Mykell Robinson enters the portal

3 hours ago, Andrew said:

They played on the same AAU team and have been close for a long time. Of course they have been paired together and played on the court together. You can find some of the game tapes on YouTube. 

I misunderstood your comment. I was thinking of this past season. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • RV 1
  • Downvote 1

3 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

I misunderstood your comment. I was thinking of this past season. 

Yeah,  but now it has my thoughts going on what if. Sure we can probably find a replacement, but I was excited to see what the freshman duo could do next year. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I think Murray gives everything he has on the court.  The problem is not really D1 level player.  If you watched the other teams they did not worry about his offense at all.  They let him run free and on defense he always seems to be one step slower than the guy he is covering.  If Mac really wants to go to the sweet 16 or higher he needs to find stronger players that can come off the bench and help on offense as well as defense.

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 2

4 hours ago, MCMLXXX said:

You go where you are wanted. 

19 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

What school is that?

Dodge City CC, a juco in Kansas

I thought we wanted him here.  A championship program in Denton which he chose over Wyoming and MN.  Now he's left us and going to some JUCO in KS.  I thought we wanted him here, but now I'm reading between the lines that maybe we pushed him out the door?

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 2
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, greenminer said:

Dodge City CC, a juco in Kansas

I thought we wanted him here.  A championship program in Denton which he chose over Wyoming and MN.  Now he's left us and going to some JUCO in KS.  I thought we wanted him here, but now I'm reading between the lines that maybe we pushed him out the door?

With the losses of all these young guys who are very talented, it almost seems like maybe coach McCasland is asking a specific "test"-type question during exit interviews to see how committed the guys are or something.   And if the player doesn't give the right answer, he ushers them along.   

Because even if a Freshman doesn't play heavy minutes right away, these guys could still see a ton of minutes in the coming years.  Especially Jackson at PG now that Hamlet is gone, and Robinson at Swing/Forward (especially after Bell leaves).

• Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

With the losses of all these young guys who are very talented, it almost seems like maybe coach McCasland is asking a specific "test"-type question during exit interviews to see how committed the guys are or something.   And if the player doesn't give the right answer, he ushers them along.   

Because even if a Freshman doesn't play heavy minutes right away, these guys could still see a ton of minutes in the coming years.  Especially Jackson at PG now that Hamlet is gone, and Robinson at Swing/Forward (especially after Bell leaves).

No disrespect intended, but I think we saw enough of Jackson the last couple of years to know that he wasn't going to take Hamlet's place.  On the other hand, Robinson intrigued me.  I had the thought that maybe Mac placed him at the JUCO to get some PT under his belt, but now I am reading that Mac may have shown him the door?  Where did that rumor start?

• Downvote 2

Just now, UNTLifer said:

No disrespect intended, but I think we saw enough of Jackson the last couple of years to know that he wasn't going to take Hamlet's place.  On the other hand, Robinson intrigued me.  I had the thought that maybe Mac placed him at the JUCO to get some PT under his belt, but now I am reading that Mac may have shown him the door?  Where did that rumor start?

I'm not saying Jackson was going to "take Hamlet's place".   Hamlet is a top 5 player I've seen come through NT since I've been following.   You don't just reload a guy like that unless you're incredibly lucky.  But he could definitely run the point effectively.

And you don't ever give up a scholarship to go JUCO, only to return to the original school.   When have you ever seen that happen?  That's way too much risk.  If you're betting on yourself at a JUCO instead of betting on yourself at the school you're already with, you want to move on.

"Placing" players at a JUCO was an old practice and typically done with HS players coaches thought could benefit from the PT.  The most famous for us was Spud Webb, who Blakely placed at Odessa College.  The dumbass Tommy Newman, that followed Blakely, didn't want Webb and the rest is history.  Webb went to NC State and the NBA, Newman went 24-60 from '83 to '86 and then back to high school.

newman GIF

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 5
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

13 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

McCasland stated he is going for a national championship, and you don't do that by developing players to contribute years down the road.   

I think it is obvious, that McCasland believes he can recruit players that can start right now and that are already better than whatever ceiling Robinson has. 

Most of us have no idea what Robinson's potential is, but the guy who is coaching him seems to believe he i.can do better. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, GrandGreen said:

McCasland stated he is going for a national championship, and you don't do that by developing players to contribute years down the road.   

I think it is obvious, that McCasland believes he can recruit players that can start right now and that are already better than whatever ceiling Robinson has. 

Most of us have no idea what Robinson's potential is, but the guy who is coaching him seems to believe he i.can do better. 

Problem is, McCasland recruited Robinson.   So you’re saying he either can’t identify HS talent that can contribute at his desired level (seeing as he’s run off all but 3 of his HS signees... and 1 of those 3 left on his own while another one was committed under Benford), or he shouldn’t even be recruiting HS guys at all if he’s looking for instant contributors, yet he keeps doing it.

Which is it?

• Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 1

16 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Problem is, McCasland recruited Robinson.   So you’re saying he either can’t identify HS talent that can contribute at his desired level (seeing as he’s run off all but 3 of his HS signees... and 1 of those 3 left on his own while another one was committed under Benford), or he shouldn’t even be recruiting HS guys at all if he’s looking for instant contributors, yet he keeps doing it.

Which is it?

Very simplistic view.  All coaches make recruiting mistakes.  You really think that a coach should stay with a player just because he recruited him.  

Again look at the turnover at other schools, coaches are paid big money to win.   

You would be happier if Jackson, Wise, Tikhonenko, Lewis, Mohamed, and Alcindor were still on the team.?  

It also should be considered that this in all likelihood will benefit the players that should be able to find a place that they can play.   In Robinson's case, a year or two of juco ball maybe just what he needs.   

Find me examples of successful basketball programs or any CUSA teams that don't churn players.

• Downvote 2