DRC: McCasland points to national title aspirations at celebration event

Please don’t confuse the G5/P5 labels with basketball.  They were originally used for football, i believe to differentiate between those conferences with BCS contracts and those without. Could be wrong about that, but I know they were never meant to be for basketball.

the media has been pretty lazy about that and compounding the problem. It kinda sucks to see it make its way into casual convo on our forum.

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 2

Every time we have a coach who has a little success, there are folks on this board who want to give a massive raise.  It's insane and it has burned us multiple times in the past.   If Grant continues to have success here, we aren't going to be able to keep him from going to a much bigger program in all likelihood regardless of what we pay.  If he flames out, then we are stuck paying him a massive salary.   It make sense to pay him enough so he doesn't jump ship to another mid-major or low tier major school, but otherwise it's only downside to pay him a fortune.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2

On 4/9/2021 at 2:16 PM, Shark84 said:

I would keep his current salary but put in huge incentives that would pay him for accomplishing bigger goals. Round of 32, 16, Elite 8 Final 4, ect.

I like this but I’d kick his base up to $750k and give him incentives of $100k each for the conference season and tourney championships and every NCAA tournament win.so he could double his salary if he hit every incentive.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Cr1028 said:

I like this but I’d kick his base up to $750k and give him incentives of $100k each for the conference season and tourney championships and every NCAA tournament win.so he could double his salary if he hit every incentive.

No way would I raise his base because that raises our buyout. Make the incentives irresistible. He said he wants to win a national championship. Give him a million dollars if he does. And no more money (base) if he doesn’t. 

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

6 minutes ago, 97and03 said:

No way would I raise his base because that raises our buyout. Make the incentives irresistible. He said he wants to win a national championship. Give him a million dollars if he does. And no more money (base) if he doesn’t. 

Agree.  And give him a recruiting budget that will help him find and bring in top players.  They are out there.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

Asking because I don't know, but my observations question this.  Is our recruiting budget that bad or hurting us?  Hamlet came from Florida, McBride from South Carolina, Bell out of Illinois, Osumane from PA, etc...  It appears we are recruiting the U.S. pretty well.