Mykell Robinson enters the portal

Tough to see this one because he really seemed like a good fit for what Mccasland wants out of that stretch 4. Always worry a little about true freshman transferring when they don’t play much. Good news is he probably isn’t all that difficult to replace with a better player, especially next season. Also probably a sign Jahmiah Simmons is staying.

• Upvote 3
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

1 hour ago, greenminer said:

If you're like me and try to read between the lines, you consider maybe - just maybe - they flat out were not good enough.

Oh.... and who is going to be better? This is the same old excuse every time a player leaves. So your saying we have just always had poor recruiting... Assuming all seniors who haven’t currently made a statement leave we have Jones, Thomas, McBride, and Osume returning. That’s it. 4 players from a team that can hold up to 15. 4.... unless I missed something on Murray. 

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 6

16 minutes ago, Andrew said:

Oh.... and who is going to be better? This is the same old excuse every time a player leaves. So your saying we have just always had poor recruiting...

*You’re. And without speaking for Miner, Robinson definitely wasn’t a poor recruit but we also got him before we won a tournament game. Winning a tournament game should open up the door to even more highly regarded recruits than we were able to then.

16 minutes ago, Andrew said:

Assuming all seniors who haven’t currently made a statement leave we have Jones, Thomas, McBride, and Osume returning. That’s it. 4 players from a team that can hold up to 15. 4.... unless I missed something on Murray. 

It’s Ousmane. Ousmane. Come on, not that hard. Keep seeing Osume or something else really not all that close. And yes, JJ Murray did announce he’s coming back.

• Upvote 6

39 minutes ago, Andrew said:

Oh.... and who is going to be better? This is the same old excuse every time a player leaves. So your saying we have just always had poor recruiting... Assuming all seniors who haven’t currently made a statement leave we have Jones, Thomas, McBride, and Osume returning. That’s it. 4 players from a team that can hold up to 15. 4.... unless I missed something on Murray. 

I guess we will have to see, won't we.

Robinson had one great dunk during the season, he was not played for a reason.  NT had basically no bench once Jones was injured.  

I think if McCasland had better options, he would not have played Murray most of the year as the sixth man.  

Personally I think that this could be a very good sign.   McCasland is thinning the ranks because he is going to bring any better players. 

By the way, the ship limit is 13, with as many walk ons as you want.

• Upvote 3

9 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

I guess we will have to see, won't we.

Robinson had one great dunk during the season, he was not played for a reason.  NT had basically no bench once Jones was injured.  

I think if McCasland had better options, he would not have played Murray most of the year as the sixth man.  

Personally I think that this could be a very good sign.   McCasland is thinning the ranks because he is going to bring any better players. 

By the way, the ship limit is 13, with as many walk ons as you want.

I’m all ears waiting for the transfers to come in, but currently we are in a very awkward spot. Robison and Jones paired together looked like a bright future. How many young guys have we run off. Just this season Jackson, Wise, and now Robinson. I understand some of them are stand out players; however you need guys who sit on the bench and come in during garbage minutes. You also need young guys who stick around a few years and become rotational players.

Maybe Mcasland has something up his sleeve but I’m hoping he pulls it out soon. I loved hearing Bell was coming back but now I wonder if all these departures away his decision. Probably not, but it’s interesting none the less.

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 5

36 minutes ago, Andrew said:

I’m all ears waiting for the transfers to come in, but currently we are in a very awkward spot. Robison and Jones paired together looked like a bright future. How many young guys have we run off. Just this season Jackson, Wise, and now Robinson. I understand some of them are stand out players; however you need guys who sit on the bench and come in during garbage minutes. You also need young guys who stick around a few years and become rotational players.

Maybe Mcasland has something up his sleeve but I’m hoping he pulls it out soon. I loved hearing Bell was coming back but now I wonder if all these departures away his decision. Probably not, but it’s interesting none the less.

This is a very unusual year: with well over 1,000 kids currently looking for new homes. I actually think it would be a mistake to quickly fill vacant spots. Over the next few weeks and months, some very good basketball players will absolutely get their hearts broken. UNT needs to be there to comfort them. I certainly wouldn't lose any sleep over going into the summer with openings. I think its fair to say that most programs have been impacted. 

This program is not good enough to recruit guys for the bench or garbage minutes. Not sure we have anyone on the roster that would be in Baylor's rotation coming back. Unless a kid like Micah Peavey (Texas Tech) returns our phone call, I'd just hold off.      

• Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Andrew said:

Robison and Jones paired together looked like a bright future. How many young guys have we run off.

How often were they actually paired together?  I can respect your decision, but don't  make things up to make your point.

• Upvote 3
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, Andrew said:

I just felt like your OP that I responded to was a backhanded way of criticizing the way Mac handles the roster.  I agree that you should try and put kids in.  But there are legitimate reasons, like rest and experience, and there are extremely bad ones...like giving minutes just because you don't want a kid to transfer.  Do. you really want a starter to find out that he is losing minutes in favor of a bench guy because your coach is afraid they'll transfer?

With COVID and how uniquely easy it is for players to switch schools, I don't think now is a good time to play this card, what with so many kids choosing to leave...even potentially good ones like Robinson, as Billy said.

Lots of athletes are moving around, yet we are in the best position we have ever been to replace them.  I have my concerns, but prefer to let things shake out.

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 2

10 hours ago, Cooley said:

This is a very unusual year: with well over 1,000 kids currently looking for new homes. I actually think it would be a mistake to quickly fill vacant spots. Over the next few weeks and months, some very good basketball players will absolutely get their hearts broken. UNT needs to be there to comfort them. I certainly wouldn't lose any sleep over going into the summer with openings. I think its fair to say that most programs have been impacted. 

This program is not good enough to recruit guys for the bench or garbage minutes. Not sure we have anyone on the roster that would be in Baylor's rotation coming back. Unless a kid like Micah Peavey (Texas Tech) returns our phone call, I'd just hold off.      

Swipe Up Black Man GIF by Black Prez

12 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

How often were they actually paired together?  I can respect your decision, but don't  make things up to make your point.

They played on the same AAU team and have been close for a long time. Of course they have been paired together and played on the court together. You can find some of the game tapes on YouTube. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

10 hours ago, greenminer said:

I just felt like your OP that I responded to was a backhanded way of criticizing the way Mac handles the roster.  I agree that you should try and put kids in.  But there are legitimate reasons, like rest and experience, and there are extremely bad ones...like giving minutes just because you don't want a kid to transfer.  Do. you really want a starter to find out that he is losing minutes in favor of a bench guy because your coach is afraid they'll transfer?

With COVID and how uniquely easy it is for players to switch schools, I don't think now is a good time to play this card, what with so many kids choosing to leave...even potentially good ones like Robinson, as Billy said.

Lots of athletes are moving around, yet we are in the best position we have ever been to replace them.  I have my concerns, but prefer to let things shake out.

I do agree, but currently it’s ok to feel some hesitation. Mac is a fantastic coach and I’m sure they are working the lines to get the best transfers and recruits possible. Right now we just have a lot of open spots to fill. I would be curious to know how many open spots our fellow conference mates have in comparison. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1