. Let them know that the player would be welcomed at their school.

Also will be more important than ever for schools like UNT to keep in touch with players who showed interest and then commited to larger programs. Never know when they might be looking again.