Roster Breakdown by Tournament Minutes

BillySee58

1 hour ago, BillySee58 said:

I broke down the minutes played from the CUSA and NCAA tournament games. Here is how much everyone played:

Hamlet - 242 minutes

Reese - 217 minutes

Bell - 211 minutes

McBride - 209 minutes

Simmons - 184 minutes

Murray - 125 minutes

Ousmane - 41 minutes 

Robinson - 13 minutes

Jackson - 5 minutes

Lewis - 3 minutes

Jones, J Simmons, Wise - 0 minutes

These were our 13 scholarship players. We basically went 7 deep, and that would have been 8 deep had Rubin Jones been playing. We’re returning 5 of our 8 players from our actual rotation.

Basically the guys leaving here lately have been the end of the bench guys who did not make the cut on our rotation when it got condensed for tournament play. Robinson, Jackson, and Lewis were at the end of our bench, not really in the rotation.

We have 5 rotation players coming back, 3 freshmen coming in, Jahmiah Simmons currently returning, and 4 spots left to find other experienced transfers to fill in our rotation. I know people on here don’t like seeing turnover but if we make these last 4 spots count we should be deeper than we were last year with all of our end of the bench guys gone.

It would be what the sixth year for J. Simmons and Murray.  Simmons came with McCasland from Ark St., but loyalty should have it's limit   He plays super hard, but in truth at 6'4 and no outside shot was a liability on both ends of the court.   Murray is a good guard defender and a role model, but does not have any offensive game.   He has not demonstrated an outside shoot and seldom even attempts a layup giving the opening. 

NT has currently 4 other lettermen coming back in Bell, McBride, Osmane and Jones.

NT has signed two high schoolers and has a commitment for another.   McCasland has at least 4 more ships to give and maybe up to six.  

I think whether NT retains Murray and Simmons is more a question of sentiment than can he get better players.  There are a lot of better players in the transfer portal.   Mac may think it is more important for team chemistry to return these two.   

Edited by GrandGreen
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

7 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

Thank you. Yeah he was the last one Mccasland was comfortable with giving legitimate minutes to. Would’ve been 8 had Jones been active.

He played well and gave us quality minutes against Purdue.  I am excited to see him develop as I believe he has a a tremendous upside.

• Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

It would be what the sixth year for J. Simmons and Murray.  Simmons came with McCasland from Ark St., but loyalty should have it's limit   He plays super hard, but in truth at 6'4 and no outside shot was a liability on both ends of the court.   Murray is a good guard defender and a role model, but does not have any offensive game.   He has not demonstrated an outside shoot and seldom even attempts a layup giving the opening. 

NT has currently 4 other lettermen coming back in Bell, McBride, Osmane and Jones.

NT has signed two high schoolers and has a commitment for another.   McCasland has at least 4 more ships to give and maybe up to six.  

I think whether NT retains Murray and Simmons is more a question of sentiment than can he get better players.  There are a lot of better players in the transfer portal.   Mac may think it is more important for team chemistry to return these two.   

Murray is coming back. He and the team announced that.

I agree on Jahmiah Simmons but Mccasland seems really loyal and Jahmiah doesn’t seem to care that much about looking for more playing time either. I would expect him to come back until we hear that he isn’t.

Also, I’ve said this before but I like the idea of having some seniors on this roster. Otherwise we won’t have open spots to use on 2022 HS recruits, and we should be able to attract some really high-profile HS recruits given the current momentum of the program and being able to pitch a tournament win for the first time.

Use these four spots on quality players and we’ll be fine. 4 good transfers, 2 returning starters, 3 other rotation bench players, and some promising freshmen would be plenty. 

2 hours ago, BillySee58 said:

Murray is coming back. He and the team announced that.

I agree on Jahmiah Simmons but Mccasland seems really loyal and Jahmiah doesn’t seem to care that much about looking for more playing time either. I would expect him to come back until we hear that he isn’t.

Also, I’ve said this before but I like the idea of having some seniors on this roster. Otherwise we won’t have open spots to use on 2022 HS recruits, and we should be able to attract some really high-profile HS recruits given the current momentum of the program and being able to pitch a tournament win for the first time.

Use these four spots on quality players and we’ll be fine. 4 good transfers, 2 returning starters, 3 other rotation bench players, and some promising freshmen would be plenty. 

Thanks, Murray coming back is probably a good thing    I just hope that he doesn't come anywhere close to getting the minutes he did last season.  

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

8 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

Thanks, Murray coming back is probably a good thing    I just hope that he doesn't come anywhere close to getting the minutes he did last season.  

In 2019 after the season we had 4 spots left to give and we identified 4 guys we really wanted. That was Javion Hamlet, James Reese, Deng Geu, and Thomas Bell. Those were the 4 we brought on for visits and we landed them all.

It’s hard to replicate a haul that successful, but I expect Mccasland to make the spots count like then. With the last four spots I’d like to see a starting PG, a combo guard, a forward who can play the 4 and shoot, and a center to push Ousmane for the starting job. Here’s what the lineup would look like if we landed a haul like that of good transfers (D1 or JUCO).

PG - Transfer PG

SG - JR Mardrez McBride

SF - FR Rubin Jones

PF - SR Thomas Bell

C - Transfer C

6 - Transfer combo guard

7 - Transfer forward

8 - FR Abou Ousmane

9 - SR SG JJ Murray

10 - FR SF Matthew Stone

11 - FR SF Aaron Scott

12 - SR PF Jahmiah Simmons

13 - FR C Chrisdon Morgan (redshirt)

I fully expect Matthew Stone to be able to come in and play solid rotation minutes as a 3 and D wing. If Scott can play too we have a chance to be 11 deep if we want to be.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

In 2019 after the season we had 4 spots left to give and we identified 4 guys we really wanted. That was Javion Hamlet, James Reese, Deng Geu, and Thomas Bell. Those were the 4 we brought on for visits and we landed them all.

It’s hard to replicate a haul that successful, but I expect Mccasland to make the spots count like then. With the last four spots I’d like to see a starting PG, a combo guard, a forward who can play the 4 and shoot, and a center to push Ousmane for the starting job. Here’s what the lineup would look like if we landed a haul like that of good transfers (D1 or JUCO).

PG - Transfer PG

SG - JR Mardrez McBride

SF - FR Rubin Jones

PF - SR Thomas Bell

C - Transfer C

6 - Transfer combo guard

7 - Transfer forward

8 - FR Abou Ousmane

9 - SR SG JJ Murray

10 - FR SF Matthew Stone

11 - FR SF Aaron Scott

12 - SR PF Jahmiah Simmons

13 - FR C Chrisdon Morgan (redshirt)

I fully expect Matthew Stone to be able to come in and play solid rotation minutes as a 3 and D wing. If Scott can play too we have a chance to be 11 deep if we want to be.

Rubin isn’t a forward. Primary ball handler in my opinion 

• Downvote 2

35 minutes ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

Rubin isn’t a forward. Primary ball handler in my opinion 

I put the lineup in the old terms that people are familiar with, but that “3” spot is a guard in this system rather than a forward. Jones fits there because he’s taller than McBride and matches better height wise with other teams 3s on the defensive end.

Jones could start at the 3 and be the backup point guard at the same time, but I also think we need one more guy who can handle the ball, which is why I included us adding a combo guard.

In conference play Jones shot just 33% from INSIDE the arc, and 35% there for the season. He has the passing and ball handling ability to be a primary, but he struggled greatly at creating his own shot which is a big part of the position. He shot well off the ball with catch and shoot 3s, but when he had the ball in his hands he struggled at creating his own shot.

If Jones is going to be a full-time PG he needs to improve vastly in that area. Hamlet is a great player to learn from in that he could score and create his own shot with the ball in his hands from all 3 levels. 

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 2

I put the lineup in the old terms that people are familiar with, but that “3” spot is a guard in this system rather than a forward. Jones fits there because he’s taller than McBride and matches better height wise with other teams 3s on the defensive end.

Jones could start at the 3 and be the backup point guard at the same time, but I also think we need one more guy who can handle the ball, which is why I included us adding a combo guard.

In conference play Jones shot just 33% from INSIDE the arc, and 35% there for the season. He has the passing and ball handling ability to be a primary, but he struggled greatly at creating his own shot which is a big part of the position. He shot well off the ball with catch and shoot 3s, but when he had the ball in his hands he struggled at creating his own shot.

If Jones is going to be a full-time PG he needs to improve vastly in that area. Hamlet is a great player to learn from in that he could score and create his own shot with the ball in his hands from all 3 levels. 

Well let’s not forget he was a freshman coming from a high paced High school, to a slow paced D1 university going against top tier teams.

He got a full year to see what Javion could do, and most likely learned a lot. Why go after a transfer PG when you have the one right there with a year under his belt. 
Jones is not hesitant to drive, take the shot, move the ball from half and full court pressure.

He is well equipped for the job, and has a good chance to be the next Javion.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

44 minutes ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

Well let’s not forget he was a freshman coming from a high paced High school, to a slow paced D1 university going against top tier teams.

He got a full year to see what Javion could do, and most likely learned a lot. Why go after a transfer PG when you have the one right there with a year under his belt. 
Jones is not hesitant to drive, take the shot, move the ball from half and full court pressure.

He is well equipped for the job, and has a good chance to be the next Javion.

We need at least one other PG on the roster, and you can still start Jones. We just lost our primary PG and have 4 scholarships left. Of course we’re going to get at least one PG with those spots, possibly two guys who can handle the ball and initiate the offense. If Jones can beat them out, great.

Otherwise he’s a guy who showed to be capable of being a primary ball handler but was far more effective off the ball. We’re not just going to give that guy the reins without exploring the external options.

Edited by BillySee58
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

We need at least one other PG on the roster, and you can still start Jones. We just lost our primary PG and have 4 scholarships left. Of course we’re going to get at least one PG with those spots, possibly two guys who can handle the ball and initiate the offense. If Jones can beat them out, great.

Otherwise he’s a guy who showed to be capable of being a primary ball handler but was far more effective off the ball. We’re not just going to give that guy the reins without exploring the external options.

Now with 5 open, who do we go after?

• Downvote 1