DRC: Way-too-early look at UNT's 2021 schedule

Brett Vito

The 2021 schedule is just brutal for where we are right now. Besides the Northwestern State game, the other three OOC games are against teams just way above our talent level right now--and two of those are on the road, not that SMU will feel like a true road game.

I see it like this:

NW State--win

@SMU--loss

UAB--loss

@LT--loss

@Mizzou--loss

Marshall--tossup

Liberty--loss

@Rice--win

@USM--loss

UTEP--win

@FIU--tossup

UTSA--loss

I'm on record for us to be a 4 win team again. We just don't have the horses on defense yet, nor do we have an OL I am confident in, while again probably having a new QB. 

This year will be very interesting--the UNT 17 paid for us to buy out DMac after that Portland State debacle, thankfully and mercifully. He has two years left after this season, which means we buy him out after a bad season this year or he coaches with a huge ultimatum in 2022, knowing that we won't let him coach in 2023 as a lame duck, as that would just kill recruiting and any chance of keeping the locker room on his side.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 2
  • RV 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 3
  • Downvote 5

I’ll call for us to be at least .500 this year.  I think we obviously win game 1.  Then we’ll take one of the UAB/LaTech games.  We probably lose the schmoo, Mizzou and Liberty games.  But then I agree with Brett, the schedule gets easier from there and we finish the season on a win streak.   Not going to pick individual games, because I still see us being inconsistent, but put me down for 6-6 or 7-5.  Also, I don’t care how badly UTSA whooped us last year.  That’s a win this year.

Littrell has proven he can get to .500 with just a serviceable defense.  Bennett isn’t going to deliver a world beater defense in year one, but it is going to be much improved over last year and will get better as we get games and experience.

Edited by TIgreen01
  • Upvote 1

12 hours ago, DeepGreen said:

So we're back to where we were after the bowl win over UNLV.

I am not sure why anyone thinks we don’t have a competent OL. Our pass defense and run blocking was so much better last year. Our OL was by far the most improved unit on the team. And maybe we end up with a new starting QB but if we do, it’s a good thing. It would mean that Ruder is as talented as advertised and beat out the returning starter. 
We might only win four games again next year, but I kind of doubt it. With CUSA being so inconsistent and unpredictable we are probably more likely to win 6.

• Upvote 7

8 hours ago, 97and03 said:

I am not sure why anyone thinks we don’t have a competent OL. Our pass defense and run blocking was so much better last year. Our OL was by far the most improved unit on the team. And maybe we end up with a new starting QB but if we do, it’s a good thing. It would mean that Ruder is as talented as advertised and beat out the returning starter. 
We might only win four games again next year, but I kind of doubt it. With CUSA being so inconsistent and unpredictable we are probably more likely to win 6.

You're exactly right about the OL & QB situations.   One was MARKEDLY better in just 1 season under Coach Bloesch.   The other is a returning starter who can manage Littrell's offense well.  He's no Mason Fine, but that's a luxury we're not going to get every year.
I know we lose Darden, and that's a huge blow, but we'll get Shorter back, and it sounds like Littrell is scheming ways to get both Torrey & Addaway on the field at the same time, which sounds like it could cause all kinds of matchup problems for opposing defenses.

How our season will go boils down to the improvement the defense shows.   Again, if the defense can somehow crawl up to top 1/2 in the league, we win 7-8 games.   If the hole from last-place defense to top-half defense is too big to get out of in 1 season under coach Bennett and we continue to struggle defensively, we're likely looking at around 4-5 wins.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, greenminer said:

Anyone who actually wants SL out the door has no faith that he will get over the title hump.  or really really really despises "at the end of the day." lol

Anyone who actually thinks we couldn't do better... Etc etc. The guy is a lame duck at this point. We deserve better. 

Plus, no. I don't think he can get over the hump. I HOPE he can. I wish he could. But he's over his head and his paygrade

• Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 3

3 hours ago, Udomann said:

Anyone who actually thinks we couldn't do better... Etc etc. The guy is a lame duck at this point. We deserve better. 

Plus, no. I don't think he can get over the hump. I HOPE he can. I wish he could. But he's over his head and his paygrade

We def deserve better, and I personally think SL has set up our roster for future success.  2021 will reveal a clearer picture of how SL handles this new talent on the field.

I know there's a lot of back and forth about the quality of recruits.  But I feel like there's not enough discussion about how we really need SL to work out.

The way I read your first post, it sounded like you hope and wish he fails.

• Upvote 3

33 minutes ago, greenminer said:

We def deserve better, and I personally think SL has set up our roster for future success.  2021 will reveal a clearer picture of how SL handles this new talent on the field.

I know there's a lot of back and forth about the quality of recruits.  But I feel like there's not enough discussion about how we really need SL to work out.

I'll give him last year. First year without an all time great QB at the helm. Now this year I feel like there's almost no excuse, even with Bennett being in his first year. 

This year's team is the bed Seth has made, and he's gotta lie in it. Good or bad. Unfortunately I don't think it'll be enough personally, but I'm a pessimist. 

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

Like others have posted, I see at least/minimum 6 wins. The Defense will be better, the QB play will be better (whether it’s Aune or Ruder), the OL is solid, and there is a lot of talent in the WR/RB department.  

I don’t think I have on my green glasses. This team will have some young parts, but they’ll mature through the season and finish strong with a Bowl Win!  GMG!

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, greenminer said:

I'm a UNT football fan, I never want to see us fail. If SL pulls through I will eat a crow and post it on Tik tok. Sadly, history is not in favor of that. I truly want to see him pull a rabbit out of his 2 million dollar hat, but at that price tag we could have done so much better...

Edited by Udomann

43 minutes ago, Udomann said:

I'm a UNT football fan, I never want to see us fail. If SL pulls through I will eat a crow and post it on Tik tok. Sadly, history is not in favor of that. I truly want to see him pull a rabbit out of his 2 million dollar hat, but at that price tag we could have done so much better...

I do believe there is GMG precedent for this. 

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, Udomann said:

Yet, he wasn't three year ago.  Littrell is not a lame duck, I doubt there is any desire among the decision makers to fire him. 

Actually, I find it unfair to judge almost any coach on last years results.   It is impossible for anyone on this board to know the effects Coronavirus had on the record.   It could be positive or negative when compared to other programs.  What is known without doubt, is the virus was a major factor in the ability to perform. 

One thing I did notice last year, is that it seemed that NT had a lot more players miss games than most or maybe all the CUSA  opponents.   

I am a lot more positive than you and many others.  Littrell's recruiting has gotten better and he has hired Bennett which will help the defense.   

As far as Seph's future,, he will be evaluated after the year like every coach is.  If NT wins 6 or more, he will not be terminated.  Playing less than .500 ball will endanger his return.  However, he will still have a big payoff due to the unfortunate contract that NT awarded him. 

A lot will depend on end of season results.  Blowout loses and he is probably gone.  A good finish and he very well may get an extension.