Golf other alumni

outoftown

• 2 months later...

With Munoz and Ortiz off this week, it may be a good moment to look at some of NTs other alumni again.

First lets stay in the Americas, where -by my count- 3 NT alumni are teeing it up on the PGA Latinoamerica this week (third level of professional golf). That tour had many cancelled events because the VID is still strong in south America. Because of whether only half the players finished their 2nd round on friday. Rubio and Villasana will miss the cut, but Cazaubon is currently tied for 4th.

Next lets go to Europe, and there is good news there on the second level of professional golf, the challenge tour. While Rosenmueller who plays regularly on that tour missed the cut.

However Kristof Ulnaers is killing it on his first start there: leading the field by 4 shots after two rounds! Lets hope they don't pull a john Rahm on him). or those who wonder: that challenge tour tournament has a total purse of 200k Euros (240k$) He got that start after having so far a great season on the pro golf tour (third level,) where he finished in second last week and is currently 5th on the order of merit (which totals about 10k in winnings).

Meanwhile Ian Snyman just keeps playing great on that Big easy tour in south Africa (third level I guess), and has made 4 top 20 results in a row and won a second one of those tournaments. Since that is a small tour I assume that is about 3k in winnings all together for him.

Edited by outoftown
  • Upvote 7

Thank you for these great, thorough updates. I didn't know about some of the guys. I knew about Carlos and Sebastian, of course....and knew of Cazaubon. I had hopes that Snyman and Churchman were on some tour. But I had no idea about the others. And thanks for the info on Cazaubon, Snyman, and Churchman. (and how they're doing on current tours). 

It will be really nice if either of our really good lady golfers...Lauren Cox or Audrey Tan....get a shot at the LPGA. I know Audrey is just a junior....and has one more year here.

We had an alum on the LPGA for a year or two. A Swedish gal named Nina Reis. She never won....or even challenged....but she made the cut a few times.

Thanks again for these updates....

Edited by SUMG
  • Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

Update: Ulnaers won this weeks challenge tour by 5 shots. This netted 32k euros ( a little under 40k dollar). That should get him an immediate upgrade so he can play at least on that tour this year.

Cazaubon finished 10th on the PGA Latinoamerica this week. That didn't really move the needle much.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, outoftown said:

Update: Ulnaers won this weeks challenge tour by 5 shots. This netted 32k euros ( a little under 40k dollar). That should get him an immediate upgrade so he can play at least on that tour this year.

Cazaubon finished 10th on the PGA Latinoamerica this week. That didn't really move the needle much.

The Ulnaers win is incredible. Out of nowhere. To being in position to grab a European tour card. Just needs to play solid the rest of the challenge tour season. 

• Upvote 3

The Challenge tour is having a second tournament right t the same place as the last one and it already started on tuesday. Ulnaers is taking advantage and playing well again, tied for third one shot behind after two Rounds. Rosenmueller missed the cut again.

If Ulnaers can stay in the top 20 of the tours overall ranking he'll get privileges for the european tour next season. Currently he is 12th.

• Upvote 2

On 6/14/2021 at 1:00 AM, outoftown said:

Accepting the trophy

https://www.europeantour.com/challenge-tour/news/articles/detail/a-star-is-born-in-cadiz-as-ulenaers-claims-dominant-victory-on-pro-debut/

image.png.577b31de80c9a08ead8b3d984e2b0e85.png

Edited by El Paso Eagle
  • Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1

20 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Hadn't seen that. pretty awesome that he is wearing the UNT golf shirt and that North Texas is mentioned in the article

Edited by outoftown
  • Upvote 3

4 hours ago, outoftown said:

Hadn't seen that. pretty awesome that he is wearing the UNT golf shirt and that North Texas is mentioned in the article

I would hope UNT would supply him, and others with all of the clotting they want. Great way to reach young golfers.

PS, supposedly this is his picture after the check ceremony
200w.gif?cid=82a1493b5s0evn1sks79lr2o3dg 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

Great to see we have so many alumni doing well!

Side note: As a golfer and UNT alum it's frustrating that we have next to no golf apparel/accessories available to purchase. 

Agree 1000%!  I emailed the golf coach to see about buying one of those white NT golf hats, the one with Scrappy swinging a golf club, UNT in the side.  He said they would be getting some in, or some excuse.  Haven’t heard from him in well over two months. I have the black cap and it’s really cool.  I’m with you. Why they don’t make this stuff available to fans is beyond me. For me, I want to wear what the coaches/team wears.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, DeepGreen said:

Agree 1000%!  I emailed the golf coach to see about buying one of those white NT golf hats, the one with Scrappy swinging a golf club, UNT in the side.  He said they would be getting some in, or some excuse.  Haven’t heard from him in well over two months. I have the black cap and it’s really cool.  I’m with you. Why they don’t make this stuff available to fans is beyond me. For me, I want to wear what the coaches/team wears.

I love that hat! They've also worn some really cool polos in the past that I would buy in a heart beat. But all we get are the generic Nike polos that go out to every Nike school in the country at the start of Football season.

I've also seen our softball coaches wearing this hat and I CANNOT understand why the AD doesn't make it available for purchase. The few times I've reached out in the past on Twitter to people like Wren the only answer I seem to get is like, "Sorry, that item is team issue only." Extremely frustrating...

image.png.af33162b3c27206522d41700eae74de3.png

• Sad 1