UPDATE ON TECH AND MCCASLAND

1 hour ago, akriesman said:

Ugghh.   I look forward to the day when Texas Tech is not an upgrade over North Texas.    They have the Big 12 and nothing else compared to UNT.

And.....it's freaking Lubbock.

They were runner-up in 2019. I am not sure how you define upgrade but the rest of the people on this planet think that means it is a better program. 
Also, in math class we learned that a $5 million salary is 10 times higher than a 500k salary. 

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 3
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, akriesman said:

Ugghh.   I look forward to the day when Texas Tech is not an upgrade over North Texas.    They have the Big 12 and nothing else compared to UNT.

And.....it's freaking Lubbock.

They have the B12 and nothing else?

I’m with you,  think Lubbock is LaJunk, but it is precisely because they are in the B12 that they have nearly 10x the resources and leverage compared to us in nearly every talking point. Money. Exposure. Facilities. Fudruckers

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

I don’t get the whole “move up” thing in basketball. Basketball is one of the sports we play where there isn’t a mid-major ceiling like in football. We advanced farther than Texas and the same as Tech this year. If we hadn’t faced a Villanova having the best 3 pointer day of their life, we may have advanced farther than Tech. The only draw I see here is money.

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 2

46 minutes ago, NorthTexan95 said:

Doug Gottlieb was on 105.3 the Fan this morning and said he would be surprised if Grant didn't get either the Tech or OU job.  He says everyone believes Grant is ready for a bigger job.  

Bell staying, gives me hope. GMG

• Upvote 3

The athletic department is hosting a celebration of the basketball team on Thursday at the Super Pit...would they have scheduled that if Grant was going to be a no show?  I have hope that we keep him...having said that, Wren will find another good coach if McCasland leaves.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, greenminer said:

They have the B12 and nothing else?

I’m with you,  think Lubbock is LaJunk, but it is precisely because they are in the B12 that they have nearly 10x the resources and leverage compared to us in nearly every talking point. Money. Exposure. Facilities. Fudruckers

Tech has lots and lots of petroleum money.  They were paying Beard more than UT was paying Smart.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Cr1028 said:

I don’t get the whole “move up” thing in basketball. Basketball is one of the sports we play where there isn’t a mid-major ceiling like in football. We advanced farther than Texas and the same as Tech this year. If we hadn’t faced a Villanova having the best 3 pointer day of their life, we may have advanced farther than Tech. The only draw I see here is money.

Name the last Mid Major to win the title.

Gonzaga is the favorite this year, but you have to basically go all the way back to UNLV to find one that has won the title.  Memphis and UMass got close, but Calipari was involved with both (and each went on probation after he left).

Edited by CMJ
  • Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, CMJ said:

Name the last Mid Major to win the title.

Gonzaga is the favorite this year, but you have to basically go all the way back to UNLV to find one that has won the title.  Memphis and UMass got close, but Calipari was involved with both (and each went on probation after he left).

I understand that but name the last time a Big 12 team not named Kansas won the championship.