Jump to content
  • Welcome to GoMeanGreen.com!

    Thank you for visiting us!  Registering is easy and free, and provides you with the ability to participate in the discussions along with many cool features and content.

What are chances that Hamlet and Reese return if they don't get the deal they want?


Recommended Posts

It would be great if we could get both Hamlet and Reese back for another year.  I think that Hamlet is good enough for the NBA and I wish him success but if he doesn't make it this time and doesn't want to play overseas then maybe he'd return for another try.  I believe that Reese is looking for an elite team as a showcase for his talents and if he doesn't get one then I believe that he might return.  I also wish that we could get another big man with the equivalent of Simmons talent but I know that they are as scarce as hen's teeth.  With the talent that is coming in, I believe that the bench will be stronger.  If we could get back-to-back Dance performances it would go a long way to maintaining status as a rising "power".

  • Upvote 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, greenjoe said:

I like this scenario but it’s my understanding that when a player signs with an agent his collegiate status is over.  With that said (!) how is Aune still playing ?

Losing your amateur eligibility does not extend to multiple sports. Just the one you sign with an agent in.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BillySee58 said:

Losing your amateur eligibility does not extend to multiple sports. Just the one you sign with an agent in.

I don't think you lose your college eligibility as long as you do not sign a contract with a pro team, or retain the agent. 

Hamlet and Simmons could return, although that is a very long shot.

I doubt Simmons has any hopes of signing with the NBA, and he will be able to get an international contract.  

Hamlet is predicted to be a late second round pick or go undrafted.  Even if Hamlet chooses to return to college ball, it may not be to NT. 

  • Upvote 2
  • Like 1
  • Downvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

I don't think you lose your college eligibility as long as you do not sign a contract with a pro team, or retain the agent. 

Hamlet and Simmons could return, although that is a very long shot.

I doubt Simmons has any hopes of signing with the NBA, and he will be able to get an international contract.  

Hamlet is predicted to be a late second round pick or go undrafted.  Even if Hamlet chooses to return to college ball, it may not be to NT. 

It’s over once you sign with the agent. You can enter your name in the draft and then withdraw it later, but only if you don’t sign with an agent. The moment you sign with an agent you are no longer an amateur athlete, whether you retain that agent or not.

  • Upvote 7
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Downvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, BillySee58 said:

It’s over once you sign with the agent. You can enter your name in the draft and then withdraw it later, but only if you don’t sign with an agent. The moment you sign with an agent you are no longer an amateur athlete, whether you retain that agent or not.

Apparently you and the NCAA disagree

NCAA Division I Agent Rules for Men’s Basketball Student-Athletes ncaa.org/commitment WINTER 2021 College Basketball Reform At the end of each men’s basketball season, a student athlete may sign with and be represented by an NCAA certified agent after he has requested an evaluation from the NBA Undergraduate Advisory Committee via email at UAC@nba.com.

Agreement with an NCAA-certified agent must be:

• In writing;

• Provided to the student-athlete’s school; and •

Terminated when the student-athlete returns to school.

Men’s basketball student-athletes who wish to retain NCAA Division I eligibility.

Edited by GrandGreen
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

When I was in high school, some of my friends participated in rodeo events.  The prizes awarded were usually fancy western belt buckles with the rodeo and the event engraved.  I understood that the buckles had to be mounted on a plaque and therefore useless as a buckle since a belt buckle had value in order to preserve one’s amateur status.  
 

We’ve come a long way.

GO MEAN GREEN

  • Upvote 1
  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

Apparently you and the NCAA disagree

NCAA Division I Agent Rules for Men’s Basketball Student-Athletes ncaa.org/commitment WINTER 2021 College Basketball Reform At the end of each men’s basketball season, a student athlete may sign with and be represented by an NCAA certified agent after he has requested an evaluation from the NBA Undergraduate Advisory Committee via email at UAC@nba.com.

Agreement with an NCAA-certified agent must be:

• In writing;

• Provided to the student-athlete’s school; and •

Terminated when the student-athlete returns to school.

Men’s basketball student-athletes who wish to retain NCAA Division I eligibility.

Yeah, you’re right, but only if the agent is an NCAA-certified agent. This is a recent rule change that the NCAA enacted when they created their system of having their own NCAA-certified agents.

If the player signs with an agent who is not on the NCAAs list of NCAA-certified agents then their eligibility is gone once they sign with that agent. Almost all of the big-name NBA agents did not bother getting NCAA certified when this became a rule last summer.

  • Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, greenjoe said:

When I was in high school, some of my friends participated in rodeo events.  The prizes awarded were usually fancy western belt buckles with the rodeo and the event engraved.  I understood that the buckles had to be mounted on a plaque and therefore useless as a buckle since a belt buckle had value in order to preserve one’s amateur status.  
 

We’ve come a long way.

GO MEAN GREEN

Found this in GreenJoe's high school yearbook.

Geico cowboy belt buckle commerical 2018 on Make a GIF

  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BillySee58 said:

Yeah, you’re right, but only if the agent is an NCAA-certified agent. This is a recent rule change that the NCAA enacted when they created their system of having their own NCAA-certified agents.

If the player signs with an agent who is not on the NCAAs list of NCAA-certified agents then their eligibility is gone once they sign with that agent. Almost all of the big-name NBA agents did not bother getting NCAA certified when this became a rule last summer.

Being this is a relatively new rule, I would imagine that a lot of players are going to see the value of using a NCAA-certified agent.  LIkewise, agents will become certified to represent a growing number of more informed athletes. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GrandGreen said:

Being this is a relatively new rule, I would imagine that a lot of players are going to see the value of using a NCAA-certified agent.  LIkewise, agents will become certified to represent a growing number of more informed athletes. 

We’ll see. Definitely interesting to track for the marginal guys. These were some of the agents’ feelings towards it at the time.

288489C0-C81E-4864-B0D3-81460B6D9E73.jpeg

EDBC0FC9-8221-4A29-A86D-CCBC914A3937.jpeg

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BillySee58 said:

We’ll see. Definitely interesting to track for the marginal guys. These were some of the agents’ feelings towards it at the time.

288489C0-C81E-4864-B0D3-81460B6D9E73.jpeg

EDBC0FC9-8221-4A29-A86D-CCBC914A3937.jpeg

Wow, agents don't like it: who would have thought that.

One reason to shun agents would be the attitude expressed in the first paragraph.   Yes, giving up an option to return to college is something that no "kid" should be interested in.  What hypocrisy. 

 

  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/9/2021 at 2:13 AM, BillySee58 said:

We’ll see. Definitely interesting to track for the marginal guys. These were some of the agents’ feelings towards it at the time.

288489C0-C81E-4864-B0D3-81460B6D9E73.jpeg

EDBC0FC9-8221-4A29-A86D-CCBC914A3937.jpeg

Its ok if they feel insulted. Most agents deserve to be insulted, as they are in it only for themselves, when they should be in it for their clients. The first paragraph shows that. A guy like that saying 1) its ok for their clients to give up options even if it may go wrong, and 2) that there is no care for bad actors are being kept out.

  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

I think it’s time to move on with others. I absolutely LOVE Javion, but Rubin is our prodigy now so I think we need to build around him and Drez.

I think that is our only option.

  • Upvote 1
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

Reese should be committing soon, be on the lookout. New Team shouldn’t surprise most

Pretty sure anything will surprise me. At least semi hoping it’s South Carolina (which they players may or may not have hinted to me about) because then at least it is truly close to home. I don’t see him starting there (at least immediately). 

Edited by Andrew
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Andrew said:

Pretty sure anything will surprise me. At least semi hoping it’s South Carolina (which they players may or may not have hinted to me about) because then at least it is truly close to home. I don’t see him starting there (at least immediately). 

He never said anything about wanting to go close to home. That was just a theory some on this board posited.

Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

He never said anything about wanting to go close to home. That was just a theory some on this board posited.

Or did he? At least to maybe a few teammates? Very possible. Of course then this board also ran with it. 
 

I would like to have a one on one conversation with him, but it’s a confusing situation. Constantly moving from school to school just like job to job is not always a solid resume or trust builder. 
 

 

  • Eye Roll 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Andrew said:

Or did he? At least to maybe a few teammates? Very possible. Of course then this board also ran with it. 
 

I would like to have a one on one conversation with him, but it’s a confusing situation. Constantly moving from school to school just like job to job is not always a solid resume or trust builder. 

Maybe he doesn’t want to play for a fan base that says this of him and his teammates during the critical minutes of a conference championship game that they went on to win.

“The starters are done. They are done. They aren’t going to get you the win.”

Edited by BillySee58
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

Maybe he doesn’t want to play for a fan base that says this of him and his teammates during the critical minutes of a conference championship game that they went on to win.

 

“The starters are done. They are done. They aren’t going to get you the win.”

Cbs All Access Reaction GIF by CBS

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Please review our full Privacy Policy before using our site.