DRC: UNT forward Zachary Simmons has signed with an agent and will go pro

2 hours ago, Andrew said:

So essentially he is just going to try to go play in Europe or South America. Very odd choice.

Not really. We've had others who have gone that route, and were planning that as they were finishing up at UNT. It's just another way to go pro, and maybe make it to the NBA eventually. Some do make it to the bigs that way.

• Upvote 3

9 hours ago, greenminer said:

I don’t find it odd.

the end of the Simmons era. Thanks for everything, Zach.

I do because of the big four we had I felt like he was the least ready. I understand you can’t teach height, but Hamlet has the skills to go play overseas and make a good living. Bell probably has the highest ceiling and he is returning to better his chances in the future. 

I assumed Bell and Hamlet would be fine and Reese and Simmons would return. I’m allowed to think it’s not the correct decision but still hope the best for him. Sometimes agents really get in these kids heads, but you never know... lots of leagues out there and guys can make 30k-35k a year if they work it right. 

Potential does go a long way. For example guys like James Egenti and Alonzo Edwards actually a decent run at making it to the NBA D-Leauge but neither (at least I don’t believe this from talking/following) player overseas or are currently even playing anymore. Jordan Williams is still playing down south and doing really well but didn’t get a D-League look. So who knows what will happen. 

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 2
  • Downvote 7

13 hours ago, Andrew said:

So essentially he is just going to try to go play in Europe or South America. Very odd choice.

Just another in a series of mind numbing posts from you. There is nothing wrong with Zach going to play in Europe, South America, or any other country! I am grateful for all Zach has done for NT! 

• Upvote 8
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Andrew said:

I do because of the big four we had I felt like he was the least ready. I understand you can’t teach height, but Hamlet has the skills to go play overseas and make a good living. Bell probably has the highest ceiling and he is returning to better his chances in the future. 

I assumed Bell and Hamlet would be fine and Reese and Simmons would return. I’m allowed to think it’s not the correct decision but still hope the best for him. Sometimes agents really get in these kids heads, but you never know... lots of leagues out there and guys can make 30k-35k a year if they work it right. 

Potential does go a long way. For example guys like James Egenti and Alonzo Edwards actually a decent run at making it to the NBA D-Leauge but neither (at least I don’t believe this from talking/following) player overseas or are currently even playing anymore. Jordan Williams is still playing down south and doing really well but didn’t get a D-League look. So who knows what will happen. 

Zach has been here a while, right? It seems he has taken advantage of his time to learn a hard topic and to contribute and grow as a basketball player. Maybe he completed his degree?

Sometimes you have to take risks on things. The age these guys are at are when you are most free to take those chances. If it works out or not, he's going to have some great experiences in the coming years - wherever that takes him. I hope he has fond memories of what was accomplished here and that he stays connected to UNT.

Edited by MeanMag
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 3

I loved watching him play for the last four years and grow as a player.  I remember as freshman is was always in foul trouble but he got better and better.  What I loved this year he spent a lot of time talking with the freshman big man at timeouts and on the sideline.  

Edited by southsideguy
  • Upvote 3

9 hours ago, Andrew said:

I do because of the big four we had I felt like he was the least ready. I understand you can’t teach height,

Zach has four years of CBB in him.  I think 1) He feels a lot of accomplishment (as he should), and 2) one more year isn't going to do a whole lot for his stock.  So the timing isn't odd IMO.

I actually think Zach is about as ready as he will be, and will be fine.  Last I heard, international ball is very fluid, and doesn't require physicality (as much).  More speed and smarts, less under-the-basket brute force.  That seems right up Simmons' alley.

Perhaps you have reason to believe year 5 would put Zach next to a coach that will catapult him into solid Euro/SA readiness.  Care to explain that?

• Upvote 4

I loved watching this Mean Green team.  The personalities of each was refreshing & they were all so disciplined.  We all would have loved to have seen this team at the Big Dance last year to see how well they would have fared, but then came CV-19. 😟

Thanks,  Coach McCasland.👍👍

❇️🦅❇️

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, drex said:

If McCasland comes back, it will be a reload year, not a rebuild year.

I have concerns about the roster.

If Mac comes back, bare minimum we compete for the West.  Address the roster concerns and we could repeat or exceed our recent success.
If he doesn't come back, we might be middle-of-the-West tier.