Will Be Interesting to Track the Reaction to This Announcement

9 minutes ago, GrayEagle said:

Which way?  I think that it's grossly unfair for a biological male to compete with biological females.

It is unfair.  But eventually the competitions will evolve for better or worse.  

Edited by LongJim
  • Confused 2
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

2 hours ago, LongJim said:

It is unfair.  But eventually the competitions will evolve for better or worse.  

I wonder if it’ll morph into traditional men’s and women’s divisions with a 3rd open catch-all division to allow anyone to compete regardless of where they started and where they ended up between male and female.

• Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 1

2 hours ago, GrayEagle said:

Which way?  I think that it's grossly unfair for a biological male to compete with biological females.

In some places in the world, there are some women who can compete and even dominate some of the male athletes in this part of the world. However, people don't always stay in the same place, and some of those women could probably be found in the city where I live. If a woman could make UNT competitive at the highest level of football by becoming the first female quarterback in college football, would any of us here care about her gender after she proved herself on the field?

• Upvote 3
  • RV 1
  • Confused 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 3

10 hours ago, eulessismore said:

In some places in the world, there are some women who can compete and even dominate some of the male athletes in this part of the world. However, people don't always stay in the same place, and some of those women could probably be found in the city where I live. If a woman could make UNT competitive at the highest level of football by becoming the first female quarterback in college football, would any of us here care about her gender after she proved herself on the field?

This hypothetical woman would be rarer than Babe Didrikson Zaharias.

• Upvote 3

13 hours ago, eulessismore said:

Then do away with mens and womens sports and let the best athlete(s) compete regardless of sport. If a woman, or whatever, can compete with men, more power to them.

However, if I have a daughter or granddaughter competing in sports, I say hell no! Might as well do away with womens sports altogether.

Ridiculous.

• Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 2
  • Ray 1
  • Downvote 2

20 hours ago, eulessismore said:

Probably not but would we be impressed by male who thinks he is a girl hitting a homer in women's softball?

• Upvote 2

On 4/13/2021 at 10:41 PM, eulessismore said:

I don't think we're really talking about football since the precedent has already been set. I think the issue is more about a guy who can't make it as a shot putter suddenly deciding to compete in the women's division. Or a 6'2 male competing in the women's 200m hurdles. 

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Rudy said:

I don't think we're really talking about football since the precedent has already been set. I think the issue is more about a guy who can't make it as a shot putter suddenly deciding to compete in the women's division. Or a 6'2 male competing in the women's 200m hurdles. 

These are good points, and thanks for correcting the omission of the football precedent. I do think the fact of some sports being, by their very name "women's", poses the greatest issue. I honestly would watch womens softball in preference to the generally all male baseball, and would hate the see the essence of it changed due to issues around gender preference. That is my personal feeling however, and I think a lot of this will be resolved on a sport by sport basis.

• Upvote 2

On 4/14/2021 at 7:23 PM, southsideguy said:

Probably not but would we be impressed by male who thinks he is a girl hitting a homer in women's softball?

I would think so, have you ever seen a women's softball game? Hell we just had a pitcher that struck out every batter ala Steve Nebraska. 

• Haha 1

On 4/14/2021 at 7:23 PM, southsideguy said:

I sure would be. As a once overly cocky high school baseball player who learned the hard way, I promise you, that rising heater is something entirely different! 😂

• Eye Roll 1

On 4/16/2021 at 8:59 PM, Rudy said:

Set yes, but are we close to a woman who will be a legitimate contributor to a mens football team? The truth is that women/girls will stand to lose out on this if it becomes more common. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Set yes, but are we close to a woman who will be a legitimate contributor to a mens football team? The truth is that women/girls will stand to lose out on this if it becomes more common. 

I agree 100%.  As someone who coached women's football when they started a women's full contact league, in the early '00's, yeah, women will be the ones who are hurt from this.  I was just saying that there is the precedent now, of women kicking in college ball, and there are girls playing quarterback at the high school levels.  

• Eye Roll 4

Transgenders represent about 0.7% of age group including both sexes.  It is a very small percentage.  The Olympics have had rules for  transgender competitors for a number of years.    So far, no transgender athletes have made it to the Olympics. I think we make much more of this than it is an actual issue.

• Upvote 4

On 4/16/2021 at 9:59 PM, Rudy said:

Yep. That's why someone decides to transition. They want to win at shotput in high school.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 2
  • Downvote 3

8 hours ago, ColoradoEagle said:

Yep. That's why someone decides to transition. They want to win at shotput in high school.

Exactly what I'm thinking. Who the hell would go through a multi-year process of transitioning your gender and flipping your entire life.... to just play the same sport and maybe win more? They'll be on estrogen too which will affect their muscle mass and physique. This is such a non-issue that I can't believe people are talking seriously about it. 

• Thanks 2
  • Downvote 4

On 4/23/2021 at 9:45 AM, Graddean said:

Transgenders represent about 0.7% of age group including both sexes.  It is a very small percentage.  The Olympics have had rules for  transgender competitors for a number of years.    So far, no transgender athletes have made it to the Olympics. I think we make much more of this than it is an actual issue.

But it clearly will be at some point.  It may only be .7% of the total population (I'm shocked it's even that high), but we are talking about a tiny tiny subset of athletes who are good enough for college or olympic competition, so the percentage of biological males will certainly be much much higher in that group given their physical advantages.

Edited by MeanGreenTeeth
  • Eye Roll 1