Basketball celebration

Marty

I watched the live stream. All the players were there. Nice comments from Smatresk, he understands the value of athletics to the university. We’re fortunate to have him. Coach Mac is a great speaker also, he recognized all the behind the scenes crew as well as the coaches’ families that were in attendance. Hope we can keep Mac around for a while. 

• Upvote 5

So sad we cant be better as fans, this team and coach deserved to have all 1,500 or more fans there.   These guys brought pride back to the Mean Green and fans cant take an hour to thank them.  

For those who weren't there the coach told the story of the team and himself at practice during the rolling blackouts and pit about 30 degrees inside.  These guys were dedicated to the cause.   Please buy season tickets next year!

Edited by southsideguy
  • Upvote 5
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 1

49 minutes ago, southsideguy said:

So sad we cant be better as fans, this team and coach deserved to have all 1,500 or more fans there.   These guys brought pride back to the Mean Green and fans cant take an hour to thank them.  

For those who weren't there the coach told the story of the team and himself at practice during the rolling blackouts and pit about 30 degrees inside.  These guys were dedicated to the cause.   Please buy season tickets next year!

I see I got the downvotes and eye rolls,   I stand correct lack of fan support is a good thing I guess.  So don't show up get the next Benford in here and celebrate.....

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 2

58 minutes ago, southsideguy said:

Not everyone can drop their previous plans to drive to UNT on a Thursday.

I was there and I’ll say this. McCasland is the most friendly coach at UNT and of any that I’ve met. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, southsideguy said:

I see I got the downvotes and eye rolls,   I stand correct lack of fan support is a good thing I guess.  So don't show up get the next Benford in here and celebrate.....

I gave you a plus one.  Several others did as well.  Feels like you give us no credit for that.  Remember people bitch online more than they praise mostly.  I think you are a good poster.

• Thanks 1

The attendance limit made it tough.  While I probably wouldn’t have been able to make it because of work, I definitely wasn’t going to drive 2 hours if there was a chance that I was going to be turned away.

Students should have packed the place...15% full of course.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, NT93 said:

The attendance limit made it tough.  While I probably wouldn’t have been able to make it because of work, I definitely wasn’t going to drive 2 hours if there was a chance that I was going to be turned away.

Students should have packed the place...15% full of course.

Should have, yes. But we don’t even have students show up to games anymore. Pre-pandemic. Student attendance has never even come close to reaching what it was in the last couple years of the Jones era. 

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, drex said:

Who ever does student marketing for athletics has a long way to go...time to bring back the Athletic Top 20 student marketing group.

The demise of the Pit Crew, for whatever reason it happened, was really what seemed to coincide with the decline in attendance. The Pit Crew was student run (SGA helped a lot with the organizing) and had major buy in from the Athletic Department. Bringing that back would be worth a try, but have no idea what appetite any of the above groups would have for it these days. 

• Upvote 5

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/10/2021 at 7:28 AM, Tom McKrackin said:

I think I heard that Emmit and Rudy and other of the Talons were helping build that group up for a time.  Since they have moved on it hasn't really been the same organization.

The Pit Crew didn't really start until all of them had already graduated.

On 4/10/2021 at 9:28 AM, Tom McKrackin said:

I think I heard that Emmit and Rudy and other of the Talons were helping build that group up for a time.  Since they have moved on it hasn't really been the same organization.

Always say them at tailgating events and games as a kid (well younger). Emitt beat me in a FG kicking  contest way way back in the day haha.