Old Transfer News?

DeepGreen

Read this in the Austin American Statesman this morning.  Old news? -   BTW, is it OK to cut and paste as long as you show the source, etc.?  Or, did I just pull a no no?

Ralph D. Russo ASSOCIATED PRESS

Whether it is the start of free agency in college sports or simply the fair thing to finally do for the athletes, the NCAA is about to make a monumental change to its transfer rules.

The Division I Council meets Wednesday and Thursday, and the agenda includes voting on a proposal that would grant all college athletes the ability to transfer one time as undergraduates without having to then sit out a season of competition.

All indications are the proposal will pass. When it does, athletes in football, men’s and women’s basketball, baseball and men’s ice hockey will for the first time be immediately eligible to play after switching schools without asking for special permission.

• Upvote 3

boo, so university invest in a player and bang he is gone.  As a fan it may not be good   I can see both sides of it player and the school.  I am really not sure who the winner is in this?   I know the deck shuffling will continue and how long before a school gets caught recruiting at other universities.   I am not sure which school it will be but I bet it happens in the SEC.

• 2 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, GrayEagle said:

I can see that going one way...benefitting the P5s.  They can cherry pick the best from the Gs and reap the rewards.  The best that we can do is get a pretty decent player who isn't getting any/enough playing time.

And if you land said decent player, if he blows up guess what he's heading to the portal to get a better deal.  Meantime through the whole process you have P5 whispering in his ear - even though it is supposedly against the NCAA rules - how in the heck can you enforce it with electronic media etc., much less during a world wide pandemic.

The only saving grace is it is not just us is applies to you guessed it lower P5's albeit not in the same conferences typically.