DRC: UNT depth chart projection, 5 key moves the Mean Green could make

Brett Vito

3 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

There's no way Upton Stout doesn't start if he's healthy.    Dude was a lone bright spot on defense for much of the year.

Well Brett has 3 LB's rather than 5 DB's that we'll most likely see. I'd imagine he's the starting slot guy if anything. 

2 hours ago, MGNation92 said:

Well Brett has 3 LB's rather than 5 DB's that we'll most likely see. I'd imagine he's the starting slot guy if anything. 

Stout played on the outside for us, not Nickel.   And he was definitely the only guy who could consistently cover receivers in Man.  Not Whitlock, Not Gaddie, not Cam Johnson....  Stout.   No way he doesn't start, unless he's not healthy.

• Eye Roll 1

1 hour ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Stout played on the outside for us, not Nickel.   And he was definitely the only guy who could consistently cover receivers in Man.  Not Whitlock, Not Gaddie, not Cam Johnson....  Stout.   No way he doesn't start, unless he's not healthy.

Maybe Littrell/Bennett wants more length at CB? I agree he was out best cover guy, but he is small, even compared to a Kemon Hall or Eric Jenkins, two of our recent better sub 6' CB's

18 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

Maybe Littrell/Bennett wants more length at CB? I agree he was out best cover guy, but he is small, even compared to a Kemon Hall or Eric Jenkins, two of our recent better sub 6' CB's

Upton reminds me a lot of Kemon.     And he was only a Freshman.

If Thornton and Davis come in and win both of the starting CB spots, that's one thing.   If the coaches decide on Whitlock and/or Gaddie because of Stout's size, they need to come under heavy scrutiny and I would not be surprised to see Stout hit the portal quickly (as he should).

• Confused 2
  • Eye Roll 1

Not sure that Defensive depth chart is accurate based on PB's new scheme and the spring game reps. 

PB likes playing 2 LB's and a hybrid DE instead of 3 LB's. If you look back at Baylor games and even Arizona State, expect a lot of multiple fronts and packages. The DB's will also be adjusted to fit the team they are playing. Should be exciting.

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, Okiefan said:

Not sure that Defensive depth chart is accurate based on PB's new scheme and the spring game reps. 

PB likes playing 2 LB's and a hybrid DE instead of 3 LB's. If you look back at Baylor games and even Arizona State, expect a lot of multiple fronts and packages. The DB's will also be adjusted to fit the team they are playing. Should be exciting.

I believe (hope) this is something we will see with PB. He will have his base formation(s), but he will adjust based on the opponent and be more willing to make in-game adjustments. I think his willingness to move things around will also help to make it a little harder for other teams to game plan. 

• Upvote 1

I missed the 5 things that are likely to be done to improve the defense.  I might add that PB will use multiple formations and the same player might not excel in all formations so that the starter and the backup could switch positions against different opponents.